Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > RIP Janet Leigh

RIP Janet Leigh

Owl Jolson

She's finally gone to the great shower in the sky.

Nikki Dial

"Owl Jolson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> She's finally gone to the great shower in the sky.

At least she'll be clean when she turns up there.

idlethinker

"Nikki Dial" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<Ymb8d.203673$(E-Mail Removed). co.uk>...
> "Owl Jolson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > She's finally gone to the great shower in the sky.

> At least she'll be clean when she turns up there.

The radio stations I listened to this morning failed to mention
Janet's name. Instead they called her the "girl in the shower", as if
this generation wouldn't know who "Janet Leigh" was. I could only
shake my head in frustration and sadness...

-idlethinker
www.wizardneedsfoodbadly.com

Urra Dipschitt

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (idlethinker) wrote:

> Instead they called her the "girl in the shower", as if
> this generation wouldn't know who "Janet Leigh" was. I could only
> shake my head in frustration and sadness...

Are you nuts!? "Frustration and Sadness"? She was not some powerhouse of
an actress and, in terms of popularity, she never enjoyed any measure of
success comparable to what "Psycho" brought her. After "Psycho" what did
she do of note besides a couple of movies where her presence had little
impact?

I'm not trying to disrespect Ms. Leigh but what makes you think this
generation should know who she is, outside of Hitchcock fans or film
buffs?

idlethinker

Urra Dipschitt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) (idlethinker) wrote:
>
> > Instead they called her the "girl in the shower", as if
> > this generation wouldn't know who "Janet Leigh" was. I could only
> > shake my head in frustration and sadness...

> Are you nuts!? "Frustration and Sadness"? She was not some powerhouse of
> an actress and, in terms of popularity, she never enjoyed any measure of
> success comparable to what "Psycho" brought her. After "Psycho" what did
> she do of note besides a couple of movies where her presence had little
> impact?
>
> I'm not trying to disrespect Ms. Leigh but what makes you think this
> generation should know who she is, outside of Hitchcock fans or film
> buffs?

The frustrating thing is that the radio didn't even mention her name.
If I was in one of the most (if not *the* most) famous scene in cinema
history, I'd want to be mentioned by name when I died.

-idlethinker
wizardneedsfoodbadly.com

Reginald Dwight

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) (idlethinker) wrote:

> The frustrating thing is that the radio didn't even mention her name.
> If I was in one of the most (if not *the* most) famous scene in cinema
> history, I'd want to be mentioned by name when I died.

So then you probably know the name of the actress who was in the "mask
reveal" scene in the Lon Chaney "Phantom of the Opera", right? No
cheating at imdb.com!!!

idlethinker

Reginald Dwight <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) (idlethinker) wrote:
>
> > The frustrating thing is that the radio didn't even mention her name.
> > If I was in one of the most (if not *the* most) famous scene in cinema
> > history, I'd want to be mentioned by name when I died.

> So then you probably know the name of the actress who was in the "mask
> reveal" scene in the Lon Chaney "Phantom of the Opera", right? No
> cheating at imdb.com!!!

Ahh....we're reaching deep into the "way back" machine to prove a
point, eh? To quote Jules, "Well, let me retort."

I freely admit that I simply don't know the name of the actress that
you've mentioned. That doesn't mean that if TPotO what's-her-face
dies (I'm sure she's long departed from this mortal coil) and the
radio reports her death, they should at least tell us her name and
refer to her simply as "the mask lady". IMHO that's cheap and
degrading.

Imagine for a moment that you, Reginald Dwight, dropped dead
tomorrow. How would you like your obituary to read: "Today, the guy
who tried to make a point on usenet died today."? That's simply not
being fair to whatever goals you've achieved in life, dreams you made
real and memories that will live forever in those that you touched.
Savy?

I will concede that Claude Rains was a bigger draw than Janet Leigh,
but please give the woman enough credit and mention her name if you
report her death via the mass media.

-idlethinker
wizardneedsfoodbadly.com

Oh..and P.S. I don't think you can equate the unmasking scene in
TPotO with the shower scene from Psycho. How many modern references
to your "key" TPotO scene show up today, compared to references to the
shower scene from Psycho? I have no numbers to claim or reports to
site, but I feel that Psycho has had more of an emotional impact and
continues to influence modern cinema.

...now if you'll excuse me, I have to go visit imdb.com...

idlethinker

Reginald Dwight <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) (idlethinker) wrote:
>
> > The frustrating thing is that the radio didn't even mention her name.
> > If I was in one of the most (if not *the* most) famous scene in cinema
> > history, I'd want to be mentioned by name when I died.

> So then you probably know the name of the actress who was in the "mask
> reveal" scene in the Lon Chaney "Phantom of the Opera", right? No
> cheating at imdb.com!!!

