Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > _Duel_: missing sound effect on 5.1-channel tracks?

_Duel_: missing sound effect on 5.1-channel tracks?

Douglas Bailey

Something for _Duel_ fans to keep in mind: according to this post on the
Home Theater Forum...

<http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?postid=2343273>

....the DVD of _Duel_, finally given a full release this week, is missing an
important sound effect in the climactic scene on both the Dolby Digital and
DTS 5.1-channel remix tracks.

(According to the poster, the effect is present on the original mono
soundtrack, which is also included on the DVD. And it's mentioned by
Spielberg in the supplements, which makes it all the more surprising that
the remixers didn't think to check it.)

It's a pity this error wasn't caught during all the time this disc was held
back from the market. I wonder if Universal will have to offer a trade-in
replacement program for this disc, as they did for _Jurassic Park_'s DTS
disc... and the _Back to the Future_ set... and _Monty Python's The Meaning
of Life_... *sigh*.

doug

--
"I am mesmerised by my own beat like a heartbeat..."
--Wire

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:51:15 -0400, Douglas Bailey
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Something for _Duel_ fans to keep in mind: according to this post on the
>Home Theater Forum...
>
> <http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?postid=2343273>
>
>...the DVD of _Duel_, finally given a full release this week, is missing an
>important sound effect in the climactic scene on both the Dolby Digital and
>DTS 5.1-channel remix tracks.
>
>(According to the poster, the effect is present on the original mono
>soundtrack, which is also included on the DVD. And it's mentioned by
>Spielberg in the supplements, which makes it all the more surprising that
>the remixers didn't think to check it.)
>
>It's a pity this error wasn't caught during all the time this disc was held
>back from the market. I wonder if Universal will have to offer a trade-in
>replacement program for this disc, as they did for _Jurassic Park_'s DTS
>disc... and the _Back to the Future_ set... and _Monty Python's The Meaning
>of Life_... *sigh*.
>
>doug

So it is the same release as the one I got last year during the
two-day "release" of the film from Amazon. It's interesting to note
that one suggestion for why the release was cancelled then was due to
this same missing effect.

... Steve ..

Poisonmail

<< I wonder if Universal will have to offer a trade-in replacement program for
this disc >>

Since it has the mono soundtrack, I doubt it.

I've tried vainly to understand the point of remixing these movies to 5.1,
especially if we can't do it right, but as long as I get the real sound I don't
care what they put on the other tracks. I can understand being ****ed about it,
though, especially since it's a rather famous part of the movie.

n.

http://www.dusty-books.com

HP Pavilion Laptop dv5120eu Sound drivers missing NO Sound on Lapt =?Utf-8?B?TWlnaHR5amluam8=?= Windows 64bit 3 10-22-2007 06:14 PM
Sound Quality In Sound API Luc The Perverse Java 4 10-31-2005 04:36 AM
Trigger a sound effect Merlin HTML 0 05-03-2004 11:30 AM
No sound. Yellow exclamation by" Windows sound system". =?Utf-8?B?VGFueWE=?= MCSE 2 10-26-2003 07:44 PM

Advertisments