Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > How to clean label residue off dvd cases?

How to clean label residue off dvd cases?

Fire3Sky

My Star Trek DS9 and Voyager DVD boxed sets came with an insert on the outside
of the package that was attached to the case with stickum. When I peeled off
the insert, it left a residue. My Charlie's Angels set had a sticker across the
slimpak cases that was impossible to get off cleanly.

Anyone know the best ways to clean the residue off without damaging the cases?

Fire3Sky

Joe Negron

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 at 00:51 GMT, Fire3Sky <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>My Star Trek DS9 and Voyager DVD boxed sets came with an insert on the outside
>of the package that was attached to the case with stickum. When I peeled off
>the insert, it left a residue. My Charlie's Angels set had a sticker across the
>slimpak cases that was impossible to get off cleanly.
>
>Anyone know the best ways to clean the residue off without damaging the cases?
>
>Fire3Sky

I find that if I put wrapping tape (or something fairly sticky) around
my fingers then repeatedly presss-and-lift it over the residue, the
residue will eventually be completely removed.

He who has imagination without learning has wings and no feet.

--Joseph Joubert
Joe Negron from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jordan Lund

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Fire3Sky) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> My Star Trek DS9 and Voyager DVD boxed sets came with an insert on the outside
> of the package that was attached to the case with stickum. When I peeled off
> the insert, it left a residue. My Charlie's Angels set had a sticker across the
> slimpak cases that was impossible to get off cleanly.
>
> Anyone know the best ways to clean the residue off without damaging the cases?

Take the paper sleeve out of the case then wash it down with some Goo
Gone and a cotton swab:

http://www.kitchencollection.com/tem...e&sku=00819332

- Jordan

nrawson

First you can try any cooking oil. Wet a paper towel with oil and rub the
residue. As it balls up it gets coated with oil and quits sticking.

If cooking oil doesn't do it try Goo Gone. Yea, that really is the name.
Most discount stores carry it.

"Fire3Sky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My Star Trek DS9 and Voyager DVD boxed sets came with an insert on the

outside
> of the package that was attached to the case with stickum. When I peeled

off
> the insert, it left a residue. My Charlie's Angels set had a sticker

across the
> slimpak cases that was impossible to get off cleanly.
>
> Anyone know the best ways to clean the residue off without damaging the

cases?

> Fire3Sky

Cernovog

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 20:51:50 -0400, Fire3Sky wrote
(in message <(E-Mail Removed)>):

> Anyone know the best ways to clean the residue off without damaging the
> cases?

I scrubbed the heck out of an old AOL DVD case to remove the mailing label
glue residue. I later tried rubbing alcohol. This worked surprisingly well,
but not perfectly.

Finally, I just bought new DVD cases. Blockbuster was selling them eight for
a dollar. After that, all my effort seemed silly. ^_^ For slim cases, my
buddy gave me slim cases from video game demos.

So that was my solution. Just by new cases. ^_^;;;

DVDfanatico

The best way believe it or not is Joe's way. Use the sticky side of the label
to lift all the residue off. You can rub off any leftover residue with kleenex
using very short strokes.

HTH
-DVDfanatico

>Joe Negron (E-Mail Removed)

>I find that if I put wrapping tape (or something fairly sticky) around
>my fingers then repeatedly presss-and-lift it over the residue, the
>residue will eventually be completely removed.
>
>--
>He who has imagination without learning has wings and no feet.
>
>--Joseph Joubert
>Joe Negron from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY, USA

Stephen Cooke

For getting stickers off cases, from labels with that clear, sticky goop
to hard-to-peel Blockbuster stickers from the previously viewed pile, I
find Rossinol lighter fluid works as well as anything. Just squirt a bit
on the label, let it penetrate for a minute or so, and then peel away.

If there's residue, squirt a dab of lighter fluid on a kleenex or paper
towl and rub it off. The stuff evaporates quickly (it's also the key
ingredient in old-fashioned "spot remover") so it never leaves a stain.

swac
Needless to say, do not to this around an open flame.

Paul Lefebvre

Stephen Cooke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>For getting stickers off cases, from labels with that clear, sticky goop
>to hard-to-peel Blockbuster stickers from the previously viewed pile, I
>find Rossinol lighter fluid works as well as anything. Just squirt a bit
>on the label, let it penetrate for a minute or so, and then peel away.
>
>If there's residue, squirt a dab of lighter fluid on a kleenex or paper
>towl and rub it off. The stuff evaporates quickly (it's also the key
>ingredient in old-fashioned "spot remover") so it never leaves a stain.
>
>swac
>Needless to say, do not to this around an open flame.

I use lighter fluid too, it's the best for removing any sort of sticky
residue, and it even removes Magic Marker from plastic. An aunt of
mine worked in a china shop and they used this all the time to get the
stickers off of plates etc. In fact, the labeling on the bottle of
lighter fluid even states it's good for removing labels.

PL

Paul Lefebvre
londonpaul@*removethis*sympatico.ca
Visit my website!
http://www.geocities.com/joeyp99

Jim Nason

"Cernovog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 20:51:50 -0400, Fire3Sky wrote
> (in message <(E-Mail Removed)>):
>
>> Anyone know the best ways to clean the residue off without damaging the
>> cases?

> I scrubbed the heck out of an old AOL DVD case to remove the mailing label
> glue residue. I later tried rubbing alcohol. This worked surprisingly
> well,
> but not perfectly.
>
> Finally, I just bought new DVD cases. Blockbuster was selling them eight
> for
> a dollar. After that, all my effort seemed silly. ^_^ For slim cases, my
> buddy gave me slim cases from video game demos.
>
> So that was my solution. Just by new cases. ^_^;;;

Actually, WD-40 is designed to remove such residues, and is a lot safer than
lighter fluid. Don't spray it directly; spay some on a Kleenex tissue and
dab away at it gently.

An alternate: use a small amount of undiluted Ivory Liquid dishwashing soap
on a fingertip. Work it into the residue with a circular motion until it is
dissolved, then wipe off with a moistened tissue. Obviously we are talking
about plastic cases, not cardboard.

Incidentally, Ivory Liquid, undiluted will easily remove grease or even
fingerprint ink from skin by rubbing it in thoroughly so that it emulsifies
the grease or ink. Then add water and wash it away. Very gentle on skin.

Hope this helps,

Jim Nason

Mac Cool

Fire3Sky:

> Anyone know the best ways to clean the residue off without damaging
> the cases?

I use Naphtha. Just dab it on and it will instantly dissolve any residue,
wipe off.
--
Mac Cool