Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Question: Should I buy a DVD recorder now or wait for new technology?

Question: Should I buy a DVD recorder now or wait for new technology?

Wheresthebabes

Is there a new technology coming
soon, or is that years away?

I notice, for example, that RCA has a DVD recorder that can record
HDTV signals. Is this the new thing? Will it be out by Christmas?
Or is this something that hasn't been perfected yet?

Thanks in advance!

Jordan Lund

Wheresthebabes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> Is there a new technology coming
> soon, or is that years away?
>
> I notice, for example, that RCA has a DVD recorder that can record
> HDTV signals. Is this the new thing? Will it be out by Christmas?
> Or is this something that hasn't been perfected yet?

I'd wait for an HDTV tuner/DVD recorder. The next technology is HD-DVD
or Blu-Ray, but there's going to be another format war first (a la
VHS/Beta or DVD/DiVX).

- Jordan

Clark Zahn

Wheresthebabes wrote:

> Is there a new technology coming
> soon, or is that years away?
>
> I notice, for example, that RCA has a DVD recorder that can record
> HDTV signals. Is this the new thing? Will it be out by Christmas?
> Or is this something that hasn't been perfected yet?
>
> Thanks in advance!

You could spend the rest of your life waiting for the "Next Big Thing".

If the current crop of dvd recorders are worth it to you then get one.

You can get a Pioneer DVR-210/310 for around $225 USD on the web and it
is full featured. I've got one and really like it. For less than $400
you can get a Panasonic with a hard drive. The HD recorders won't be at
that price for several years and then you have to pay for HDTV equipment
and service to use it.

--
Clark Zahn
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) Remove shoes to reply.