Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > ? For Avid DVD watchers

? For Avid DVD watchers

AnnaTle

Have a question for those of you who watch DVD's a lot. Whether you buy them
or rent them.

Do you ever notice seeing white or black spots on them when you watch them? I
you might see if you were watching a real old movie? I have been seeing this
with some of mine lately.

Now before I watch them I take a soft cloth and wipe them off and also the
tray where they sit. There is one of them I have watched a lot. Maybe its
just wearing out but I've seen a couple of these spots on others that I don't
watch near as much.

Any ideas or solutions? I really hope I don't have to take it in. Dad had a
heck of a time hooking it up.

Robotman

No never - is the player dying maybe??

Robotman.

"AnnaTle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have a question for those of you who watch DVD's a lot. Whether you buy

them
> or rent them.
>
> Do you ever notice seeing white or black spots on them when you watch

them? I
> you might see if you were watching a real old movie? I have been seeing

this
> with some of mine lately.
>
> Now before I watch them I take a soft cloth and wipe them off and also the
> tray where they sit. There is one of them I have watched a lot. Maybe

its
> just wearing out but I've seen a couple of these spots on others that I

don't
> watch near as much.
>
> Any ideas or solutions? I really hope I don't have to take it in. Dad

had a
> heck of a time hooking it up.

Nathan Funk

I think this is probably a problem with your DVD player. I recommend
playing the same DVD in a friend's player some time and looking for spots.

The information on a DVD is so compressed that if something is not read
properly, more than just small area is affected. There are ways that
most DVD players correct this, but bad ones will skip over parts, or
stop entirely.

If the DVD player was cheap, the problem is most likely in the player
itself, not the DVD. If it was expensive (and the place you bought it
from is friendly you might want to have it checked.

Hope that helps,

Nathan

Hubert Borrmann

You said that your dad had a hard time connecting the player. I wonder
what kind of video connection you are using?
If you are using the yellow (composite) cable connection, you might
have some interference coming in that way.
This kind of cabling is prone to interference.
If you are using S-VIDEO or even COMPONENT inputs, then my comments
would not apply.
Good luck,
Hubert.