Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > One more thing about the new Star Wars DVDs...

One more thing about the new Star Wars DVDs...

Aaron J. Bossig

With all the changes to look for, there is one that should
be obvious, but isn't, at first.

The new DVD box set is titled and advertised as "Star Wars Trilogy".
Unlike the previous releases on LD and VHS, this set has dropped
the "Special Edition" moniker. Perhaps Lucas no longer feels the need
to differentiate these from the originals, and maybe in a few years,
he'll be acting like there never were any changes, they'd been
that way ever since 1977!

Yeah, it's a tad absurd, but with the situation the way it is, it doesn't
seem that anything is too absurd. I'm sorry if this has been commented on
before, but I must have missed it amidst all the Greedo talk.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com

TB

"Aaron J. Bossig" wrote:

> With all the changes to look for, there is one that should
> be obvious, but isn't, at first.
>
> The new DVD box set is titled and advertised as "Star Wars Trilogy".
> Unlike the previous releases on LD and VHS, this set has dropped
> the "Special Edition" moniker. Perhaps Lucas no longer feels the need
> to differentiate these from the originals, and maybe in a few years,
> he'll be acting like there never were any changes, they'd been
> that way ever since 1977!
>
> Yeah, it's a tad absurd, but with the situation the way it is, it doesn't
> seem that anything is too absurd. I'm sorry if this has been commented on
> before, but I must have missed it amidst all the Greedo talk.

Hey, it's happened with "Close Encounters of the Third Kind."

T.B.

Sue

TB wrote:
> "Aaron J. Bossig" wrote:
>

>>With all the changes to look for, there is one that should
>>be obvious, but isn't, at first.
>>
>>The new DVD box set is titled and advertised as "Star Wars Trilogy".
>>Unlike the previous releases on LD and VHS, this set has dropped
>>the "Special Edition" moniker. Perhaps Lucas no longer feels the need
>>to differentiate these from the originals, and maybe in a few years,
>>he'll be acting like there never were any changes, they'd been
>>that way ever since 1977!
>>
>>Yeah, it's a tad absurd, but with the situation the way it is, it doesn't
>>seem that anything is too absurd. I'm sorry if this has been commented on
>>before, but I must have missed it amidst all the Greedo talk.

I noitced that, too! Very odd. It may be that Lucas sees no need to
point out the difference, since he's stated the original versions will
never be released again.

I've heard of some people returning their sets because they thought they
were the original, unaltered versions, but I'm not sure if that's true
or not. It wouldn't surprise me, however, because there's nothing on the
box to indicate that the films inside are any different from the
1977/1980/1983 releases.

Sue

Joshua Zyber

"Aaron J. Bossig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The new DVD box set is titled and advertised as "Star Wars Trilogy".
> Unlike the previous releases on LD and VHS, this set has dropped
> the "Special Edition" moniker. Perhaps Lucas no longer feels the need
> to differentiate these from the originals, and maybe in a few years,
> he'll be acting like there never were any changes, they'd been
> that way ever since 1977!

Lucas did the same thing for the last VHS release as well.

Eric R.

"Aaron J. Bossig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> The new DVD box set is titled and advertised as "Star Wars Trilogy".
> Unlike the previous releases on LD and VHS, this set has dropped
> the "Special Edition" moniker.

Actually, he started this with the last VHS release. I knew he would
do this back in 1997. Lucas is a big Orwell fan (and I'm not kidding
here, he really is) and is attempting to rewrite history. And he's
doing it pretty successfully too. In 20 years, how many people will
even realize that Han shot Greedo first?

-Eric

RichC

"Aaron J. Bossig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> The new DVD box set is titled and advertised as "Star Wars Trilogy".
> Unlike the previous releases on LD and VHS, this set has dropped
> the "Special Edition" moniker.

Aside from that, what I wonder is this: If Episodes IV-VI are "The
Star Wars Trilogy," then what trilogy is Episodes I-III? "The Other
Star Wars Trilogy"?

RichC

TB

"RichC" wrote:

> > The new DVD box set is titled and advertised as "Star Wars Trilogy".
> > Unlike the previous releases on LD and VHS, this set has dropped
> > the "Special Edition" moniker.

> Aside from that, what I wonder is this: If Episodes IV-VI are "The
> Star Wars Trilogy," then what trilogy is Episodes I-III? "The Other
> Star Wars Trilogy"?

The Star Wars Crapology.

T.B.

Yazandtony

I think the better question is in 20 years how many people will actually CARE
that Han shot first?

Justin

Yazandtony wrote on [06 Oct 2004 17:55:41 GMT]:
> I think the better question is in 20 years how many people will actually CARE
> that Han shot first?

Hmmmm, most of the people that care now. And then some...

Smaug69

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Eric R.) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) om>...
> "Aaron J. Bossig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>
> > The new DVD box set is titled and advertised as "Star Wars Trilogy".
> > Unlike the previous releases on LD and VHS, this set has dropped
> > the "Special Edition" moniker.

> Actually, he started this with the last VHS release. I knew he would
> do this back in 1997. Lucas is a big Orwell fan (and I'm not kidding
> here, he really is) and is attempting to rewrite history. And he's
> doing it pretty successfully too. In 20 years, how many people will
> even realize that Han shot Greedo first?

Well, if I am still around, and Lucas hasn't hunted down and killed
all of us Original Trilogy Jedi then I will know.

Smaug69