Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Using DVD player as CD player

Using DVD player as CD player

Nick

I was thinking of using my dvd player (5.1 surround system) as my main cd
player and was wondering if anyone else did this. It's only a cheap dvd
player with surround (70) so easily replaced.

Do Dvd players have two lasers like PS2 one for CD's and one for DVD's.

Any advice please

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 09:45:52 +0000 (UTC), "Nick"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I was thinking of using my dvd player (5.1 surround system) as my main cd
>player and was wondering if anyone else did this. It's only a cheap dvd
>player with surround (70) so easily replaced.
>
>Do Dvd players have two lasers like PS2 one for CD's and one for DVD's.
>
>Any advice please

It's the same red laser used on both. DVD machines are used as CD
players all the time, it's a common thing. Unless one wants to get a
superDuper dedicated CD player with lots of bells and whistles such as
separate power supplies for each channel, having a DVD player in your
equipment rack means there is absolutely no need to also have a
separate CD player.

... Steve .

Electric Fan Club

"Steve(JazzHunter)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 09:45:52 +0000 (UTC), "Nick"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I was thinking of using my dvd player (5.1 surround system) as my main cd
> >player and was wondering if anyone else did this. It's only a cheap dvd
> >player with surround (70) so easily replaced.
> >
> >Do Dvd players have two lasers like PS2 one for CD's and one for DVD's.
> >
> >Any advice please
> >

> It's the same red laser used on both. DVD machines are used as CD
> players all the time, it's a common thing. Unless one wants to get a
> superDuper dedicated CD player with lots of bells and whistles such as
> separate power supplies for each channel, having a DVD player in your
> equipment rack means there is absolutely no need to also have a
> separate CD player.

Ah not necessarily. If the player is able to play audio CD-R disks then it
must be dual laser. The orange/red laser used for DVDs does not reflect
from CD-R disks. Early DVD video players lacked this facility so were
restricted to playing CD and CD-RW (possibly) disks.

Also, the audio circuits in DVD players are seldom as good as in a dedicated
CD player, but if you use the digital output to feed a separate amp then it
doesn't matter as you don't use 'em.

Ian.

LASERandDVDfan

>>Do Dvd players have two lasers like PS2 one for CD's and one for DVD's.
>>
>>Any advice please
>>

>It's the same red laser used on both

Not always.

Quite a few modern DVD players produced today use a dual laser/single lens
pickup to facilitate more reliable reading of CDs and DVDs, including
recordable and rewritable media. Only older generation DVD players typically
employ one red laser. DVD players today that claim CD-R and CD-RW
compatibility will most likely have a red laser and an infrared laser contained
within a single pickup assembly.
For videogame consoles, the PS-2 for both Sony and Sanyo pickup versions, and
the X-Box with the Philips and Samsung drives also use a dual laser/single lens
configuration. The Thomson drive used in the X-Box still employs a single
laser configuration. - Reinhart