Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > GENRE ONLINE NEWSGROUP UPDATE

GENRE ONLINE NEWSGROUP UPDATE

Writer R5

I was planning on having my DVD reviews of Anchor Bay Entertainment's "George
A. Romero's Dawn Of The Dead: Ultimate Edition" and Fox's "Night Of The Living
Dead: Restored 2004 Colorized Version/Original 1968 Full Framed Edition" ready
for this update, but the rhythm of the media reviews went so much into a SCI FI
direction in the last two weeks that I decided to post those reviews in time
for the next update. Speaking of zombie flicks, I caught "Shaun Of The Dead," a
new English feature film that is one of the best mergers of horror and comedy
that I have ever seen since the original "Return Of The Living Dead." It is not
quite up to what I consider the best horror comedy film from the 1980s, "An
American Werewolf In London," but it comes very close. It also stays truer to
Romero's horror classics than some of the new straight forward zombie horror
films that were inspired by the "Dead" films. So if you are looking for
something offbeat and enjoy British humor, this is definitely a film worth
checking out this weekend.

Now this week I actually have more TV reviews than DVD reviews though
ironically the screeners were all on DVD with the exception of one. These
include reviews of the SCI FI Channel miniseries "Farscape: The Peacekeeper
Wars" as well as SCI FI's new "Alternative Reality" Wednesday series premieres.
I have also reviewed the four-part series finale of the hit Cartoon Network
original series "Samurai Jack" and the series premiere of "Atomic Betty." DVD
reviews of recent and upcoming titles from the imaginations of George Lucas and
the late Gene Roddenberry wrap up this update review list.

If you are a subscriber to "Entertainment Weekly," you should have received
Fall TV preview DVDs from The WB, CBS, and Extra. The premiere episode of CBS'
"CSI: New York" is on one of them while The WB enclosed the premiere episode of
"Jack & Bobby" on their DVD. These discs along with the NBC free Fall preview
DVD that was available at "Best Buy" stores should give TV viewers a chance to
sample the plethora of new shows debuting this season without having to program
their VCRs or Tivos. So try and check them out if you can get a hold of them.
Now finally here are this week's new media reviews:

TV:

Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars: SCI FI Channel World Premiere Original
Miniseries:
http://www.genreonline.net/Farscape_...ars_SCIFI.html

Proof Positive Evidence Of The Paranormal: SCI FI Channel Original Series
Premiere:
http://www.genreonline.net/Proof_Pos...al_SCI_FI.html

Ghost Hunters: SCI FI Channel Original Series Premiere:
http://www.genreonline.net/Ghost_Hunters_SCI_FI.html

Scare Tactics: SCI FI Channel Original Series Season Premiere:
http://www.genreonline.net/Scare_Tactics_SCI_FI.html

Samurai Jack: Cartoon Network Original Series Finale:
http://www.genreonline.net/Samurai_J...e_Cartoon.html

Atomic Betty: Cartoon Network Original Series Premiere:
http://www.genreonline.net/Atomic_Be...e_Cartoon.html

DVD:

THX 1138: The George Lucas Director's Cut:
http://www.genreonline.net/THX1138_G...as_DC_DVD.html

Star Trek: The Original Series: The Complete First Season 8-Disc Set:
http://www.genreonline.net/Star_Trek_TOS_S1_DVD.html

Star Trek: Generations: Special Collector's Edition:
http://www.genreonline.net/Generation_SCE_DVD.html

Genre Online.Net: The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More!
http://www.genreonline.net

Please drop by and visit. Thank you.