Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Wanted: recommendation of a video capture device

Wanted: recommendation of a video capture device

Kev J. Boycik

Can anyone recommend a good, reliable video capture device? I'm planning on
getting a DVD writer soon and I have no clue which item would be the best. Does
it matter if it goes into USB or firewire? I'm a bit of a novice with this, so
pardon my ignorance.

If anyone can recommend a good model and point me to a place to purchase
on-line, I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance,

Kev J.B.
www.rockyhorroraudio.com
"Please stand clear of the doors, por favor mantenganse alejado de las
puertas."

FAQmeister

"Kev J. Boycik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> Can anyone recommend a good, reliable video capture device? I'm
> planning on getting a DVD writer soon and I have no clue which item
> would be the best. Does it matter if it goes into USB or firewire?
> I'm a bit of a novice with this, so pardon my ignorance.
>
> If anyone can recommend a good model and point me to a place to
> purchase on-line, I'd really appreciate it.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>

> Kev J.B.
> www.rockyhorroraudio.com
> "Please stand clear of the doors, por favor mantenganse alejado de las
> puertas."

Pinnacle Studio AV/DV
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPa...50&Langue_ID=7
List: $149

$84.30 no tax, free shipping
http://www.atomicpark.com/productDet...fId=6&sk=81018
--
Buford T. Justice
The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:

Brian

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)eep (Kev J. Boycik) wrote:

>Can anyone recommend a good, reliable video capture device? I'm planning on
>getting a DVD writer soon and I have no clue which item would be the best. Does
>it matter if it goes into USB or firewire? I'm a bit of a novice with this, so
>pardon my ignorance.
>
>If anyone can recommend a good model and point me to a place to purchase
>on-line, I'd really appreciate it.
>
>Many thanks in advance,
>

>Kev J.B.
>www.rockyhorroraudio.com
>"Please stand clear of the doors, por favor mantenganse alejado de las
>puertas."

It depends on how much money you want to spend.
I'd recommend canopus ADVC-100. There are many happy owner of this
hardware. A firewire card is required.
Try looking up this product on www.dvdrhelp.com

Regards Brian

Colon Terminus

Firewire or USB?

You gotta Mac ... go Firewire
You gotta PC ... go USB

I have a Pinnacle DVC-150 USB device. It works quite well. I've owned
several PCI vid capture cards and none were satisfactory. The DVC-150
captures excellent quality video and most importantly, there's NEVER a
problem with autio synch. Its always perfect. Although I dearly love the
capture device, their (Pinnacle's) software sucks in the worst possible way.
Mainly, it doesn't work ... at least not reliably. I use it only for
capturing, and even then it crashes when I close it ... 100% of the time.

I use the Pinnacle software to do the capture (ain't no other choice).
I use DVD Lab for authoring.
I use Nero for burning.

I get excellent results.

"Kev J. Boycik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone recommend a good, reliable video capture device? I'm planning

on
> getting a DVD writer soon and I have no clue which item would be the best.

Does
> it matter if it goes into USB or firewire? I'm a bit of a novice with

this, so
> pardon my ignorance.
>
> If anyone can recommend a good model and point me to a place to purchase
> on-line, I'd really appreciate it.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>

> Kev J.B.
> www.rockyhorroraudio.com
> "Please stand clear of the doors, por favor mantenganse alejado de las
> puertas."

Kev J. Boycik

Thanks to all for your suggestions, I will look into all of them.

If it's something that is gonna work, I don't mind investing a lot into it. I
just don't want to be stuck with something that doesn't work.

Thanks again,
Kev

Bill Vermillion

In article <qv2Zc.494480$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Colon Terminus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Firewire or USB?

>You gotta Mac ... go Firewire
>You gotta PC ... go USB

You don't have to. I have Firewire on my PC. It's part of
my Sound Blaster card.

Firewire is much faster than USB.

As to caputer, I have a Canopus ADC-300 - it uses firewire - but
the nice thing about it is that you can use all the processing in
it in a pass-through arangment for doing such things as copying
tapes with controls for brightness, color, contrast, noise filters,
etc, or you can suck it into the computer for burning to DVD later.

It is a an external device and I dont care for the approach with
the video coming into a video card.

>I have a Pinnacle DVC-150 USB device. It works quite well.
>I've owned several PCI vid capture cards and none were
>satisfactory. The DVC-150 captures excellent quality video and
>most importantly, there's NEVER a problem with autio synch. Its
>always perfect. Although I dearly love the capture device, their
>(Pinnacle's) software sucks in the worst possible way. Mainly,
>it doesn't work ... at least not reliably. I use it only for
>capturing, and even then it crashes when I close it ... 100% of
>the time.

>I use the Pinnacle software to do the capture (ain't no other choice).
>I use DVD Lab for authoring.
>I use Nero for burning.

Nero really works well compared to others I've tried.

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

Mark Spatny

Kev J. Boycik,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Can anyone recommend a good, reliable video capture device?

You'll get even more in-depth responses here: rec.video.desktop

Kev J. Boycik

>You'll get even more in-depth responses here: rec.video.desktop

Many thanks!!!

--kjb