Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Speaker Volume Levels

Speaker Volume Levels

elektra2

Hi everyone,

I am just trying to figure out what the optinum level is to set my Home
Theater speakers at. I have each individual channel set at +6db. Is that too
much or two little? What do you find works best?

Right now there seems to be a lot of distortion coming from my subwoofer. Is
there something in the settings that I can adjust to eliminate that? Any
help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Elektra

Dale Hicks

says...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am just trying to figure out what the optinum level is to set my Home
> Theater speakers at. I have each individual channel set at +6db. Is that too
> much or two little? What do you find works best?

Having them all set equal means it doesn't matter if they're all at +6
or at 0 -- the ultimate levels will depend on your master volume.

I've got a Radio Shack sound meter which I use along with the white
noise generator of the receiver/dvd player to set the channels so they
all balance (on the meter) at the ear level of my sweet spot on the
couch.

Then I usually boost the center channel to compensate for the overly-
loud music channels on the sides drowning out the dialogue (yes, I know
there's a reason, and I know that it can be mitigated with a sound
compression option on the dvd player).

--
Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net

Rich Clark

"elektra2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am just trying to figure out what the optinum level is to set my Home
> Theater speakers at. I have each individual channel set at +6db. Is that
> too
> much or two little? What do you find works best?
>
> Right now there seems to be a lot of distortion coming from my subwoofer.
> Is
> there something in the settings that I can adjust to eliminate that? Any
> help would be appreciated.

Start with everything at zero. Remember that zero doesn't mean "off" - it
means "not above or below the reference level." Then use the pink noise
generator (or the "THX Optimizer" included on many DVDs) to balance the
speakers so that all 5 (or 6 if you have a 6.1 system) channels are audibly
balanced).

If your system has a separate subwoofer level control set it at zero also.
Follow the manufacturer's instructions to set the sub's own level control.
Pink noise isn't useful for setting subwoofer levels, so if you don't have
access to a test disk with frequency sweeps or test tones, you'll have to
use your judgment to set the levels.

Distortion is an indication the sub is being overdriven. Turn down the amp
and turn up the sub's onboard control.

RichC

Richard

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 00:23:54 -0400, "elektra2" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I am just trying to figure out what the optinum level is to set my Home
>Theater speakers at. I have each individual channel set at +6db. Is that too
>much or two little? What do you find works best?
>
>Right now there seems to be a lot of distortion coming from my subwoofer. Is
>there something in the settings that I can adjust to eliminate that? Any
>help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Elektra

Don't be tied down to THX or other specific requirements for speaker
levels. If you find voices are not loud enough, or the surrounds
don't have enough impact to suit you, turn them up a bit until it's
pleasing. Always start by using your ears or a sound meter and adjust
the volume according to where you sit. Using the test tone, make sure
all speaker levels are as equal as possible. But don't be afraid to
deviate a bit as various DVDs do not have perfect reference recording
levels either because they weren't done correctly when mastered
or the movie is old and has been remixed to a pseudo-5.1, or extended
soundmix. This will likely have to be done on a DVD by DVD basis, as
needed.