Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD Pacific customer database breached

DVD Pacific customer database breached

Don Leighty

After receiving an email this morning from DVD Pacific saying that
they had changed my password to secure my customer information, I
checked my credit card online and found that half a dozen fraudulent
transactions totalling over five hundred dollars had posted on the
18th. DVD Pacific's security measures (installed AFTER they suspected
a problem) seem to indicate their customer database has been plundered
by Russians or Ukrainians.

Heads up, folks. Check your credit cards if you've ever dealt with
DVD Pacific.

---
Best Wishes,
Don Leighty

"Turn me on, Redmond. Turn me on, Redmond."

HappyHunter

On 18 Aug 2004 08:46:18 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Don Leighty)
wrote:

>After receiving an email this morning from DVD Pacific saying that
>they had changed my password to secure my customer information, I
>checked my credit card online and found that half a dozen fraudulent
>transactions totalling over five hundred dollars had posted on the
>18th. DVD Pacific's security measures (installed AFTER they suspected
>a problem) seem to indicate their customer database has been plundered
>by Russians or Ukrainians.
>
>Heads up, folks. Check your credit cards if you've ever dealt with
>DVD Pacific.

Hi, what was the description attached to the charge (who was
requesting it)?

TIA

Don Leighty

(E-Mail Removed) (HappyHunter) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> On 18 Aug 2004 08:46:18 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Don Leighty)
> wrote:
>
> >After receiving an email this morning from DVD Pacific saying that
> >they had changed my password to secure my customer information, I
> >checked my credit card online and found that half a dozen fraudulent
> >transactions totalling over five hundred dollars had posted on the
> >18th. DVD Pacific's security measures (installed AFTER they suspected
> >a problem) seem to indicate their customer database has been plundered
> >by Russians or Ukrainians.
> >
> >Heads up, folks. Check your credit cards if you've ever dealt with
> >DVD Pacific.
> >

> Hi, what was the description attached to the charge (who was
> requesting it)?
>
> TIA

I don't know the exact wording - as soon as I closed the credit card
account I lost access to its online transaction history. The charges
will eventually show up on my new account, though (in a couple of
weeks).

As best I can recall, two were listed as "Yahoo Wallet", one was
"2CO.COM", and another was something to do with "NAMESECURE". I can't
remember the rest. All looked like online services of one type or
another, though.

---