Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Star Wars.....I don't care!!!

Star Wars.....I don't care!!!

Adrian S. Kuiper

Frankly, the fact that Lucas made changes to HIS movie doesn't
bother me at all. I can recall seeing it in the theaters about 6 or 7
times back in the late 70's. I was thrilled. "Star Wars" was the ONLY
movie I ever saw more than twice in the theater. Actually, even now,
it's STILL the only one.

So....am I gonna bitch and moan about what Lucas has done? Nope!!
Am I gonna compare the DVD with the VHS tapes I have? Nope!! Am
I gonna be upset about the changes? Nope!! Am I gonna watch the
three movies and be thrilled once again? You bet your ass!!!!
I'm gonna get the set.....settle back on the couch with some popcorn and
a couple Pepsis and be thrilled once again. Fortunately, I have a 53"
TV (nope....not HD).

My only decision is whether to watch them all in one day or make it
last for a few days.

Together with getting my Medicare card and my AARP card, the release
of the DVD's kinda makes this year even more special.

Adrian

Dragon

"Adrian S. Kuiper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9nI2d.33964$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> Frankly, the fact that Lucas made changes to HIS movie doesn't
> bother me at all. I can recall seeing it in the theaters about 6 or 7
> times back in the late 70's. I was thrilled. "Star Wars" was the ONLY
> movie I ever saw more than twice in the theater. Actually, even now,
> it's STILL the only one.
>
> So....am I gonna bitch and moan about what Lucas has done? Nope!!
> Am I gonna compare the DVD with the VHS tapes I have? Nope!! Am
> I gonna be upset about the changes? Nope!! Am I gonna watch the
> three movies and be thrilled once again? You bet your ass!!!!
> I'm gonna get the set.....settle back on the couch with some popcorn and
> a couple Pepsis and be thrilled once again. Fortunately, I have a 53"
> TV (nope....not HD).
>
> My only decision is whether to watch them all in one day or make it
> last for a few days.
>
> Together with getting my Medicare card and my AARP card, the release
> of the DVD's kinda makes this year even more special.
>
> Adrian

You go Adrian I agree, lets just get the dvd set and watch and enjoy it and
think back to those days from the 70s and 80s on what was once a great film
trilogy and always will what ever they have done to it

Dave

---

NeoRenegade

Adrian S. Kuiper wrote:

> Frankly, the fact that Lucas made changes to HIS movie doesn't
> bother me at all. I can recall seeing it in the theaters about 6 or 7
> times back in the late 70's. I was thrilled. "Star Wars" was the ONLY
> movie I ever saw more than twice in the theater. Actually, even now,
> it's STILL the only one.
>
> So....am I gonna bitch and moan about what Lucas has done? Nope!!
> Am I gonna compare the DVD with the VHS tapes I have? Nope!! Am
> I gonna be upset about the changes? Nope!! Am I gonna watch the
> three movies and be thrilled once again? You bet your ass!!!!
> I'm gonna get the set.....settle back on the couch with some popcorn and
> a couple Pepsis and be thrilled once again. Fortunately, I have a 53"
> TV (nope....not HD).
>
> My only decision is whether to watch them all in one day or make it
> last for a few days.
>
> Together with getting my Medicare card and my AARP card, the release
> of the DVD's kinda makes this year even more special.
>
> Adrian

I'm not ****ed, just deeply saddened. Back before Episode I and II came
out, when the "special edition" trilogy was released, I didn't mind the
changes that were made to the movies. But now after having heard that
Hayden Christenson will be put into The Return Of The Jedi, I'm a little
worried to say the least. He has better look well-aged in the scene
because I could never bear seeing his ghost as he looked in Episode II,
in ROTJ. Episodes I and II were pretty loust movies and you don't just
bastardize masterpieces like the Trilogy for continuity with such crap!

Go ahead and say that it's his work and he can do whatever he wants to
with it. Legally that's absolutely correct.
But morally? If someone were to own the last pair of bengal tigers on
Earth capable of breeding and he/she decided to have them euthanized,
would you agree with that then?

