Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Blue Ray and "old" dvds

Blue Ray and "old" dvds

Joshua Zyber

"Mark Hubble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anybody know whether the "older" style DVD's (the ones we have
> now)
> will play on the new Blue-Ray DVD player/recorders when they become
> available. Or are they hoping everyone will replace their "old" DVD's
> will
> new HD Blue-Ray Versions?

Both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players are expected to offer backwards
compatibility for playing standard DVDs. Blu-Ray machines will have two
laser heads, a blue laser for HD and a red laser for DVDs and CDs.

Mark Hubble

Does anybody know whether the "older" style DVD's (the ones we have now)
will play on the new Blue-Ray DVD player/recorders when they become
available. Or are they hoping everyone will replace their "old" DVD's will
new HD Blue-Ray Versions?

Mark Hubble

Thanks.

Aren't all HD DVD's going to have to be Blue-Ray as that is the only way
they can get the capacity needed to store an HD film?

"Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_Zc5d.1751$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> "Mark Hubble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Does anybody know whether the "older" style DVD's (the ones we have
> > now)
> > will play on the new Blue-Ray DVD player/recorders when they become
> > available. Or are they hoping everyone will replace their "old" DVD's
> > will
> > new HD Blue-Ray Versions?

> Both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players are expected to offer backwards
> compatibility for playing standard DVDs. Blu-Ray machines will have two
> laser heads, a blue laser for HD and a red laser for DVDs and CDs.

Joshua Zyber

"Mark Hubble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks.
>
> Aren't all HD DVD's going to have to be Blue-Ray as that is the only
> way
> they can get the capacity needed to store an HD film?

There are two competing formats in development, Blu-Ray from Sony which
uses a blue laser, and HD-DVD from Toshiba and NEC that uses a red laser
with a new digital compression scheme.

Mark Hubble

Two competing formats, how unusual! Thanks for the information.

"Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Tae5d.1894$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> "Mark Hubble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Aren't all HD DVD's going to have to be Blue-Ray as that is the only
> > way
> > they can get the capacity needed to store an HD film?

> There are two competing formats in development, Blu-Ray from Sony which
> uses a blue laser, and HD-DVD from Toshiba and NEC that uses a red laser
> with a new digital compression scheme.

MarkZimmerman

>Does anybody know whether the "older" style DVD's (the ones we have now)
>will play on the new Blue-Ray DVD player/recorders when they become
>available. Or are they hoping everyone will replace their "old" DVD's will
>new HD Blue-Ray Versions?

Blue-Ray will not be compatible with present day DVDs. However, if HD-DVD
becomes the standard then that will be compatible with today's DVDs.

Best,

Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

MarkZimmerman

>Both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players are expected to offer backwards
>compatibility for playing standard DVDs. Blu-Ray machines will have two
>laser heads, a blue laser for HD and a red laser for DVDs and CDs.

If that's true then what I said in my last statement is wrong. But, from what
I've read Blue-Ray will not be compatible with either CDs or DVDs.
Best,

Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

MarkZimmerman

>There are two competing formats in development, Blu-Ray from Sony which
>uses a blue laser, and HD-DVD from Toshiba and NEC that uses a red laser
>with a new digital compression scheme.

Now that's what I've heard.
Best,

Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

Joshua Zyber

"MarkZimmerman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players are expected to offer backwards
>>compatibility for playing standard DVDs. Blu-Ray machines will have
>>two
>>laser heads, a blue laser for HD and a red laser for DVDs and CDs.

> If that's true then what I said in my last statement is wrong. But,
> from what
> I've read Blue-Ray will not be compatible with either CDs or DVDs.

The blue laser itself is not compatible with CDs or DVDs, but Blu-Ray
players will have two laser heads to ensure backwards compatibility.
Sony would be committing market suicide if their players couldn't play
traditional DVDs.

Mark Hubble

Just to add something else into the mix. Sony are reported to be using
Blue-Ray for the PS3. If the PS3 doesn't play older PS2 games and older
DVD's They will loose out massively to a newer version of Microsoft's X-Box.
I agree it would be financial suicide to think that people will forget all
the money they have recently spent on DVD's and PS2 Games.

What does/will the PSX use?