Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Hybrid DVD's

Hybrid DVD's

drsd2kill

Hey guys,

Anybody frustrated over some weird DVD releases? For example: the original
release of ANNIE has both pan/scan and anamorphic widescreen and only adequate
2-channel Dolby Surround - whereas the reissue had terrific DD 5.1 and DTS
tracks but only pan/scan. So... I made a DVD using the widescreen transfer and
synched up the 5.1 DD track and made a new DVD.

Sort of the same thing with Ray Harryhausen's film MYSTERIOUS ISLAND. The
Laserdisc had a great stereo track whereas the DVD is scratchy mono. So...
transferred the stereo LD tracks into my computer, synched them up to the
anamorphic widescreen video from the DVD, and made a new DVD using the superior
LD soundtrack with the superior DVD video.

Anybody else do things like this? These two turned out so well (granted, they
were a bitch to synch up - well, MI was anyway) I plan on making more using
commentary tracks from Criterion Laserdiscs (THE FISHER KING, PRINCE OF TIDES,
SOME LIKE IT HOT, etc.) and making new DVD's with those tracks as alternate
channels.

Ian W. Hill

>Sort of the same thing with Ray Harryhausen's film MYSTERIOUS ISLAND. The
>Laserdisc had a great stereo track whereas the DVD is scratchy mono. So...
>transferred the stereo LD tracks into my computer, synched them up to the
>anamorphic widescreen video from the DVD, and made a new DVD using the
>superior
>LD soundtrack with the superior DVD video.
>
>Anybody else do things like this? These two turned out so well (granted, they
>were a bitch to synch up - well, MI was anyway) I plan on making more using
>commentary tracks from Criterion Laserdiscs (THE FISHER KING, PRINCE OF
>TIDES,
>SOME LIKE IT HOT, etc.) and making new DVD's with those tracks as alternate
>channels.

Yeah, between the materials and equipment I and two other friends have we're
making a hybrid dvd of Cronenberg's CRASH with the Criterion LD extras
(including commentary). I'd like to do the same sometime with THE MAN WHO FELL
TO EARTH and THE LAST PICTURE SHOW. Or of course the original Criterion Bond
film commentaries.

Roundheels
Brooklyn

restore my patriotism to reply

drsd2kill

Ah... THE LAST PICTURE SHOW I plan on doing, but i would require some tricky
editing since a few shots of Cybill nude from behind are on the DVD but missing
from the LD, but the LD has a short scene not on the current DVD.

Check out my DVD review on www.dvdangle.com for a list of the changes.

Stan

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (drsd2kill) wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> Anybody frustrated over some weird DVD releases? For example: the original
> release of ANNIE has both pan/scan and anamorphic widescreen and only adequate
> 2-channel Dolby Surround - whereas the reissue had terrific DD 5.1 and DTS
> tracks but only pan/scan. So... I made a DVD using the widescreen transfer and
> synched up the 5.1 DD track and made a new DVD.
>
> Sort of the same thing with Ray Harryhausen's film MYSTERIOUS ISLAND. The
> Laserdisc had a great stereo track whereas the DVD is scratchy mono. So...
> transferred the stereo LD tracks into my computer, synched them up to the
> anamorphic widescreen video from the DVD, and made a new DVD using the

superior
> LD soundtrack with the superior DVD video.
>
> Anybody else do things like this? These two turned out so well (granted, they
> were a bitch to synch up - well, MI was anyway) I plan on making more using
> commentary tracks from Criterion Laserdiscs (THE FISHER KING, PRINCE OF TIDES,
> SOME LIKE IT HOT, etc.) and making new DVD's with those tracks as alternate
> channels.

What software do you use to synch the video with the new audio?

--Stan

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop
thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do
we."
--G. W. Bush, August 5, 2004

drsd2kill

Well, I'm on a Mac - what I have found is best is to rep the audio and deposit
it in Final Cut Pro - then import whatever new soundtrack I have - use the
soundwaves to aid in synching (sometimes I need to cut and move sound by a
frame or two to cover missing frames, different sources, etc.) When they are in
synch, I delete the old soundtrack, export the "conformed" stereo or commentart
track as AIFF, and then encode to Dolby Digital using A.Pack. Then it's onto
making the DVD and encoding with DVD Studio Pro 2