Ahh....we're reaching deep into the "way back" machine to prove a
point, eh? To quote Jules, "Well, let me retort."

I freely admit that I simply don't know the name of the actress that
you've mentioned. That doesn't mean that if TPotO what's-her-face
dies (which I'm sure she long since has) and the radio reports her
death, they should at least tell us her name and not refer to her
simply as "the mask lady". IMHO that's cheap, degrading and
unprofessional.

Imagine for a moment that you, Reginald Dwight, dropped dead
tomorrow. How would you like your obituary to read: "Today, the guy
who tried to make a point on usenet died."? That's simply not being
fair to whatever goals you've achieved in life, dreams you made real
and memories that will live forever in those that you touched. Savy?

I will concede that Claude Rains was a bigger draw than Janet Leigh,
but please give the woman enough credit and mention her name if you
report her death via the mass media.

-idlethinker
wizardneedsfoodbadly.com

Oh..and P.S. I don't think you can equate the unmasking scene in
TPotO with the shower scene from Psycho. How many modern references
to your "key" TPotO scene show up today, compared to references to the
shower scene from Psycho? I have no numbers to claim or reports to
site, but I feel that Psycho has had more of an emotional impact and
continues to influence modern cinema.

...now if you'll excuse me, I have to go visit imdb.com

Reginald Dwight

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) (idlethinker) wrote:

> I freely admit that I simply don't know the name of the actress that
> you've mentioned. That doesn't mean that if TPotO what's-her-face
> dies (I'm sure she's long departed from this mortal coil) and the
> radio reports her death, they should at least tell us her name and
> refer to her simply as "the mask lady". IMHO that's cheap and
> degrading.

Yes, it is. But you have to admit you can see why it happens. BTW, you
never mentioned which media outlet did this deed. I saw nothing of the
sort happen on any major media outlets that I saw report it. Lemme
guess...it was a rock or pop radio station, right?

> Oh..and P.S. I don't think you can equate the unmasking scene in
> TPotO with the shower scene from Psycho. How many modern references
> to your "key" TPotO scene show up today, compared to references to the
> shower scene from Psycho?

I think the key word in the above sentence is "today". TPotO will lose
any battle against Psycho in terms of modern references thanks in part
to their respective places in history. Still, I think you can equate the
two scenes in terms of how they went down in their *own day* and you can
definitely equate them in terms of the fact that people (you included)
will ultimately forget the name of the female leads in the scenes.

idlethinker

Reginald Dwight <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) (idlethinker) wrote:
>
> > I freely admit that I simply don't know the name of the actress that
> > you've mentioned. That doesn't mean that if TPotO what's-her-face
> > dies (I'm sure she's long departed from this mortal coil) and the
> > radio reports her death, they should at least tell us her name and
> > refer to her simply as "the mask lady". IMHO that's cheap and
> > degrading.

> Yes, it is. But you have to admit you can see why it happens. BTW, you
> never mentioned which media outlet did this deed. I saw nothing of the
> sort happen on any major media outlets that I saw report it. Lemme
> guess...it was a rock or pop radio station, right?

You would be correct, sir. I can see why this sort of thing could
happen on a low-brow pop station, but it's still wrong.

> > Oh..and P.S. I don't think you can equate the unmasking scene in
> > TPotO with the shower scene from Psycho. How many modern references
> > to your "key" TPotO scene show up today, compared to references to the
> > shower scene from Psycho?

> I think the key word in the above sentence is "today". TPotO will lose
> any battle against Psycho in terms of modern references thanks in part
> to their respective places in history. Still, I think you can equate the
> two scenes in terms of how they went down in their *own day* and you can
> definitely equate them in terms of the fact that people (you included)
> will ultimately forget the name of the female leads in the scenes.

Too true. Of course with the short attention span of people in
general, it only reinforces the need to associate the name of the
person with their deeds. Without a point of reference, what's the
point of even mentioning their death?

Ah well...good topic!

-idlethinker
wizardneedsfoodbadly.com

...oh, and it's Christine Dubois, no?
I'll be sure to get that answer right the next time it pops up in
Trivial Pursuit

Re: Leigh's GUI [OT] 88888 Dihedral C++ 9 01-31-2012 05:21 AM
A question for Leigh Paul C++ 2 04-28-2011 12:38 AM
Leigh's repetative mistakes Paul C++ 1 02-26-2011 08:15 PM
yeah, hi, quick question. whats the best virus checker????? anyone????? i need one anything thats free thanks from janet janetjones Computer Support 12 07-11-2004 06:09 PM
JANET JACKSON VIRUS? Just Me Computer Support 4 02-04-2004 08:17 PM

Advertisments