Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > "Unrated": the new scam

Reply
Thread Tools

"Unrated": the new scam

 
 
Del March
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2004
Meet the new marketting trick: labelling a new edition of a DVD release as
"Unrated". I expect this one will be around for a bit, attached to new
editions of movies with stars that everyone wants to see naked. The word
suggests "Oops, we couldn't get an R rating with this version, so the version
you're familiar with was trimmed down. Had we released THIS version, it would
have been NC-17." I imagine that was the thinking behind the recent "Unrated"
versions of "Gia" and "The Girl Next Door".

Of course, technically speaking, it simply means that the "unrated" version
never got rated. Had it been submitted, it could very well been rated G. Or,
in the aforementioned "Gia" and "The Girl Next Door", the new versions would
have been rated R, just like the old versions. These two films have nothing
added to them that makes them any more worthy of an NC-17 rating. "The Girl
Next Door" is still dull. And "Gia" might be steamier, but not in any major
way.

"Unrated" can be tossed onto the pile of descriptions that don't have to mean
anything significant, like "Special Edition", "Director's Cut", and "Deluxe."
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Zimmy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2004
I'm afraid this "scam" is not new (unless you are new to home video).
They have been doing it since the days of laserdiscs.

"Del March" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Meet the new marketting trick: labelling a new edition of a DVD release
> as
> "Unrated". I expect this one will be around for a bit, attached to new
> editions of movies with stars that everyone wants to see naked. The word
> suggests "Oops, we couldn't get an R rating with this version, so the
> version
> you're familiar with was trimmed down. Had we released THIS version, it
> would
> have been NC-17." I imagine that was the thinking behind the recent
> "Unrated"
> versions of "Gia" and "The Girl Next Door".
>
> Of course, technically speaking, it simply means that the "unrated"
> version
> never got rated. Had it been submitted, it could very well been rated G.
> Or,
> in the aforementioned "Gia" and "The Girl Next Door", the new versions
> would
> have been rated R, just like the old versions. These two films have
> nothing
> added to them that makes them any more worthy of an NC-17 rating. "The
> Girl
> Next Door" is still dull. And "Gia" might be steamier, but not in any
> major
> way.
>
> "Unrated" can be tossed onto the pile of descriptions that don't have to
> mean
> anything significant, like "Special Edition", "Director's Cut", and
> "Deluxe."



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Biz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2004

"Del March" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Meet the new marketting trick: labelling a new edition of a DVD release

as
Cut", and "Deluxe."

Nothing new about it, this practice has been going on for years. I
personally remember it going back to when "The Color of Night" was released
back in the late 90's.




 
Reply With Quote
 
unclejr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2004
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)ITEME (Del March) wrote...
> Of course, technically speaking, it simply means that the "unrated" version
> never got rated. Had it been submitted, it could very well been rated G. Or,
> in the aforementioned "Gia" and "The Girl Next Door", the new versions would
> have been rated R, just like the old versions. These two films have nothing
> added to them that makes them any more worthy of an NC-17 rating. "The Girl
> Next Door" is still dull. And "Gia" might be steamier, but not in any major
> way.


In the case of Swimming Pool, I think that the "Unrated" version has
significantly more nudity than the "R-rated" version. Maybe Universal
is using the word like the average Joe Perv thinks that it is used?
Probably not... Oh, well...

Interesting post. I wondered about this myself, but I only have the
one title (Swimming Pool) that is the "Unrated" version. I was
thinking of purchasing Bad Santa (Unrated -- aka Badder Santa) and the
new Underworld (Unrated) release at one time. Does anyone know the
differences between the two cuts (Unrated vs. R-rated) of these two
titles?

