Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Heeeeeeelp... Newbie with avi to dvd (or svcd) please.

Heeeeeeelp... Newbie with avi to dvd (or svcd) please.

Mike

I have six AVI files which I downloaded from the net. I have
tried:

DVD2SVCD
CCE SP
TMPGenc

Nothing seems to like these avi files and I'm a complete newbie.
GSpot gives the following information...

AVI File Details
Name.........: system_administration_level_1_a.avi
Filesize.....: 179 MB (or 184,044 KB or 188,461,056 bytes)
Runtime......: 00:57:16 (102,987 fr)
Video Codec..: S-Mpeg 4 version 2
Video Bitrate: 303 kb/s
Audio Codec..: 0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3
Audio Bitrate: 128 kb/s (64/ch, stereo) CBR
Frame Size...: 480x352 (1.36:1) [=15:11]

Audio Format:
Code: 0x0055
Name: WAVE_FORMAT_MPEGLAYER3 (MP3)
Vendor: ISO/MPEG

The following codecs should both capable of processing this
format:

-->> {Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec (advanced)}
-->> {MPEG Layer-3 Decoder}

DirectShow was also able to find a codec to render it - the
sound for this media clip should work fine.

The following codecs should both capable of processing this
format:

{Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Decompressor}
{Mpeg4 Decoder DMO}

DirectShow is apparently able to play the file as well (see
"DirectShow Render", below),

DirectShow claims to be able to play the file. The following
combination of filters were used:

{D:\burn\Learning Red ..-..tration_level_1_a.avi} (Source)
{AVI Splitter} (Splitter)

{Mpeg4 Decoder DMO} (Video Decoder)
{Video Renderer} (Video Renderer)

{MPEG Layer-3 Decoder} (Audio Decoder)
{Default DirectSound Device} (Audio Renderer)

End details

The six files weigh in at just over 1 gig, so ideally I want to
burn them to a DVD to view on my domestic DVD player.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Nick Legrand

DVD2SVCD and CCE are for other purposes...

TMPGenc plus can do the job.. if not... it's something with your avi file...

you could try virtualdub to re-encode it and then try tmpgenc again..

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have six AVI files which I downloaded from the net. I have
> tried:
>
> DVD2SVCD
> CCE SP
> TMPGenc
>
> Nothing seems to like these avi files and I'm a complete newbie.
> GSpot gives the following information...
>
> AVI File Details
> Name.........: system_administration_level_1_a.avi
> Filesize.....: 179 MB (or 184,044 KB or 188,461,056 bytes)
> Runtime......: 00:57:16 (102,987 fr)
> Video Codec..: S-Mpeg 4 version 2
> Video Bitrate: 303 kb/s
> Audio Codec..: 0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3
> Audio Bitrate: 128 kb/s (64/ch, stereo) CBR
> Frame Size...: 480x352 (1.36:1) [=15:11]
>
> Audio Format:
> Code: 0x0055
> Name: WAVE_FORMAT_MPEGLAYER3 (MP3)
> Vendor: ISO/MPEG
>
> The following codecs should both capable of processing this
> format:
>
> -->> {Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec (advanced)}
> -->> {MPEG Layer-3 Decoder}
>
> DirectShow was also able to find a codec to render it - the
> sound for this media clip should work fine.
>
> The following codecs should both capable of processing this
> format:
>
> {Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Decompressor}
> {Mpeg4 Decoder DMO}
>
> DirectShow is apparently able to play the file as well (see
> "DirectShow Render", below),
>
> DirectShow claims to be able to play the file. The following
> combination of filters were used:
>
> {D:\burn\Learning Red ..-..tration_level_1_a.avi} (Source)
> {AVI Splitter} (Splitter)
>
> {Mpeg4 Decoder DMO} (Video Decoder)
> {Video Renderer} (Video Renderer)
>
> {MPEG Layer-3 Decoder} (Audio Decoder)
> {Default DirectSound Device} (Audio Renderer)

> End details
>

> The six files weigh in at just over 1 gig, so ideally I want to
> burn them to a DVD to view on my domestic DVD player.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks.

