Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Tmpgenc clean install problems, unsupported type

Tmpgenc clean install problems, unsupported type

clay

I recently decided to do a clean xp install. Instead of the way I usually
did it by backing stuff up (I never remember everything), I choose a
different method. I split my windows partition into and installed xp onto
the "new" partition. Here is where my Tmpgenc problems lies.

On my old xp Tmpgenc works great no problems at all. I use svcd2dvd to
convert .bin vcd's to dvd_mpg (of coarse just altering the sound and
faking out the video heading). Then I just run the two _dvd files that
svcd2dvd makes through tmpgenc and make each one about 50% so I can fit
both Bin's onto 1 dvd after they are fully converted. This process takes
about 3 hours (the tmpgenc part) but the dvds work on everyplayer for the
most part and It's the only thing I can find that works.

But when I installed tmpgenc onto my new partition it says the same
dvd_mpg files that it could read on the old partition are unsupported and
cant be opened. I think that I am missing some sort of codec or some
other program tmpgenc needs in order to read these types of files.

I've searched all over and installed a few codec's . None would work.
Tmpgenc works great on the old partition but I need to do a clean install
and need to get it working on this new one so I can erase the old one.

Please help

andre

clay wrote:
> I recently decided to do a clean xp install. Instead of the way I usually
> did it by backing stuff up (I never remember everything), I choose a
> different method. I split my windows partition into and installed xp onto
> the "new" partition. Here is where my Tmpgenc problems lies.
>
> On my old xp Tmpgenc works great no problems at all. I use svcd2dvd to
> convert .bin vcd's to dvd_mpg (of coarse just altering the sound and
> faking out the video heading). Then I just run the two _dvd files that
> svcd2dvd makes through tmpgenc and make each one about 50% so I can fit
> both Bin's onto 1 dvd after they are fully converted. This process takes
> about 3 hours (the tmpgenc part) but the dvds work on everyplayer for the
> most part and It's the only thing I can find that works.
>
> But when I installed tmpgenc onto my new partition it says the same
> dvd_mpg files that it could read on the old partition are unsupported and
> cant be opened. I think that I am missing some sort of codec or some
> other program tmpgenc needs in order to read these types of files.
>
> I've searched all over and installed a few codec's . None would work.
> Tmpgenc works great on the old partition but I need to do a clean install
> and need to get it working on this new one so I can erase the old one.
>
> Please help

Sounds like the VFAPI codec. Try using one of the codec packs (Nimo or
Tsunami). They should include everything you need.

Andre

--
----------------------------------
http://www.aguntherphotography.com

Roger Kirkland

andre wrote:
> clay wrote:
>
>> I recently decided to do a clean xp install. Instead of the way I
>> usually
>> did it by backing stuff up (I never remember everything), I choose a
>> different method. I split my windows partition into and installed xp
>> onto
>> the "new" partition. Here is where my Tmpgenc problems lies.
>>
>> On my old xp Tmpgenc works great no problems at all. I use svcd2dvd to
>> convert .bin vcd's to dvd_mpg (of coarse just altering the sound and
>> faking out the video heading). Then I just run the two _dvd files that
>> svcd2dvd makes through tmpgenc and make each one about 50% so I can fit
>> both Bin's onto 1 dvd after they are fully converted. This process takes
>> about 3 hours (the tmpgenc part) but the dvds work on everyplayer for the
>> most part and It's the only thing I can find that works.
>>
>> But when I installed tmpgenc onto my new partition it says the same
>> dvd_mpg files that it could read on the old partition are unsupported and
>> cant be opened. I think that I am missing some sort of codec or some
>> other program tmpgenc needs in order to read these types of files.
>>
>> I've searched all over and installed a few codec's . None would work.
>> Tmpgenc works great on the old partition but I need to do a clean install
>> and need to get it working on this new one so I can erase the old one.
>>
>> Please help

> Sounds like the VFAPI codec. Try using one of the codec packs (Nimo or
> Tsunami). They should include everything you need.
>
> Andre

No go it didnt work, i installed both sets of codecs. Do you know any
programs in linux than can do the same as tmpgenc? or a program that can
be used to convert .bins (svcd telesync's) into full blown dvds?

This is killing me.

andre

Roger Kirkland wrote:
> andre wrote:
>
>> clay wrote:
>>
>>> I recently decided to do a clean xp install. Instead of the way I
>>> usually
>>> did it by backing stuff up (I never remember everything), I choose a
>>> different method. I split my windows partition into and installed xp
>>> onto
>>> the "new" partition. Here is where my Tmpgenc problems lies.
>>>
>>> On my old xp Tmpgenc works great no problems at all. I use svcd2dvd to
>>> convert .bin vcd's to dvd_mpg (of coarse just altering the sound and
>>> faking out the video heading). Then I just run the two _dvd files that
>>> svcd2dvd makes through tmpgenc and make each one about 50% so I can fit
>>> both Bin's onto 1 dvd after they are fully converted. This process
>>> takes
>>> about 3 hours (the tmpgenc part) but the dvds work on everyplayer for
>>> the
>>> most part and It's the only thing I can find that works.
>>>
>>> But when I installed tmpgenc onto my new partition it says the same
>>> dvd_mpg files that it could read on the old partition are unsupported
>>> and
>>> cant be opened. I think that I am missing some sort of codec or some
>>> other program tmpgenc needs in order to read these types of files.
>>>
>>> I've searched all over and installed a few codec's . None would
>>> work. Tmpgenc works great on the old partition but I need to do a
>>> clean install
>>> and need to get it working on this new one so I can erase the old one.
>>>
>>> Please help

>> Sounds like the VFAPI codec. Try using one of the codec packs (Nimo or
>> Tsunami). They should include everything you need.
>>
>> Andre
>>

> No go it didnt work, i installed both sets of codecs. Do you know any
> programs in linux than can do the same as tmpgenc? or a program that can
> be used to convert .bins (svcd telesync's) into full blown dvds?
>
> This is killing me.

Oh. Now i got it. The bin is actually a disc image. So i am not
surprised TMPG won't read it. Get a program like WinISO or something
that can extract bin. Or you simply burn it using Nero or something
else. I don't know if you had something on your old partition that
treated a bin like an archive (e.g. zip).

Andre
--
----------------------------------

andre wrote:
> Roger Kirkland wrote:
>
>> andre wrote:

>>> Sounds like the VFAPI codec. Try using one of the codec packs (Nimo
>>> or Tsunami). They should include everything you need.
>>>
>>> Andre
>>>

>> No go it didnt work, i installed both sets of codecs. Do you know any
>> programs in linux than can do the same as tmpgenc? or a program that
>> can be used to convert .bins (svcd telesync's) into full blown dvds?
>>
>> This is killing me.

> Oh. Now i got it. The bin is actually a disc image. So i am not
> surprised TMPG won't read it. Get a program like WinISO or something
> that can extract bin. Or you simply burn it using Nero or something
> else. I don't know if you had something on your old partition that
> treated a bin like an archive (e.g. zip).
>
> Andre

No, first i use svcd2dvd, this used vcdgear to rip it to mpg, then it
alters the audio and fakes out the video headers. This makes the movie
no more compadible than the old 2-cd way. But if i take the mpg's that
it produces, and then run THEM thru tmpgenc, it converts the video as
well. then i run the 2 huge mpgs thru svcd2dvd again to have it make it
into the audio and video folders then i burn it with nero