Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Advanced: create combo SVCD (or MPEG4) and PictureCD?

Advanced: create combo SVCD (or MPEG4) and PictureCD?

TowXWang@umich.edu

[Please follow up to "alt.video.dvd" only, thanks.]

Hello.

I want to create a super multimedia CD containing video clips and
pictures, and have questions about arranging the contents and directory
structures. I intend to distribute this to friends and family; not all of
them are technically inclined.

1) I have yet to decide whether to make the video content in SVCD or XVID
format. VideoHelp.com indicates that 78% of DVD players tested there can
handle SVCD. Does anybody have an opinion as to whether SVCD is a
practical format, likely to be playable by stand-alone players? Most
players owned by my intended audience were manufactured in the late 1990s.

2) If the answer to 1 is "no", then I may as well make the video in XVID
format; better quality or more content in the same amount of storage
space. Question is, do the few stand-alone players out there (Kiss,
Philips) that play MPEG4 require any special directory structure? Do I
generate AVI files and save them into any directory I choose? Do those
stand-alone players let you navigate directories in an ISO file system?

3) Do those MPEG4 stand-alone players play AVI files containing XVID
generated content? I know how to use VirtualDub, AVIMux, DVD2SVCD and
associated tools; if there are any special settings I need to make, I'd
really appreciate some foresight!

4) I also want to throw a bunch of pictures into the remaining space of
those CDs, and if possible, I'd like to arrange the file system so that
those pictures are viewable using stand-alone "photo to TV players". Is
this a standard called "Kodak PictureCD", and is it true that the images
are simply in JPEG format? Where can I get information or specs about
this, such as naming conventions for directories, maximum resolution and
color depth for the images, etc.?

5) I understand that storing images in JPEG format is better than in
VCD/DVD still image format, because the former has higher resolution and
can potentially save disk space depending on compression settings. Is this
correct?

Thanks for all input!

Tow

If you see a 'X' in my address, please remove it before e-mailing me.
Do not add me to any MicroSoft address book; let's stop the viruses.
Do not send me unsolicited mail. I track and report spammers.

The FAQ files v1.21 for the Tropez, and v1.01 for the TBS-2001 sound
boards can be obtained from:
http://www.landfield.com/faqs/PCsoundcards/
http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~mccreary/tbeach/faq.html
http://www.pasteur.fr/infosci/FAQ/PCsoundcards/
http://faqs.org/faqs/by-newsgroup/co...card.misc.html

TowXWang@umich.edu

[Please follow up to "alt.video.dvd" only, sorry for the cross-posting.]

[...]

goPostal

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3X9Uc.79$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [Please follow up to "alt.video.dvd" only, sorry for the cross-posting.]
>
> Hello.
>
> I want to create a super multimedia CD containing video clips and
> pictures, and have questions about arranging the contents and directory
> structures. I intend to distribute this to friends and family; not all of
> them are technically inclined.
>
> 1) I have yet to decide whether to make the video content in SVCD or XVID
> format. VideoHelp.com indicates that 78% of DVD players tested there can
> handle SVCD. Does anybody have an opinion as to whether SVCD is a
> practical format, likely to be playable by stand-alone players? Most
> players owned by my intended audience were manufactured in the late 1990s.
>
> 2) If the answer to 1 is "no", then I may as well make the video in XVID
> format; better quality or more content in the same amount of storage
> space. Question is, do the few stand-alone players out there (Kiss,
> Philips) that play MPEG4 require any special directory structure? Do I
> generate AVI files and save them into any directory I choose? Do those
> stand-alone players let you navigate directories in an ISO file system?
>
> 3) Do those MPEG4 stand-alone players play AVI files containing XVID
> generated content? I know how to use VirtualDub, AVIMux, DVD2SVCD and
> associated tools; if there are any special settings I need to make, I'd
> really appreciate some foresight!
>
> 4) I also want to throw a bunch of pictures into the remaining space of
> those CDs, and if possible, I'd like to arrange the file system so that
> those pictures are viewable using stand-alone "photo to TV players". Is
> this a standard called "Kodak PictureCD", and is it true that the images
> are simply in JPEG format? Where can I get information or specs about
> this, such as naming conventions for directories, maximum resolution and
> color depth for the images, etc.?
>
> 5) I understand that storing images in JPEG format is better than in
> VCD/DVD still image format, because the former has higher resolution and
> can potentially save disk space depending on compression settings. Is this
> correct?
>
> Thanks for all input!
>
> Tow

You afraid of Google, or should we just do it all for you?

