Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Madacy Sherlock Holmes "Collector's Edition" DVD boxed set

Reply
Thread Tools

Madacy Sherlock Holmes "Collector's Edition" DVD boxed set

 
 
Doonie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-14-2004
Bought this Wednesday from Costco. It has 5 discs with 20 episodes
total.
Does anyone know of a review of this set that talks about picture
quality (I can't find one using the regular channels - Google, major
review sites, etc. )or does anyone have it who can tell me first hand?
I want to keep it unopened and return it, if it's crap.
Thanks either way.

--
http://www.loudnessrace.net
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Michael Rogers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-14-2004
When it's Madacy, it's a gamble. i've gotten DVD's from them that really
sucked and some that were okay.

Mike

Doonie wrote:
>
> Bought this Wednesday from Costco. It has 5 discs with 20 episodes
> total.
> Does anyone know of a review of this set that talks about picture
> quality (I can't find one using the regular channels - Google, major
> review sites, etc. )or does anyone have it who can tell me first hand?
> I want to keep it unopened and return it, if it's crap.
> Thanks either way.
>
> --
> http://www.loudnessrace.net

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dick Sidbury
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-14-2004
Michael Rogers wrote:

> When it's Madacy, it's a gamble. i've gotten DVD's from them that really
> sucked and some that were okay.
>


I've never gotten one that's OK. Could you list a few?

thanks

dick
 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael Rogers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2004
Charade is decent (but not anamorphic)the Drive In DVD's are hit or
miss. The quality is always below what you would normally expect from a
major studio but they still can be decent.

Mike

Dick Sidbury wrote:
>
> Michael Rogers wrote:
>
> > When it's Madacy, it's a gamble. i've gotten DVD's from them that really
> > sucked and some that were okay.
> >

>
> I've never gotten one that's OK. Could you list a few?
>
> thanks
>
> dick

 
Reply With Quote
 
karlpov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2004
On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 01:08:14 GMT, Doonie
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Bought this Wednesday from Costco. It has 5 discs with 20 episodes
>total.
> Does anyone know of a review of this set that talks about picture
>quality (I can't find one using the regular channels - Google, major
>review sites, etc. )or does anyone have it who can tell me first hand?
>I want to keep it unopened and return it, if it's crap.
> Thanks either way.


I didn't find Madacy's earlier release of this series (two discs --
all of the episodes on them are again included on this newer set,
which I haven't yet bought) viewable, but then I don't have high
expectations for TV shows half a century old. What the hell do you
expect? I enjoy Archie Duncan as Lestrade more than I do the two
stars. With more hair, he played Little John in the Richard Greene
Robin Hood series as well.

Maybe I've been lucky, but the only wholly intolerable Madacy I've
gotten was the ancient The Front Page with Adolf Menjou. I'm sure
there are better transfers available of His Girl Friday and And Then
There Were None, for instance, but I was able to enjoy Madacy's.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Doonie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2004
On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 03:11:43 GMT, karlpov wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 01:08:14 GMT, Doonie wrote:
>
>> Bought this Wednesday from Costco. It has 5 discs with 20 episodes
>>total.
>> Does anyone know of a review of this set that talks about picture
>>quality (I can't find one using the regular channels - Google, major
>>review sites, etc. )or does anyone have it who can tell me first hand?
>>I want to keep it unopened and return it, if it's crap.

>
>I didn't find Madacy's earlier release of this series (two discs --
>all of the episodes on them are again included on this newer set,
>which I haven't yet bought) viewable, but then I don't have high
>expectations for TV shows half a century old. What the hell do you
>expect?


Viewable would be good. I guess I couldn't expect a restoration
job for the low price this set was going for.

--
http://www.loudnessrace.net
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DVD Verdict reviews: THE MEMOIRS OF SHERLOCK HOLMES and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 10-26-2004 09:12 AM
DVD Verdict reviews: THE CASE-BOOK OF SHERLOCK HOLMES and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 10-20-2004 09:08 AM
New Granada/Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes DVD releases anthony DVD Video 11 11-02-2003 07:32 PM
Sherlock Holmes DVD question James Poll DVD Video 22 09-26-2003 03:41 PM
Re: Another "Sherlock Holmes Collection" karlpov DVD Video 0 09-03-2003 05:46 AM



Advertisments