Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Debunking the myth of DVD rot

Debunking the myth of DVD rot

Smaug69

FAQmeister

"Smaug69" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om
> http://www.enterprisenetworksandserv...ly/art.php/867

I liked this part:

"If you're eating popcorn while watching your videos and want to change
discs, wipe your hands vigorously on your pants or shirt..."
--
Buford T. Justice
The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:

BOHICA

"FAQmeister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cfquvh$cpq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Smaug69" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om
> > http://www.enterprisenetworksandserv...ly/art.php/867

> I liked this part:
>
> "If you're eating popcorn while watching your videos and want to change
> discs, wipe your hands vigorously on your pants or shirt..."

I guess I've been following the correct procedure for years...

napalm68

Myth indeed...

Yeah, delamination is a bitch. Main cause of that as they say is force
required to get the disc out of the container. Unfortunately some of the
clasps manufacturers make are just plain **** . My R4 XFiles boxes have a
disgusting clasp mechanism that I have had to trim with a chisel so that the
discs can be removed and replaced with a small amount of force

"BOHICA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Nd7Uc.14619$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "FAQmeister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cfquvh$cpq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Smaug69" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om
> > > http://www.enterprisenetworksandserv...ly/art.php/867

> > I liked this part:
> >
> > "If you're eating popcorn while watching your videos and want to change
> > discs, wipe your hands vigorously on your pants or shirt..."

> I guess I've been following the correct procedure for years...

Eric R.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Smaug69) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...

> http://www.enterprisenetworksandserv...ly/art.php/867

DVD "rot" is not a myth, though it may be exaggerated. It has been
shown consistently with certain titles, particularly with some of
Warner's early Dual-layered titles (like the first pressing of
"Contact"). That's not to say that it happens with every copy of these
films, but it happens enough to indicate that it *IS* real and does
get worse over time.

Now, of course, the term "rot" is kind of a catch-all term for DVD
(just as it was on LD) so we can debate exactly what the nature of the
problem is (likely a poor early manufacturing process). But it is
clear that the problems have indeed been real--though the problems
haven't been nearly as consistent as they were back in the LD days,
with those damn Sony pressings.

-Eric

Jay Stewart

"Eric R." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Smaug69) wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...

> > http://www.enterprisenetworksandserv...ly/art.php/867

> DVD "rot" is not a myth, though it may be exaggerated. It has been
> shown consistently with certain titles, particularly with some of
> Warner's early Dual-layered titles (like the first pressing of
> "Contact"). That's not to say that it happens with every copy of these
> films, but it happens enough to indicate that it *IS* real and does
> get worse over time.
>
> Now, of course, the term "rot" is kind of a catch-all term for DVD
> (just as it was on LD) so we can debate exactly what the nature of the
> problem is (likely a poor early manufacturing process). But it is
> clear that the problems have indeed been real--though the problems
> haven't been nearly as consistent as they were back in the LD days,
> with those damn Sony pressings.
>
> -Eric

Rot seems to be a catch all term for very real problems. My elderly copy of
"Network" has delamination bubbles on the WS and Pan 'n' Scam sides of the
disc, rendering it unplayable at about the 90 minute mark.

It is, however, the only disc out of +500 that I've seen this on.

Jake

Exactly. This "article" which says there is no such thing as rot but
it mentions that delamination can occur. To me it's simply using a
different term to describe the same thing because in my book
delamination = rot. If a DVD used to play fine on a couple different
players and 2 years later it won't play all the way through (it locks
up with large blocks on the screen) on the same players as before --
or any other players, then that is rot/delamination/oxidation, etc.

So rather than debunk the myth of DVD rot, this article confirmed what
I already knew to be the case from personal experience -- rot does
exist, but fortunately it has been quite rare in my experience... so
far.

(E-Mail Removed) (Eric R.) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) om>...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Smaug69) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
>
> > http://www.enterprisenetworksandserv...ly/art.php/867

> DVD "rot" is not a myth, though it may be exaggerated. It has been
> shown consistently with certain titles, particularly with some of
> Warner's early Dual-layered titles (like the first pressing of
> "Contact"). That's not to say that it happens with every copy of these
> films, but it happens enough to indicate that it *IS* real and does
> get worse over time.

That is not rot, however.

> Now, of course, the term "rot" is kind of a catch-all term for DVD
> (just as it was on LD) so we can debate exactly what the nature of the
> problem is (likely a poor early manufacturing process). But it is
> clear that the problems have indeed been real--though the problems
> haven't been nearly as consistent as they were back in the LD days,
> with those damn Sony pressings.

Rot is a carry-over term from Laserdsic that has no meaning when
discussing the problems that arise with the DVD media.

Smaug69

Smaug69

"Jay Stewart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<TNuUc.135510$gE.34604@pd7tw3no>...

<snip>

> Rot seems to be a catch all term for very real problems. My elderly copy of
> "Network" has delamination bubbles on the WS and Pan 'n' Scam sides of the
> disc, rendering it unplayable at about the 90 minute mark.
>
> It is, however, the only disc out of +500 that I've seen this on.

That is not rot, though, it's delamination. If we are going to refer
to the problems it is better to actually use terms that refer to the
problem as specifically as possible instead of using a misnomer word
like "rot."

Smaug69

Eric R.

(E-Mail Removed) (Smaug69) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...

> > DVD "rot" is not a myth, though it may be exaggerated. It has been
> > shown consistently with certain titles, particularly with some of
> > Warner's early Dual-layered titles (like the first pressing of
> > "Contact"). That's not to say that it happens with every copy of these
> > films, but it happens enough to indicate that it *IS* real and does
> > get worse over time.

> That is not rot, however.

There is no set definition of "rot." On Laserdisc it was an informal
term used to describe a number of conditions that could cause a LD to
fail over a period of time.

Whether it will come into common use with DVD remains to be seen. So
far, there don't appear to be nearly as many cases of degradation with
DVD as there were with LD.

-Eric