Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Corrupted Closed-Captioning Indicate Possible Disc Failure?

Corrupted Closed-Captioning Indicate Possible Disc Failure?

Confessor

I have a copy of the CSI Season 3 DVD collection (Region 1), and I watch it
with closed captioning enabled, as the dynamic range is a bit difficult to
accomadate in my current living situation.

On the sixth disc, I noticed that the closed captions were very often
corrupted, with wrong characters, obviously wrong positioning, and other
anomalies.

There were no video/audio stutters, or any other indication of a disc
defect. The reflective coating had no visible scratches.

When I opened the package, the disc in question was seated in its proper
position, but the 'locking' mechanism held it much less securely than any
of the other discs.

Are the corrupted closed captions more likely to be associated with a
damaged disc or a defective decoder?

Stan Brown

"Confessor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>Are the corrupted closed captions more likely to be associated with a
>damaged disc or a defective decoder?

It could be bad authoring.

One of my cable channels routinely has corrupted closed captions --
the others are all fine.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
"You want an intelligent conversation? Do what I do: talk to
yourself. It's the only way." -- /Torch Song Trilogy/