- NR

Chasey

"Adrian S. Kuiper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9nI2d.33964$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> Frankly, the fact that Lucas made changes to HIS movie doesn't
> bother me at all. I can recall seeing it in the theaters about 6 or 7
> times back in the late 70's. I was thrilled. "Star Wars" was the ONLY
> movie I ever saw more than twice in the theater. Actually, even now,
> it's STILL the only one.
>
> So....am I gonna bitch and moan about what Lucas has done? Nope!!
> Am I gonna compare the DVD with the VHS tapes I have? Nope!! Am
> I gonna be upset about the changes? Nope!! Am I gonna watch the
> three movies and be thrilled once again? You bet your ass!!!!
> I'm gonna get the set.....settle back on the couch with some popcorn and
> a couple Pepsis and be thrilled once again. Fortunately, I have a 53"
> TV (nope....not HD).
>
> My only decision is whether to watch them all in one day or make it
> last for a few days.
>
> Together with getting my Medicare card and my AARP card, the release
> of the DVD's kinda makes this year even more special.
>
> Adrian

The changes are excellent.
Hayden is in at the end and I think shows him as he was BEFORE he turned to
the Darkside. So it makes sense to me.
Get your boxset and enjoy.
It's all good!

Dan P.

"Chasey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:t2d3d.32934$(E-Mail Removed) k...

> "Adrian S. Kuiper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:9nI2d.33964$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>
>> Frankly, the fact that Lucas made changes to HIS movie doesn't
>> bother me at all. I can recall seeing it in the theaters about 6 or 7
>> times back in the late 70's. I was thrilled. "Star Wars" was the ONLY
>> movie I ever saw more than twice in the theater. Actually, even now,
>> it's STILL the only one.
>>
>> So....am I gonna bitch and moan about what Lucas has done? Nope!!
>> Am I gonna compare the DVD with the VHS tapes I have? Nope!! Am
>> I gonna be upset about the changes? Nope!! Am I gonna watch the
>> three movies and be thrilled once again? You bet your ass!!!!
>> I'm gonna get the set.....settle back on the couch with some popcorn and
>> a couple Pepsis and be thrilled once again. Fortunately, I have a 53"
>> TV (nope....not HD).
>>
>> My only decision is whether to watch them all in one day or make it
>> last for a few days.
>>
>> Together with getting my Medicare card and my AARP card, the release
>> of the DVD's kinda makes this year even more special.
>>
>> Adrian
>>

> The changes are excellent.
> Hayden is in at the end and I think shows him as he was BEFORE he turned
> to the Darkside. So it makes sense to me.
> Get your boxset and enjoy.
> It's all good!

Both Obi-Wan and Yoda are shown at the age of their deaths. And originally,
so was Anakin. It doesn't seem to make much sense to show him at the age of
Episode II/III.

This scene was one of my favorites of the trilogy (well the 1983 version
with the original music...not the 1997 one). So it's disappointing that
this particular scene was changed. I will always picture Anakin as the
older man revealed in ROTJ when his mask is pulled off. I just can't have
sympathy for that whiny kid in Episode II. And it doesn't make sense, in my
opinion, to show an image of the young Anakin who was in the process of
turning to the dark side.

It may be GL's prerogative to change the movies, but it's a bad choice.
Even if the changes he made would be loved by 100% of the audience, he still
shouldn't do it. In my opinion, it's breaking with the tradition of cinema.
A movie of a particular era should be left alone and admired and/or disliked
for what it was. You can edit out the cowardly lion, scarecrow, and tin
man, and put in CGI characters, and the movie visually would look alot more
believable, but the charm and history of the 1939 version of the movie would
be lost forever. That's what has happened to the Star Wars movies.

But regardless of all that, I will be buying the movies on DVD. Most of the
movies have been left intact and I'm looking forward to seeing the movies on
DVD. I'll just have to keep my VHS version of ROTJ so I can appreciate the
original ending of the series.

Dan

Adrian S. Kuiper

"NeoRenegade" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Qh33d.39396$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Adrian S. Kuiper wrote:
>
> > Frankly, the fact that Lucas made changes to HIS movie doesn't
> > bother me at all. I can recall seeing it in the theaters about 6 or 7
> > times back in the late 70's. I was thrilled. "Star Wars" was the ONLY
> > movie I ever saw more than twice in the theater. Actually, even now,
> > it's STILL the only one.
> >
> > So....am I gonna bitch and moan about what Lucas has done? Nope!!
> > Am I gonna compare the DVD with the VHS tapes I have? Nope!! Am
> > I gonna be upset about the changes? Nope!! Am I gonna watch the
> > three movies and be thrilled once again? You bet your ass!!!!
> > I'm gonna get the set.....settle back on the couch with some popcorn and
> > a couple Pepsis and be thrilled once again. Fortunately, I have a 53"
> > TV (nope....not HD).
> >
> > My only decision is whether to watch them all in one day or make it
> > last for a few days.
> >
> > Together with getting my Medicare card and my AARP card, the release
> > of the DVD's kinda makes this year even more special.
> >
> > Adrian
> >

