Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Creating a DVD

Creating a DVD

Barry Delfino

I've captured a TV source in .mpg format. What type of file do I need to
convert the .mpg to in order to create a DVD that will autoplay in a regular
DVD player? Is there a FAQ or primer on this that someone can point out to
me?

Thanks very much in advance!
Barry

Kevin Miller

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 20:07:24 -0400, "Barry Delfino"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've captured a TV source in .mpg format. What type of file do I need to
>convert the .mpg to in order to create a DVD that will autoplay in a regular
>DVD player? Is there a FAQ or primer on this that someone can point out to
>me?
>
>Thanks very much in advance!
>Barry

This should be a good start:

www.videohelp.com

This site is a wealth of good information concerning DVD creation.
Good luck!

Kevin Miller

"Either way, it is bad for Zathras."

Joe McC

"Kevin Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 20:07:24 -0400, "Barry Delfino"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I've captured a TV source in .mpg format. What type of file do I need to
> >convert the .mpg to in order to create a DVD that will autoplay in a

regular
> >DVD player? Is there a FAQ or primer on this that someone can point out

> >me?
> >
> >Thanks very much in advance!
> >Barry

Barry, it can be a bit confusing & daunting at times, but eventually very
simple.

I'd recommend using Ulead DVD Workshop 1.3 or V2....so easy even a simpleton
like me mastered it in 10 mins. Try a trial download off the ulead site.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've captured a TV source in .mpg format. What type of file do I need to
>convert the .mpg to in order to create a DVD that will autoplay in a regular
>DVD player? Is there a FAQ or primer on this that someone can point out to
>me?
>
>Thanks very much in advance!
>Barry

Joe McC is absolutely right; the learning curve isn't as bad as you
might think. Just be willing to experiment and, above all, be patient.
You'll probably muck up a few disks along the way, but once you have
the process down and you have all the tools you need, it'll be a
breeze. And never be afraid to ask questions.

My latest challenge is learning how to author and burn the new DVD+R
dual layer disks. I've mucked up a few of those, but I've learned a
lot of practical stuff in a short time. Nevertheless, it's a pretty
expensive laboratory!

usenet@isbd.co.uk

In alt.video.dvd.software Barry Delfino <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've captured a TV source in .mpg format. What type of file do I need to
> convert the .mpg to in order to create a DVD that will autoplay in a regular
> DVD player? Is there a FAQ or primer on this that someone can point out to
> me?

You don't necessarily have to change it to any other format. Many
recent (usually cheap) DVD players will play .MPG files directly. Try
just copying the file to a DVD and see if your DVD player can play it.

--
Chris Green

Comfortably Numb

if your dvd player will play mpeg (i think most do) wouldnt be be cheaper
and easier to just burn vcd on cdr rather than dvd?

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a couple of drinks behind."
Humphrey Bogart

usenet@isbd.co.uk

In alt.video.dvd.software Comfortably Numb <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In alt.video.dvd.software Barry Delfino <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > I've captured a TV source in .mpg format. What type of file do I need to
> > > convert the .mpg to in order to create a DVD that will autoplay in a

> regular
> > > DVD player? Is there a FAQ or primer on this that someone can point out

> > > me?
> > >

> > You don't necessarily have to change it to any other format. Many
> > recent (usually cheap) DVD players will play .MPG files directly. Try
> > just copying the file to a DVD and see if your DVD player can play it.
> >

> if your dvd player will play mpeg (i think most do) wouldnt be be cheaper
> and easier to just burn vcd on cdr rather than dvd?

It depends on the size doesn't it, if it will fit on a CD then OK but
otherwise an .MPG file on a DVD makes sense. Also, can most DVD
players read CDs?

--
Chris Green

luminos

Kevin,

Could you please list a few pointers about the DVD+R dual layer authoring,
including the software you are using?

I just purchased some discs and the Pioneer 108 and would appreciate
avoiding any pitfalls.

Someone posted a source for 6 Verbatim discs at $49, so I am willing to
tread carefully forward. I have all original mpegs (not ripped), however
need the capacity to assemble a special series of projects.

luminos

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:38:50 -0700, "luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Kevin,
>
>Could you please list a few pointers about the DVD+R dual layer authoring,
>including the software you are using?

I'm currently using DVDMaestro (we spoke to this subject a few days
ago) for the authoring. I think I posted this link as well, but just
in case I didn't:

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=225001

My user name on that forum is Frunobulax. The biggest problem seems to
be the proper insertion of the layer break.

>I just purchased some discs and the Pioneer 108 and would appreciate
>avoiding any pitfalls.
>
>Someone posted a source for 6 Verbatim discs at $49, so I am willing to
>tread carefully forward. I have all original mpegs (not ripped), however
>need the capacity to assemble a special series of projects.

I posted the link for the disks.

>luminos

Kevin Miller

"Either way, it is bad for Zathras."

Ken Maltby

"Kevin Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:38:50 -0700, "luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Kevin,
> >
> >Could you please list a few pointers about the DVD+R dual layer

authoring,
> >including the software you are using?

> I'm currently using DVDMaestro (we spoke to this subject a few days
> ago) for the authoring. I think I posted this link as well, but just
> in case I didn't:
>
> http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=225001
>
> My user name on that forum is Frunobulax. The biggest problem seems to
> be the proper insertion of the layer break.
>
> >I just purchased some discs and the Pioneer 108 and would appreciate
> >avoiding any pitfalls.
> >
> >Someone posted a source for 6 Verbatim discs at $49, so I am willing to
> >tread carefully forward. I have all original mpegs (not ripped), however
> >need the capacity to assemble a special series of projects.

> I posted the link for the disks.
>
> >luminos

> Kevin Miller
>
> "Either way, it is bad for Zathras."

Interesting thread "Mr Garabaldi" (couldn't find a Zathras
thumbnail?) I didn't see any mention of the TMPGEnc DVD
Author 1.6 w/DL support. I have a ND-2510A and it shows
up in TDA 1.6 correctly. I'm not ready to spend the $$ for DL
media, yet; but I would be interested to know if there is a layer
break problem with TDA (and/or its built-in burner). Have you
run across any mention of problems using that approach?

Luck;
Ken