Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Star Wars audio

Star Wars audio

JWB

Wow - it *is* really bad. I've only watched ep. 4 so far, but it's very
noticeable (and I'm no audiophile). It goes from crystal clear to muffled
back to clear in several places. Enjoyed the movie otherwise, but the audio
is a problem. I hope the other two movies are better.

TSKO

"JWB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Wow - it *is* really bad. I've only watched ep. 4 so far, but it's very
> noticeable (and I'm no audiophile). It goes from crystal clear to muffled
> back to clear in several places. Enjoyed the movie otherwise, but the
> audio is a problem. I hope the other two movies are better.

I have to say, the ole sub woofer gets a major workout w/ this flick. I
thought the audio was quite good....but what do I know?

Yazandtony

I thought the audio was also quite good. There were a few parts where the score
was "muffled out". Empire and Jedi however are flat out fantastic.

zmike6

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:15:17 -0400, "JWB"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Wow - it *is* really bad. I've only watched ep. 4 so far, but it's very
>noticeable (and I'm no audiophile). It goes from crystal clear to muffled
>back to clear in several places. Enjoyed the movie otherwise, but the audio
>is a problem. I hope the other two movies are better.

I also find the erratic dialogue quality to be distracting. If it was
consistently bad (or good) I might not notice...but it shifts even
mid-scene. People say these are old movies, but there must be plenty
of good sources for the audio. (laserdisc, 1997 special editions,
even the VHS tapes have pretty decent sounding audio IMHO).

And, it could easily be my imagination, but even Vader's breathing on
ANH seems "wrong" somehow...too fast, or out of time with the
dialogue. I'll have to compare with my VHS version.

Overall, the effects noises and bass is overdone to the point where it
stomps over some of the music cues and more subtle sounds.

Not to mention the missing trumpet section at the beginning of the
Death Star attack. (which is present on the French soundtrack,
strangely enough).

Jordan Lund

zmike6 <zmike6@*SPAMBLOCK*yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..

> Overall, the effects noises and bass is overdone to the point where it
> stomps over some of the music cues and more subtle sounds.
>
> Not to mention the missing trumpet section at the beginning of the
> Death Star attack. (which is present on the French soundtrack,
> strangely enough).

I'm wondering if it has to do with the Dolby Digital EX mixing instead
of normal 5.1. I have a 6.1 setup and it's possible the missing audio
is on the rear center channel? Hmmm... I need to do some testing.

- Jordan

Joshua Zyber

"Jordan Lund" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I'm wondering if it has to do with the Dolby Digital EX mixing instead
> of normal 5.1. I have a 6.1 setup and it's possible the missing audio
> is on the rear center channel? Hmmm... I need to do some testing.

No, if you play a Dolby Digital-EX or DTS-ES soundtrack through a
conventional 5.1 audio system, the center rear channel information gets
distributed to the other surround speakers. No audio is lost.

Venger

The soundtrack is BURIED in the enhanced audio effects. It's gross.

I could go on, but I'd pop a vein in my head...

Venger

"zmike6" <zmike6@*SPAMBLOCK*yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:15:17 -0400, "JWB"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >Wow - it *is* really bad. I've only watched ep. 4 so far, but it's very
> >noticeable (and I'm no audiophile). It goes from crystal clear to muffled
> >back to clear in several places. Enjoyed the movie otherwise, but the

audio
> >is a problem. I hope the other two movies are better.
> >

> I also find the erratic dialogue quality to be distracting. If it was
> consistently bad (or good) I might not notice...but it shifts even
> mid-scene. People say these are old movies, but there must be plenty
> of good sources for the audio. (laserdisc, 1997 special editions,
> even the VHS tapes have pretty decent sounding audio IMHO).
>
> And, it could easily be my imagination, but even Vader's breathing on
> ANH seems "wrong" somehow...too fast, or out of time with the
> dialogue. I'll have to compare with my VHS version.
>
> Overall, the effects noises and bass is overdone to the point where it
> stomps over some of the music cues and more subtle sounds.
>
> Not to mention the missing trumpet section at the beginning of the
> Death Star attack. (which is present on the French soundtrack,
> strangely enough).

Jordan Lund

"Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<Ien4d.10762$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net>...
> "Jordan Lund" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > I'm wondering if it has to do with the Dolby Digital EX mixing instead
> > of normal 5.1. I have a 6.1 setup and it's possible the missing audio
> > is on the rear center channel? Hmmm... I need to do some testing.

> No, if you play a Dolby Digital-EX or DTS-ES soundtrack through a
> conventional 5.1 audio system, the center rear channel information gets
> distributed to the other surround speakers. No audio is lost.

I went through it last night in both 5.1 and 6.1 modes and I think the
problem is that portions of the soundtrack are overly enhanced. The
rest of the soundtrack that's not "dialled up" so to speak sounds weak
in comparison. For example, I didn't have any trouble with the Tarkin
lines, but the music seems oddly muted compared to the rest of the
soundtrack (particularly points like when Luke and Leia do the rope
swing.) I also noticed it in dialog and that it's inconsistently
applied... a conversation between Leia and Han had Leias lines way too
loud, Han sounded soft in comparison. Near the end of the conversation
Leias lines reverted to normal.

- Jordan