Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Newbie needs help with MiniDV camcorder

Newbie needs help with MiniDV camcorder

Bob & Kathy

I played my miniDV camcorder tape directly from the cam to TV using S-video
connection. The quality was very good. But, when I transferred from
Camcorder to computer(very fast) to burned DVD....to my surprise the
quality when played on dvd player(excellent model) was so much less tha what
I had expected. It was almost as bad as the VCDs and SVCDs that I burned. I
used the supplied softeware that came with my JVC camcorder to capture to
computer and Nero to burn. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance...Bobkat

Bob & Kathy

Can anyone help here?

"Bob & Kathy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OcQVc.3884$(E-Mail Removed) t...
>I played my miniDV camcorder tape directly from the cam to TV using S-video
>connection. The quality was very good. But, when I transferred from
>Camcorder to computer(very fast) to burned DVD....to my surprise the
>quality when played on dvd player(excellent model) was so much less tha
>what I had expected. It was almost as bad as the VCDs and SVCDs that I
>burned. I used the supplied softeware that came with my JVC camcorder to
>capture to computer and Nero to burn. Is this normal?
>

> Thanks in advance...Bobkat

Wayne

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 15:26:07 GMT, "Bob & Kathy"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can anyone help here?
>

>"Bob & Kathy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:OcQVc.3884$(E-Mail Removed) et...
>>I played my miniDV camcorder tape directly from the cam to TV using S-video
>>connection. The quality was very good. But, when I transferred from
>>Camcorder to computer(very fast) to burned DVD....to my surprise the
>>quality when played on dvd player(excellent model) was so much less tha
>>what I had expected. It was almost as bad as the VCDs and SVCDs that I
>>burned. I used the supplied softeware that came with my JVC camcorder to
>>capture to computer and Nero to burn. Is this normal?
>>

>> Thanks in advance...Bobkat

You can probably get more information on solving your problem if you
check a couple of other news groups. I am doing the same thing now and
find these groups reall helpfull for answering questions.
If you would like a couple of websites you can check out email me and
I will send you some that have a lot of good information.

alt.video.dvd.software
rec.video
rec.video.desktop

Hope This Helps

Wayne

FAQmeister

"Bob & Kathy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OcQVc.3884$(E-Mail Removed) t
> I played my miniDV camcorder tape directly from the cam to TV using
> S-video connection. The quality was very good. But, when I
> transferred from Camcorder to computer(very fast) to burned DVD....to
> my surprise the quality when played on dvd player(excellent model)
> was so much less tha what I had expected. It was almost as bad as the
> VCDs and SVCDs that I burned. I used the supplied softeware that came
> with my JVC camcorder to capture to computer and Nero to burn. Is
> this normal?
>

> Thanks in advance...Bobkat

When you view using the S-video connection you are seeing uncompressed
video. When you capture the video for burning to a dvd it is compressed.
You can usually tweak the settings in the capture program to improve the
quality, but the trade-off is that the higher the quality the less video
will fit on the DVD.
--
Buford T. Justice
The alt.video.dvd faq is located at: