Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > NBC DVDs

NBC DVDs

Dave King

NBC seems to be doing well with their DVD
releases...Seinfeld DVDs are about to be launched.
Will and Grace are releasing their third season.
Friends, Season 8 is coming soon.

Maybe it's just me, but one of my favorite NBC
series was Third Rock from the Sun. How could
I petition or inquire about that series' status for
DVD production?

DK

jayembee

"Dave King" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> NBC seems to be doing well with their DVD releases...
> Seinfeld DVDs are about to be launched. Will and Grace
> are releasing their third season. Friends, Season 8 is
> coming soon.

I hope you realize that NBC has nothing to do with those
DVD releases. Most DVDs are issued by the studios that
produced the shows, not the network that aired them.

The three titles you mention above, for example, are
being released from three different home video companies:
Columbia/Tri-Star (SEINFELD), Lions Gate (WILL & GRACE),
and Warner Bros. (FRIENDS).

The only DVDs that NBC is involved in releasing are shows
that have been produced or co-produced by NBC Studios.
A couple of such titles, HOMICIDE and PROFILER have been
licensed out to A&E, and at least one to Lions Gate (the
KINGPIN mini-series), though I expect that any titles not
yet licensed will default to Universal, now that NBC and
Universal are married.

> Maybe it's just me, but one of my favorite NBC series was
> Third Rock from the Sun. How could I petition or inquire
> about that series' status for DVD production?

3rd ROCK is owned by Carsey-Werner. They've recently gotten
into a DVD licensing agreement for their titles with Fox
Home Video. As far as I know, though, the only one ready
to go is THAT 70's SHOW. If that does well, they'll follow
it up with THE COSBY SHOW and ROSEANNE. Nothing else has
been mentioned so far, including 3rd ROCK.

I don't know what the extent of the agreement is between
C-W and Fox. That is, if Fox passes on a given series,
will C-W be able to shop it elsewhere? Still, your best
bet would be to contact Fox to ask if they have any plans
for it, and/or suggest it.

For what it's worth, 3rd ROCK is being released on DVD in
Britain, by a company called Network. They'd released the
first two seasons a few months back, with the third season
due out next week.

-- jayembee

M.B.

Dave King wrote:
> NBC seems to be doing well with their DVD
> releases...Seinfeld DVDs are about to be launched.
> Will and Grace are releasing their third season.
> Friends, Season 8 is coming soon.
>
> Maybe it's just me, but one of my favorite NBC
> series was Third Rock from the Sun. How could
> I petition or inquire about that series' status for
> DVD production?
>
> DK

It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with NBC, just because it
aired on NBC. Sony owns Seinfeld. Warner Bros. owns Friends. Third
Rock from the Sun is not owned by NBC either. I think Warner Bros. owns
that as well, but not for certain on that.