Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > 1st DVD Experience

1st DVD Experience

Autodidact

I broke my DVD cherry with a viewing of Goldeneye, back in the fall of 1997.
I watched that and Liar Liar over and over again on the player I shared with
my roommate at school.

Did anyone have a memorable experience of their first exposure to DVD?

M.B.

Autodidact wrote:

> I broke my DVD cherry with a viewing of Goldeneye, back in the fall of 1997.
> I watched that and Liar Liar over and over again on the player I shared with
> my roommate at school.
>
> Did anyone have a memorable experience of their first exposure to DVD?

My first DVD was Blade. I thought it was a cool flick and couldn't get
over the extras. Actually, compared to a lot of SE DVDs released today
and considering when that was released, it has a very impressive
collection of extras with it.

Autodidact

M.B. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6s9Uc.1778$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Autodidact wrote:
>
> > I broke my DVD cherry with a viewing of Goldeneye, back in the fall of

1997.
> > I watched that and Liar Liar over and over again on the player I shared

with
> > my roommate at school.
> >
> > Did anyone have a memorable experience of their first exposure to DVD?
> >

> My first DVD was Blade. I thought it was a cool flick and couldn't get
> over the extras. Actually, compared to a lot of SE DVDs released today
> and considering when that was released, it has a very impressive
> collection of extras with it.

That was the first DVD that I saw with a menu that really showed off what
the format could do. The transitions between menu options kept me
entertained for quite a while the first time I got ahold of the remote.

Jay Stewart

"Autodidact" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZP8Uc.3583$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I broke my DVD cherry with a viewing of Goldeneye, back in the fall of

1997.
> I watched that and Liar Liar over and over again on the player I shared

with
> my roommate at school.
>
> Did anyone have a memorable experience of their first exposure to DVD?

I am embarrassed to say my first DVD was "The Jackal" with Bruce Willis and
Richard Gere.

However, when Jack Black got his arm shredded, I knew my LD collection was
obsolete.

Aaron J. Bossig

"Autodidact" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:ZP8Uc.3583$(E-Mail Removed):

> I broke my DVD cherry with a viewing of Goldeneye, back in the fall of
> 1997. I watched that and Liar Liar over and over again on the player I
> shared with my roommate at school.
>
> Did anyone have a memorable experience of their first exposure to DVD?

Interestingly enough, my first DVD viewing was Tomorrow Never Dies.
That was all it took to convince me that LD was on its way out.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com

LASERandDVDfan

My very first DVD ownership experience was in 2000 with a Toshiba SD-1200 and a
rented copy of the "X-Men" movie in its OAR.

Even when playing with 16:9 downconversion and using composite connections for
the video, I was stunned at the picture quality. I didn't care for the remote
of the player, so I exchanged it for a Sony DVP-S360, which I still use today
with anamorphic enhancement and s-video when I replaced my old TV.

I bought my Dad his first DVD player, which was a Sharp DV-S1. Liked it's
seamless layer changes, but not how it popped the subtitles on the screen once
in a while. So, I exchanged the player for my Dad for a Panasonic DVD-RV41.
Slower layer change, but totally flawless otherwise and a great step up in
comparison to that Sharp.

However, my Dad's first DVD experience was also with X-Men with my first DVD
player. - Reinhart

Mike Jackson

>I broke my DVD cherry with a viewing of Goldeneye, back in the fall of
>1997.
> I watched that and Liar Liar over and over again on the player I shared
> with
> my roommate at school.
>
> Did anyone have a memorable experience of their first exposure to DVD?

My first exposure was working in the electronics department of a department
store in about 1997/98. We ran the original release of "Twister" ad
infinitum. I wasn't too impressed, because I could spot the pixelation in
the heavy-action scenes. But, on the other hand, everything at that point
was OAR, which impressed me; I had long before been converted to buying
widescreen VHS when it was available. OAR was the big selling point for me.

It was around that time that I had my first encounter with the anti-black
bar crowd, though it was in a roundabout manner. This customer asked what it
meant on the "L.A. Confidential" case that it was dual-layered. I explained
this concept as clearly as possible. No no no, he asked, what does
dual-layered mean? Okay, I dumbed down the explanation. Repeat. Finally, he
blurted out if it had the black bars, because he didn't like losing any of
the picture. Dumbass. I would've gladly taken away his player, since I was a
poor college student at the time. I didn't get my first player until 1999;
my first discs were "L.A. Confidential" (oh, the irony), "The Matrix," and
"The Nightmare Before Christmas."

Mike Jackson
Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
www.dvdverdict.com

JWB

"Autodidact" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZP8Uc.3583$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I broke my DVD cherry with a viewing of Goldeneye, back in the fall of

1997.
> I watched that and Liar Liar over and over again on the player I shared

with
> my roommate at school.
>
> Did anyone have a memorable experience of their first exposure to DVD?

First DVD was "Suspiria", and it blew me away. Never has that film looked so
good.

Kram Sacul

"Autodidact" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<ZP8Uc.3583$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I broke my DVD cherry with a viewing of Goldeneye, back in the fall of 1997.
> I watched that and Liar Liar over and over again on the player I shared with
> my roommate at school.
>
> Did anyone have a memorable experience of their first exposure to DVD?

Watching horribly pixelated and tinny sounding clips of Twister and
other movies at an electronic store. Some things never change. Even
DVD just plain sucks on an uncalibrated NTSC set.

Galley

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:28:46 -0400, "Autodidact" <(E-Mail Removed)> spewed
forth these words of wisdom:

>I broke my DVD cherry with a viewing of Goldeneye, back in the fall of 1997.
>I watched that and Liar Liar over and over again on the player I shared with
>my roommate at school.
>
>Did anyone have a memorable experience of their first exposure to DVD?

I bought "Twister" and" Fleetwood Mac - The Dance" and demoed them at work, a
few months before I bought my first player in Feb. of 1998.

Galley