HiHoSilverLining

I've found a lot of avi files that TMPGenc can't use, i think's it's due to
them being dv2 instead of dv1 (although I'm not even sure what that means!),
i can convert them ok using nero vision express or eo video (free trial
available for download), or windows movie maker will convert them into .wmv
or avi files that tmpgenc can then use.

hth.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have six AVI files which I downloaded from the net. I have
> tried:
>
> DVD2SVCD
> CCE SP
> TMPGenc
>
> Nothing seems to like these avi files and I'm a complete newbie.
> GSpot gives the following information...
>
> AVI File Details
> Name.........: system_administration_level_1_a.avi
> Filesize.....: 179 MB (or 184,044 KB or 188,461,056 bytes)
> Runtime......: 00:57:16 (102,987 fr)
> Video Codec..: S-Mpeg 4 version 2
> Video Bitrate: 303 kb/s
> Audio Codec..: 0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3
> Audio Bitrate: 128 kb/s (64/ch, stereo) CBR
> Frame Size...: 480x352 (1.36:1) [=15:11]
>
> Audio Format:
> Code: 0x0055
> Name: WAVE_FORMAT_MPEGLAYER3 (MP3)
> Vendor: ISO/MPEG
>
> The following codecs should both capable of processing this
> format:
>
> -->> {Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec (advanced)}
> -->> {MPEG Layer-3 Decoder}
>
> DirectShow was also able to find a codec to render it - the
> sound for this media clip should work fine.
>
> The following codecs should both capable of processing this
> format:
>
> {Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Decompressor}
> {Mpeg4 Decoder DMO}
>
> DirectShow is apparently able to play the file as well (see
> "DirectShow Render", below),
>
> DirectShow claims to be able to play the file. The following
> combination of filters were used:
>
> {D:\burn\Learning Red ..-..tration_level_1_a.avi} (Source)
> {AVI Splitter} (Splitter)
>
> {Mpeg4 Decoder DMO} (Video Decoder)
> {Video Renderer} (Video Renderer)
>
> {MPEG Layer-3 Decoder} (Audio Decoder)
> {Default DirectSound Device} (Audio Renderer)

> End details
>

> The six files weigh in at just over 1 gig, so ideally I want to
> burn them to a DVD to view on my domestic DVD player.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks.

Nick Legrand

yeah like I said.. if they use a strange codec or so....
divx would be good for tmpenc

"HiHoSilverLining" <nospam@****off.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've found a lot of avi files that TMPGenc can't use, i think's it's due

> them being dv2 instead of dv1 (although I'm not even sure what that

means!),
> i can convert them ok using nero vision express or eo video (free trial
> available for download), or windows movie maker will convert them into

..wmv
> or avi files that tmpgenc can then use.
>
> hth.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have six AVI files which I downloaded from the net. I have
> > tried:
> >
> > DVD2SVCD
> > CCE SP
> > TMPGenc
> >
> > Nothing seems to like these avi files and I'm a complete newbie.
> > GSpot gives the following information...
> >
> > AVI File Details
> > Name.........: system_administration_level_1_a.avi
> > Filesize.....: 179 MB (or 184,044 KB or 188,461,056 bytes)
> > Runtime......: 00:57:16 (102,987 fr)
> > Video Codec..: S-Mpeg 4 version 2
> > Video Bitrate: 303 kb/s
> > Audio Codec..: 0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3
> > Audio Bitrate: 128 kb/s (64/ch, stereo) CBR
> > Frame Size...: 480x352 (1.36:1) [=15:11]
> >
> > Audio Format:
> > Code: 0x0055
> > Name: WAVE_FORMAT_MPEGLAYER3 (MP3)
> > Vendor: ISO/MPEG
> >
> > The following codecs should both capable of processing this
> > format:
> >
> > -->> {Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec (advanced)}
> > -->> {MPEG Layer-3 Decoder}
> >
> > DirectShow was also able to find a codec to render it - the
> > sound for this media clip should work fine.
> >
> > The following codecs should both capable of processing this
> > format:
> >
> > {Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Decompressor}
> > {Mpeg4 Decoder DMO}
> >
> > DirectShow is apparently able to play the file as well (see
> > "DirectShow Render", below),
> >
> > DirectShow claims to be able to play the file. The following
> > combination of filters were used:
> >
> > {D:\burn\Learning Red ..-..tration_level_1_a.avi} (Source)
> > {AVI Splitter} (Splitter)
> >
> > {Mpeg4 Decoder DMO} (Video Decoder)
> > {Video Renderer} (Video Renderer)
> >
> > {MPEG Layer-3 Decoder} (Audio Decoder)
> > {Default DirectSound Device} (Audio Renderer)

> > End details
> >

> > The six files weigh in at just over 1 gig, so ideally I want to
> > burn them to a DVD to view on my domestic DVD player.
> >
> > Can anyone help?
> >
> > Thanks.

