Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Famous Players - No More Cheese

Famous Players - No More Cheese

Autodidact

For the past few years I've been seeing one or two movies per week at the
theatre. I would *only* go to Famous Players theatres, because I was
addicted to their white cheddar topping for their popcorn. It appeals to me
so much that I'll often see a movie I'm not interested in, just as an excuse
to kill a couple hours eating cheesy popcorn.

So I go to see Open Water on Friday afternoon. I get the usual large
popcorn/drink combo with layered butter, and proceed to the cheese
station for cheesification. What's this, no cheese? Okay, no problem, fill
it up, ticket-ripper kid. The kid tells me they've discontinued the popcorn
toppings. Okay, seeya later Famous Players.

I returned my snack combo and also my ticket, total of $22.50. Went to the
video store and bought copies of Waking Life and Titan AE for $7.99 each,
and rented three other movies for an additional $8. From now on it's DVD,
except for the most necessary movies. For big movies like the next Star
Wars, I think I'll go to AMC where they at least let you butter your own
popcorn.

There's just too much frustration in the movie-going process to justify the
cost of going regularly any more. I'm sure I'll still catch a movie here
and there at my local FP, since it's the most convenient location. I could
probably get used to just having frozen yogurt, but that doesn't last very
long.

As a side benefit, I'll probably lose a few pounds.

Stephen Cooke

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Autodidact wrote:

> For the past few years I've been seeing one or two movies per week at the
> theatre. I would *only* go to Famous Players theatres, because I was
> addicted to their white cheddar topping for their popcorn. It appeals to me
> so much that I'll often see a movie I'm not interested in, just as an excuse
> to kill a couple hours eating cheesy popcorn.
>
> So I go to see Open Water on Friday afternoon. I get the usual large
> popcorn/drink combo with layered butter, and proceed to the cheese
> station for cheesification. What's this, no cheese? Okay, no problem, fill
> it up, ticket-ripper kid. The kid tells me they've discontinued the popcorn
> toppings. Okay, seeya later Famous Players.

You could always buy your own topping at the Bulk Barn.

swac
Maybe Empire buying the Famous Players theaters on the East Coast wasn't
such a bad thing after all...

Autodidact

Stephen Cooke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed).

> On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Autodidact wrote:
>
> > For the past few years I've been seeing one or two movies per week at

the
> > theatre. I would *only* go to Famous Players theatres, because I was
> > addicted to their white cheddar topping for their popcorn. It appeals to

me
> > so much that I'll often see a movie I'm not interested in, just as an

excuse
> > to kill a couple hours eating cheesy popcorn.
> >
> > So I go to see Open Water on Friday afternoon. I get the usual large
> > popcorn/drink combo with layered butter, and proceed to the cheese
> > station for cheesification. What's this, no cheese? Okay, no problem,

fill
> > it up, ticket-ripper kid. The kid tells me they've discontinued the

popcorn
> > toppings. Okay, seeya later Famous Players.

> You could always buy your own topping at the Bulk Barn.

Nope. It has to be the Famous Players popcorn and the Famous Players white
cheddar topping. Any other cheddar topping doesn't even come close.

Aphelion

> There's just too much frustration in the movie-going process to justify
the
> cost of going regularly any more...

I agree. If the projected picture isn't dim, there's some asshole talking
behind you during the movie or a crying baby. Going to the movies has
become a nerve-wracking experience.

Aphelion

Doonie

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:51:50 GMT, Aphelion wrote:

>> There's just too much frustration in the movie-going process to justify

>the
>> cost of going regularly any more...

>I agree. If the projected picture isn't dim, there's some asshole talking
>behind you during the movie or a crying baby. Going to the movies has
>become a nerve-wracking experience.

I hate how all the seats are joined together so if someone in the
row behind you is kicking the seat in front of him, everybody in your
row feels it.

--
http://www.loudnessrace.net

camroy@webtv.net

I gave up the theater a few years ago. People just suck. They don't get
the concept of sitting quiet and still in the dark and watching the
movie.

I tried just going on Christmas day. With only 30 cars in the parking
lot some jerk parked in front of me with the row of cars in back of me
pretty much trapping me.