Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > How about,(less than one season,) TV series?

How about,(less than one season,) TV series?

Invid Fan

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Dale Hicks
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
> says...
> >
> > No because where does that leave shows that shot 13, and
> > aired 13, and would have gotten say a 22 episode season if
> > the network hadn't cancelled them? No, "What is your
> > favourite one season TV show?" means something beyond the
> > pilot (if it had one), and less than or equal to one planned
> > full season, regardless as to whether all the episodes aired
> > or not.

> Say, no one's mentioned "Girls Club" yet.
>
> I think that series that were planned to be series, yet only managed to
> get a pilot aired, should still be theoretically eligible.

Depends on if it was a "backdoor" pilot, a show aired once that will
become a regular series if it does well. For example, both Babylon 5
and the new Battlestar Galactica are examples of shows that were
greenlighted for series after the pilots aired. The Babylon 5: Rangers
tv movie is a pilot that failed to do well enough to go to series.

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

jayembee

Invid Fan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Depends on if it was a "backdoor" pilot, a show aired
> once that will become a regular series if it does well.
> For example, both Babylon 5 and the new Battlestar
> Galactica are examples of shows that were greenlighted
> for series after the pilots aired. The Babylon 5: Rangers
> tv movie is a pilot that failed to do well enough to go
> to series.

"Backdoor pilot" is usually reserved for a series whose
pilot was done as an episode of an already established
series. Thus, the series "slips in through the back door".

A notable successful example is the MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E.
episode "The Moonglow Affair", which was a backdoor pilot
for the spin-off series THE GIRL FROM U.N.C.L.E. A notable
unsuccessful example is the STAR TREK episode "Assignment:
Earth".

-- jayembee

Invid Fan

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, jayembee
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Invid Fan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Depends on if it was a "backdoor" pilot, a show aired
> > once that will become a regular series if it does well.
> > For example, both Babylon 5 and the new Battlestar
> > Galactica are examples of shows that were greenlighted
> > for series after the pilots aired. The Babylon 5: Rangers
> > tv movie is a pilot that failed to do well enough to go
> > to series.

> "Backdoor pilot" is usually reserved for a series whose
> pilot was done as an episode of an already established
> series. Thus, the series "slips in through the back door".

The US Doctor Who tv movie was called one, so I assumed the term was
used for anything that was aired to judge interest in a show becoming a
regular series.

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Derek Janssen

jayembee wrote:

>>Depends on if it was a "backdoor" pilot, a show aired
>>once that will become a regular series if it does well.
>>For example, both Babylon 5 and the new Battlestar
>>Galactica are examples of shows that were greenlighted
>>for series after the pilots aired. The Babylon 5: Rangers
>>tv movie is a pilot that failed to do well enough to go
>>to series.

> "Backdoor pilot" is usually reserved for a series whose
> pilot was done as an episode of an already established
> series. Thus, the series "slips in through the back door".

As noted by the fact that USA's "The 4400" has already gone to disk as
"The Complete First Season".
Which is as fair a warning as we'll get.

Derek Janssen (look, it's Sci-Fi, and they're weasels, okay?)
(E-Mail Removed)

Video Flyer

On 10/7/04 9:51 AM, in article
(E-Mail Removed), "jayembee"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Invid Fan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Depends on if it was a "backdoor" pilot, a show aired
>> once that will become a regular series if it does well.
>> For example, both Babylon 5 and the new Battlestar
>> Galactica are examples of shows that were greenlighted
>> for series after the pilots aired. The Babylon 5: Rangers
>> tv movie is a pilot that failed to do well enough to go
>> to series.

> "Backdoor pilot" is usually reserved for a series whose
> pilot was done as an episode of an already established
> series. Thus, the series "slips in through the back door".
>
> A notable successful example is the MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E.
> episode "The Moonglow Affair", which was a backdoor pilot
> for the spin-off series THE GIRL FROM U.N.C.L.E. A notable
> unsuccessful example is the STAR TREK episode "Assignment:
> Earth".
>
> -- jayembee

Hey, I'd forgotten Assignment: Earth was going to be a series. Any idea if
it ever reached the stage of actually filming an episode?

Neal

jayembee

Video Flyer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hey, I'd forgotten Assignment: Earth was going to be a
> series. Any idea if it ever reached the stage of actually
> filming an episode?

It didn't.

-- jayembee

jayembee

Invid Fan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> "Backdoor pilot" is usually reserved for a series whose
>> pilot was done as an episode of an already established
>> series. Thus, the series "slips in through the back door".
>>

> The US Doctor Who tv movie was called one, so I assumed
> the term was used for anything that was aired to judge
> interest in a show becoming a regular series.

I think that's just as example of someone using the term
incorrectly. Just as "prequel" refers to a story that's
set before another one, but was written/filmed *after* it,
when some people use it to mean any story taking place
before another one regardless of when it was created with
respect to the other one.

-- jayembee

Mark Spatny

jayembee,(E-Mail Removed) says...

> Then we get into the problem of defining "cancelled". The
> way I see it, if a network makes an initial order of 13
> episodes, and decides not to order the back nine, that's
> just deciding not to renew it, just as if it was the end
> of the season, and they decide not to renew for a second
> season.

I suspect if you worked on a show that didn't get picked up for the back
nine you'd see it differently. You wouldn't say "wow, that was a nice
first season". You'd say "crap, my show got cancelled. We didn't even
make it through the first season".

Mark Spatny
Veteran of two shows that didn't get picked up for the back nine.

jayembee

Mark Spatny <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> jayembee,(E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>> Then we get into the problem of defining "cancelled". The
>> way I see it, if a network makes an initial order of 13
>> episodes, and decides not to order the back nine, that's
>> just deciding not to renew it, just as if it was the end
>> of the season, and they decide not to renew for a second
>> season.

> I suspect if you worked on a show that didn't get picked
> up for the back nine you'd see it differently. You wouldn't
> say "wow, that was a nice first season". You'd say "crap,
> my show got cancelled. We didn't even make it through the
> first season".

Perhaps. But since I haven't worked on such a show -- and
am not likely to ever -- my perspective is as it is. That's
the way of the world.

-- jayembee

dvdguy2@webtv.net

jayembee wrote: The only way you could have a show that ran less than
one season is if it didn't run at all.

that isn't correct. There was at least one show, intended to be a weekly
series and was scheduled as such, and that
because of a tv station in my area, was cancelled by the whole network,
all across the whole country, before the program was even over during
its first and only telecast.

It was the fastest cancellation of any tv program in history.

so even though part of it aired, no one across the whole country ever
saw the conclusion of it on tv since the network cancelled it in
mid-episode on the first episode before it was over, because of one of
the tv stations in my area demanding to the network that it better be
cancelled right away.