> I'm not ****ed, just deeply saddened. Back before Episode I and II came
> out, when the "special edition" trilogy was released, I didn't mind the
> changes that were made to the movies. But now after having heard that
> Hayden Christenson will be put into The Return Of The Jedi, I'm a little
> worried to say the least. He has better look well-aged in the scene
> because I could never bear seeing his ghost as he looked in Episode II,
> in ROTJ. Episodes I and II were pretty loust movies and you don't just
> bastardize masterpieces like the Trilogy for continuity with such crap!
>
> Go ahead and say that it's his work and he can do whatever he wants to
> with it. Legally that's absolutely correct.
> But morally? If someone were to own the last pair of bengal tigers on
> Earth capable of breeding and he/she decided to have them euthanized,
> would you agree with that then?
>
> - NR

I didn't say I AGREED with his actions. As a matter of fact, I don't.
think his "messing with the films" (and that is how I see it) does nothing
for either the films or for film-making in general. It just exhibits how
huge
an ego the man has. Leave well-enough alone is a creedo I live by. If it
ain't broke,
don't fix it.

As to the tigers, I would not agree with that either, but I doubt that
Siegfried and Roy would EVER stoop that low.

In any case.....enjoy the DVD's....

Adrian

Peter Koenig

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:20:29 GMT, "Dan P."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It may be GL's prerogative to change the movies, but it's a bad choice.
>Even if the changes he made would be loved by 100% of the audience, he still
>shouldn't do it. In my opinion, it's breaking with the tradition of cinema.
>A movie of a particular era should be left alone and admired and/or disliked
>for what it was. You can edit out the cowardly lion, scarecrow, and tin
>man, and put in CGI characters, and the movie visually would look alot more
>believable, but the charm and history of the 1939 version of the movie would
>be lost forever. That's what has happened to the Star Wars movies.
>
>But regardless of all that, I will be buying the movies on DVD. Most of the
>movies have been left intact and I'm looking forward to seeing the movies on
>DVD. I'll just have to keep my VHS version of ROTJ so I can appreciate the
>original ending of the series.
>

> Dan

Agreed, it doesn't matter to me what he has changed. 100 people will
have 100 different opinions on how much better or worse the new film
is. The crime is not preserving and releasing the original versions.
Superman, Star Trek I & VI, CE3K, Blade Runner... the list of movies
no longer available in their original form sadly just keeps getting
longer.

Much as I want to see my favorite movies on anamorphic DVD, I will
NOT be buying Star Wars.

Peter Koenig

Heh heh.

I'm going to save myself the coin and rewatch my Laserdisk versions.

Besides any ****in contests is there any obligation to the public to not
have some plot points reworked (who shot 1st in the bar for example)?

Lucas not only made the product, he sold or at least was payed for his
efforts. If he wanted complete, and I mean without strings of ANY kind,
seems he would have not charged for his labor, or kept it to himself.

TBerk

Jim Burgan

> "T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Heh heh.
>
> I'm going to save myself the coin and rewatch my Laserdisk versions.

I have the Laser Disc set of the original trilogy (the Definitive Collection
released in 1993, the last release of the original trilogy) and will hang on
to it for as long as I can keep a LD player working... But I also intend to
purchase the SE's tomorrow.
The Definitive Collection of the original trilogy on Laser Disc has a couple
of weaknesses: It's in CAV format and it gets to be a real pain flipping
discs every 30 minutes. It really disrupts the flow of the movie. Even
though my LD player plays both sides without flipping, it still takes 6 or 7
seconds for the player to switch sides plus every hour you gotta eject the
disc and put in the next one. Another weakness is the audio. The audio on
the Definitive Collection released in '93 is Dolby Pro Logic, and with
today's home theatre, Dolby Pro Logic is like the dark ages. The original
trilogy has never been released in any format with a Dolby Digital (5.1)
soundtrack. The first to offer Dolby Digital (AC3) was the first LD release
of the SE in the '97 boxed set. The SE VHS released in '97 obviously had
the Pro Logic soundtrack, so in my opinion, getting the Dolby Digital 5.1ES
soundtrack is a prime motivating factor for purchasing the set tomorrow.
I have never had a problem with Lucas updating the SFX on the series, but
the addition of the Solo/Jabba scene does nothing to further the plot or
explain anything that needs explaining, and I also have a problem with the
Cantina scene in which Solo shoots first, but neither are enough to stop me
from buying the new DVD set.

Steven Wandy

>so in my opinion, getting the Dolby Digital 5.1ES
> soundtrack is a prime motivating factor for purchasing the set tomorrow.

What about all the time and effort that went into digitally cleaning up this
copy by (I forget the name of the firm that was hired - you fill it in)?
Supposedly the improvement in picture quality is very impressive from what I
have read.