-Junior
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2004
On 07 Sep 2004 07:41:25 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)ITEME (Del March) wrote:

>Meet the new marketting trick: labelling a new edition of a DVD release as
>"Unrated". I expect this one will be around for a bit, attached to new
>editions of movies with stars that everyone wants to see naked. The word
>suggests "Oops, we couldn't get an R rating with this version, so the version
>you're familiar with was trimmed down. Had we released THIS version, it would
>have been NC-17." I imagine that was the thinking behind the recent "Unrated"
>versions of "Gia" and "The Girl Next Door".
>
>Of course, technically speaking, it simply means that the "unrated" version
>never got rated. Had it been submitted, it could very well been rated G. Or,
>in the aforementioned "Gia" and "The Girl Next Door", the new versions would
>have been rated R, just like the old versions. These two films have nothing
>added to them that makes them any more worthy of an NC-17 rating. "The Girl
>Next Door" is still dull. And "Gia" might be steamier, but not in any major
>way.
>
>"Unrated" can be tossed onto the pile of descriptions that don't have to mean
>anything significant, like "Special Edition", "Director's Cut", and "Deluxe."


"The Mangler" had scenes that were cut to obtain an "R" rating, but
unfortunately, they didn't put them back in the movie, just stuck
them in the special features section.
-Rich
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nick Macpherson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-09-2004
>From: "Biz" (E-Mail Removed)

>> Meet the new marketting trick: labelling a new edition of a DVD release

>as
>Cut", and "Deluxe."
>
>Nothing new about it, this practice has been going on for years. I
>personally remember it going back to when "The Color of Night" was released
>back in the late 90's.
>

It used to be called "the European version".

 
Reply With Quote
 
misfit
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-09-2004
back in the day of VHS...unrated did mean a nice almost porn film...but they
mean that the original was unrated, not that particular relase.

heres a few other scams.
DIRECTORS CUT
BAD"er" SANTA



"Del March" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Meet the new marketting trick: labelling a new edition of a DVD release

as
> "Unrated". I expect this one will be around for a bit, attached to new
> editions of movies with stars that everyone wants to see naked. The word
> suggests "Oops, we couldn't get an R rating with this version, so the

version
> you're familiar with was trimmed down. Had we released THIS version, it

would
> have been NC-17." I imagine that was the thinking behind the recent

"Unrated"
> versions of "Gia" and "The Girl Next Door".
>
> Of course, technically speaking, it simply means that the "unrated"

version
> never got rated. Had it been submitted, it could very well been rated G.

Or,
> in the aforementioned "Gia" and "The Girl Next Door", the new versions

would
> have been rated R, just like the old versions. These two films have

nothing
> added to them that makes them any more worthy of an NC-17 rating. "The

Girl
> Next Door" is still dull. And "Gia" might be steamier, but not in any

major
> way.
>
> "Unrated" can be tossed onto the pile of descriptions that don't have to

mean
> anything significant, like "Special Edition", "Director's Cut", and

"Deluxe."



 
Reply With Quote
 
TomT
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-10-2004
I've seen a lot of made for tv movies that were later put out on video with
this rating.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Biz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-10-2004

"TomT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:chsqrr$3d0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've seen a lot of made for tv movies that were later put out on video

with
> this rating.
>
>


If they were made for tv, they wouldnt have been rated in the first
place....


 
Reply With Quote
 
Rutgar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-10-2004
On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 08:00:32 -0700, "misfit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>back in the day of VHS...unrated did mean a nice almost porn film...but they
>mean that the original was unrated, not that particular relase.
>
>heres a few other scams.
>DIRECTORS CUT
>BAD"er" SANTA
>
>

I never did figure out what was "Bad"er" about it.

- Rutgar
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cash4gold Scam Ripoffreport.com Scam maryr345@live.com Digital Photography 3 05-05-2012 04:46 AM
New scam warning. bambam@nospam.tnx Computer Support 2 03-18-2005 03:37 AM
new scam klunk Computer Security 2 06-09-2004 04:57 PM
Old scam....new words.....flight 103 passenger worth millions! Richard Computer Support 11 11-08-2003 04:09 PM
New Ebay Scam Michael Thompson Computer Support 1 07-27-2003 02:33 PM



Advertisments