Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > No sound from DVD

No sound from DVD

Brian Griffin

Although my newly installed Sony DVD Rom DDU1612 works perfectly as a CD
reader and DVD RW DW-U18A works perfectly as a CD reader and writer, neither
will play sound on DVDs although they will give the pictures. The DVD RW
will not write either. Any ideas?

Lil' Dave

DVD play A/V: PowerDVD (windows)
DVD write: Nero
Other hints may follow if you provide OS and its version.
"Brian Griffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cg8j5o$sag$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Although my newly installed Sony DVD Rom DDU1612 works perfectly as a CD
> reader and DVD RW DW-U18A works perfectly as a CD reader and writer,

neither
> will play sound on DVDs although they will give the pictures. The DVD RW
> will not write either. Any ideas?

Brian Griffin

Hi Lil Dave,
Windows XP Pro SP1. Gigabyte 8KNXP. SB Audigy 2. I am using Nero 6 at the
moment. The DVD drives will not play any copyrighted DVDs at all but do play
other peoples family ones etc. but without the sound.
Cheers
Brian
"Lil' Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gTYVc.7625$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> DVD play A/V: PowerDVD (windows)
> DVD write: Nero
> Other hints may follow if you provide OS and its version.
> "Brian Griffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cg8j5o$sag$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Although my newly installed Sony DVD Rom DDU1612 works perfectly as a CD
> > reader and DVD RW DW-U18A works perfectly as a CD reader and writer,

> neither
> > will play sound on DVDs although they will give the pictures. The DVD RW
> > will not write either. Any ideas?

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 13:15:45 +0100, "Brian Griffin"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Lil Dave,
>Windows XP Pro SP1. Gigabyte 8KNXP. SB Audigy 2. I am using Nero 6 at the
>moment. The DVD drives will not play any copyrighted DVDs at all but do play
>other peoples family ones etc. but without the sound.
>Cheers
>Brian
>"Lil' Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:gTYVc.7625$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
>> DVD play A/V: PowerDVD (windows)
>> DVD write: Nero
>> Other hints may follow if you provide OS and its version.
>> "Brian Griffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:cg8j5o$sag$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Although my newly installed Sony DVD Rom DDU1612 works perfectly as a CD
>> > reader and DVD RW DW-U18A works perfectly as a CD reader and writer,

>> neither
>> > will play sound on DVDs although they will give the pictures. The DVD RW
>> > will not write either. Any ideas?

You haven't said what you're using to play the DVDs. If you're not
using a software player such as WinDVD or PowerDVD you may indeed get
problems like no sound or no picture. You can't depend upon Media
Player for DVDs. Install a DVD player. As for writing, Nero 6.0.x
had many bugs including not successfully finishing (or starting) a
burn. Make sure you have Nero 6.3.0.15 or better.

... Steve .

Robin Banks

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi Lil Dave,
> Windows XP Pro SP1. Gigabyte 8KNXP. SB Audigy 2. I am using Nero 6 at the
> moment. The DVD drives will not play any copyrighted DVDs at all but do play
> other peoples family ones etc. but without the sound.

Are you playing them with the Nero Showtime player? If so, you might not have
the DVD-Video plug in. No sound is common when that happens.

~~R.Banks