Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > dvd won't play DVDs just CDs Help!

dvd won't play DVDs just CDs Help!

zmartha

I have no idea why I used to be able to play DVDs and now I can't. I didn't
uninstall something connected to it. I think I upgraded to WMD 9 some time
this last year and it was some time in this last year that the DVD began to
not show on My Computer until I jiggled the wires. Now it shows up and
plays CDs, but I don't have the original Gateway CD that my PC came with
because I gave all that away. I am trying to get a hold of the kid I
gave my old PC to (without the DVD player) to see if he can email me the
software that came with this Nec DVD player.
I saw cliprex for free, but don't know if I can use it as I have only
active-x 8 and it mentions active-x 9. Whew!
"Mischa van Dinter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 15:15:29 -0500, "zmartha" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Mischa:
> >When I look at the files on the disc, I do see TS folders. I am looking

for
> >a free DVD dedicated software on the freeware newsgroup. I guess WMD

codec
> >installing is the only free answer, but I don't know how to install them.

> AFAIK, WMD codecs will not allow you to play back DVDs, you need a DVD
> player. I have never used a free one, I've been using PowerDVD myself
> as it came bundled with my VGA card, but I have tried google and found
> this one: http://www.cliprex.com/. The DVD player on that site claims
> to include the free decoders you need, although I have not tried it
> myself.
>
> But, how is it possible you were able to play back DVDs before and you
> can not do that now? The fact that you need a decoder is nothing new,
> you should have had one if you played DVDs.
>
> Mischa

Mischa van Dinter

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 08:37:13 -0500, "zmartha" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have no idea why I used to be able to play DVDs and now I can't. I didn't
>uninstall something connected to it. I think I upgraded to WMD 9 some time
>this last year and it was some time in this last year that the DVD began to
>not show on My Computer until I jiggled the wires. Now it shows up and
>plays CDs, but I don't have the original Gateway CD that my PC came with
>because I gave all that away. I am trying to get a hold of the kid I
>gave my old PC to (without the DVD player) to see if he can email me the
>software that came with this Nec DVD player.
> I saw cliprex for free, but don't know if I can use it as I have only
>active-x 8 and it mentions active-x 9. Whew!

I think that should be direct-x 9, not active-x, and that is free too,
just get it from microsoft.com. It's a good idea to always use the
most recent version of direct-x if you plan on playing games etc.
anyway. If you're set on getting a free player and not buy one, i
would get direct-x 9 and try cliprex.

Mischa

zmartha

"Mischa van Dinter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 08:37:13 -0500, "zmartha" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >I have no idea why I used to be able to play DVDs and now I can't. I

didn't
> >uninstall something connected to it. I think I upgraded to WMD 9 some

time
> >this last year and it was some time in this last year that the DVD began

> >not show on My Computer until I jiggled the wires. Now it shows up and
> >plays CDs, but I don't have the original Gateway CD that my PC came with
> >because I gave all that away. I am trying to get a hold of the kid I
> >gave my old PC to (without the DVD player) to see if he can email me the
> >software that came with this Nec DVD player.
> > I saw cliprex for free, but don't know if I can use it as I have only
> >active-x 8 and it mentions active-x 9. Whew!

> I think that should be direct-x 9, not active-x, and that is free too,
> just get it from microsoft.com. It's a good idea to always use the
> most recent version of direct-x if you plan on playing games etc.
> anyway. If you're set on getting a free player and not buy one, i
> would get direct-x 9 and try cliprex.
>
> Mischa

You are correct, Mischa, direct-x not active-x. Sheeesh! What a dummy I
am! Thanks, I may download direct-x 9, but I don't use games. Hope it
doesn't mess up like some of the other MS updating type files do. Gulp.

Mischa van Dinter

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 17:01:16 -0500, "zmartha" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>You are correct, Mischa, direct-x not active-x. Sheeesh! What a dummy I
>am! Thanks, I may download direct-x 9, but I don't use games. Hope it
>doesn't mess up like some of the other MS updating type files do. Gulp.

Well, I've been using directx 9 and had no problems, so i would try
it. Good luck getting it up and running!

Mischa