Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > Transfering files from one computer to another one

Transfering files from one computer to another one

Terry

I just bought a new Dell computer with Windows XP. What
is the easiest way to get my mp3 files over to my new
computer from my old one. I used DirectCD to backup the
drives on the old computer, but now I can't get the backup
files uncompressed to read the MP3's. Is there any easier
way?? Please Help!!

Martin Schmid

Presuming you have network cards in both pcs... I would use a crossover
cable.

"Terry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:07de01c34a2f$deaa0ab0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just bought a new Dell computer with Windows XP. What
> is the easiest way to get my mp3 files over to my new
> computer from my old one. I used DirectCD to backup the
> drives on the old computer, but now I can't get the backup
> files uncompressed to read the MP3's. Is there any easier
> way?? Please Help!!

Samir Patel

Plug the old hard drive into the new computer

Rav

Or use a USB pendrive if you dont wanna open up your PC..

Steve

Your new Dell will have a utility built into it to
transfer all data off an old computer into the Dell.
Look it up in help or call Dell tech support and have
them walk you through it. Very easy actually, a wizard.

Chris Kirk

If you have XP loaded on both PC's or have an XP disk you
can use the "files and settings transfer wizard" to
transfer all of your documents, backgrounds, user settings.
then save it to CD and use the tool again to place the
files on your new PC. Or just burn the files directly to
cd without compressing them (using XP's integrated burner
once again if you have XP on the old pc or whatever
program you use for burning) your best bet might be to
network the 2 together like someone else mentioned. the
problem with placing the hard drive in the other machine
is that XP will expect the hard drive to stay in the
machine and may error at you if you remove it once it is
removed. If both Pc's have usb you could link them with
USB cable too.

i hope one of those ideas work
chris k