Mike

"HiHoSilverLining" <nospam@****off.com> wrote:

>"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have six AVI files which I downloaded from the net. I have
>> tried:
>>
>> DVD2SVCD
>> CCE SP
>> TMPGenc

<details>

>> The six files weigh in at just over 1 gig, so ideally I want to
>> burn them to a DVD to view on my domestic DVD player.

>I've found a lot of avi files that TMPGenc can't use, i think's it's due to
>them being dv2 instead of dv1 (although I'm not even sure what that means!),
>i can convert them ok using nero vision express or eo video (free trial
>available for download), or windows movie maker will convert them into .wmv
>or avi files that tmpgenc can then use.

Erk.. One file is going to take over seven hours to save, so
that's almost four days for all six AVI's..

Mike

"Nick Legrand" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have six AVI files which I downloaded from the net. I have
>> tried:

>> TMPGenc
>>
>> Nothing seems to like these avi files and I'm a complete newbie.
>> GSpot gives the following information...

>> The six files weigh in at just over 1 gig, so ideally I want to
>> burn them to a DVD to view on my domestic DVD player.

>TMPGenc plus can do the job.. if not... it's something with your avi file...
>you could try virtualdub to re-encode it and then try tmpgenc again..

Cheers, I'll try that next.

Mike

"Nick Legrand" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"HiHoSilverLining" <nospam@****off.com> wrote
>> "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>> > I have six AVI files which I downloaded from the net. I have
>> > tried:
>> >
>> > DVD2SVCD
>> > CCE SP
>> > TMPGenc
>> >
>> > Nothing seems to like these avi files and I'm a complete newbie.
>> > GSpot gives the following information...

>> > The six files weigh in at just over 1 gig, so ideally I want to
>> > burn them to a DVD to view on my domestic DVD player.

>> I've found a lot of avi files that TMPGenc can't use, i think's it's due to
>> them being dv2 instead of dv1 (although I'm not even sure what that means!),
>> i can convert them ok using nero vision express or eo video (free trial
>> available for download), or windows movie maker will convert them into .wmv
>> or avi files that tmpgenc can then use.

>yeah like I said.. if they use a strange codec or so....
>divx would be good for tmpenc

I have divx v5.1 and the player v2.5.
How does that work then?

Cheers.

Mike

I wrote:

>"Nick Legrand" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I have six AVI files which I downloaded from the net. I have
>>> tried:

>>> TMPGenc
>>>
>>> Nothing seems to like these avi files and I'm a complete newbie.
>>> GSpot gives the following information...

>>> The six files weigh in at just over 1 gig, so ideally I want to
>>> burn them to a DVD to view on my domestic DVD player.

>>TMPGenc plus can do the job.. if not... it's something with your avi file...
>>you could try virtualdub to re-encode it and then try tmpgenc again..

>Cheers, I'll try that next.

Tried VirtualDub 1.5.10 and it says..

"Can't locate decompressor for video format MP42"

/me googles for new decompressor.

Billy Joe

Mike wrote:
> "HiHoSilverLining" <nospam@****off.com> wrote:
>
>> "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I have six AVI files which I downloaded from the net. I have
>>> tried:
>>>
>>> DVD2SVCD
>>> CCE SP
>>> TMPGenc

> <details>
>
>>> The six files weigh in at just over 1 gig, so ideally I
>>> want to
>>> burn them to a DVD to view on my domestic DVD player.

>> I've found a lot of avi files that TMPGenc can't use, i
>> think's it's due to them being dv2 instead of dv1 (although
>> I'm not even sure what that means!), i can convert them ok
>> using nero vision express or eo video (free trial available
>> for download), or windows movie maker will convert them into
>> .wmv or avi files that tmpgenc can then use.

> Erk.. One file is going to take over seven hours to save, so
> that's almost four days for all six AVI's..

Your planet apparently revolves much faster than ours?

You're going to be VERY disappointed with these conversions, unless
you're going to play them on your wrist watch. Have you at least
viewed them on your PC?

BJ

Robin Banks

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 15:30:19 +0100, Mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Tried VirtualDub 1.5.10 and it says..
> "Can't locate decompressor for video format MP42"

This might or might not work for you. I've had this happen just like you
describe. I found a program called "FourCC Changer" (sorry, can't remember
the URL at the moment) and changed the file to XVid or Divx, and then some
programs will deal with it. Sometimes no. It's worth a shot though.

I'm still learning, so I can't explain the ins and outs of the program. All I
know it that it's saved me at times. You might try it. Google will find it
for you, I'm sure.

~~R.Banks