Billy Joe

> [Please follow up to "alt.video.dvd" only, sorry for the
> cross-posting.]
>
> Hello.
>
> I want to create a super multimedia CD containing video clips
> and
> pictures, and have questions about arranging the contents and
> directory structures. I intend to distribute this to friends
> and family; not all of
> them are technically inclined.
>
> 1) I have yet to decide whether to make the video content in
> SVCD or XVID format. VideoHelp.com indicates that 78% of DVD
> players tested there can handle SVCD. Does anybody have an
> opinion as to whether SVCD is a
> practical format, likely to be playable by stand-alone
> players? Most
> players owned by my intended audience were manufactured in
> the late 1990s.

Your friends and rels could well be 100% in the 22%!! I know far more
people whose players can not handle SVCD than can.

> 2) If the answer to 1 is "no", then I may as well make the
> video in XVID format; better quality or more content in the
> same amount of storage
> space. Question is, do the few stand-alone players out there
> (Kiss,
> Philips) that play MPEG4 require any special directory
> structure? Do I generate AVI files and save them into any
> directory I choose? Do those stand-alone players let you
> navigate directories in an ISO file system?

Well, first, there are even fewer players equipped thus. However, the
price is becoming so reasonable and the features so desirable, that
your project could encourage others to take the plunge!!

I can speak for the Philips DVP642/37 and the LiteOn 2001 v302, yes
both support folder navigation.

Caveat: They both also seem to be aware of everything that's in all
folders at start up. The Philips hangs when file extensions it does
not recognize are contained. I only come to this conclusion because,
when testing subtitles on both units, I had both SUB & SRT types in
some folders. Both players only support SRT types. The Philips hung,
the LiteOn ignored them. Presenting the Philips with folders
containing only AVI & SRT files, it worked properly.

> 3) Do those MPEG4 stand-alone players play AVI files
> containing XVID
> generated content? I know how to use VirtualDub, AVIMux,
> DVD2SVCD and associated tools; if there are any special
> settings I need to make, I'd
> really appreciate some foresight!

Yes to XVID - tho their support seems DIVX oriented (perhaps because
they have paid a license fee for it?) Still, there are some
weaknesses in both players for some DIVX 3.11 encodings. Both also
support AC3 audio in XVID/DIVX AVI files.

As far as special settings go, the Philips does not handle
deinterlaced video as well as the LiteOn, otherwise they're
indistinguishable except for the way they fail on some (not
necessarily the same) 3.11 or XVID files. The fault is not in the
file's video encoding, as a file which fails on one plays on the other
and vice versa. The failures seem more prevalent at lower a/v bit
rates, but my sample is too small to be certain.

> 4) I also want to throw a bunch of pictures into the
> remaining space of
> those CDs, and if possible, I'd like to arrange the file
> system so that
> those pictures are viewable using stand-alone "photo to TV
> players".

No idea if this will work, as now we'd need to know if these devices
ignore unrecognized file structures?

> Is
> this a standard called "Kodak PictureCD", and is it true that
> the images
> are simply in JPEG format? Where can I get information or
> specs about
> this, such as naming conventions for directories, maximum
> resolution and
> color depth for the images, etc.?

JPEG still pictures display quite well from both these players.
Although I've not tried picture/music combos, I believe one or the
other or both may now support this? The LiteOn certainly did not in
prior firmware releases.

Also, I've not yet loaded a disc containing all supported file types
using the latest firmware, but I suspect this would not be a problem.
For example, in earlier releases of firmware, the LiteOn happily
switched between AVIs in one folder and MP3s in another.

> 5) I understand that storing images in JPEG format is better
> than in
> VCD/DVD still image format, because the former has higher
> resolution and
> can potentially save disk space depending on compression
> settings. Is this correct?

Yes! Pictures larger than TV screen size are scaled properly. So
there is an added advantage that you don't need to scale to the least
common denominator.

BJ

Sheppy

The best format would be DVD, and this would easily support all of the
features your asking for, as to the SVCD - that would be harder to do, if
you create the disc the file would only be playable on PC's, you can also
include the codec for playing back the file on the disc too.

ASFAIK SVCD's rarely allow multiple menus, only one menu item is normally
allowed; and the simplest and easiest program to do what your after would be
Ulead VideoStudio or MovieFactory.

DVD Burners & discs are cheap now - so that's a better option.

> I want to create a super multimedia CD containing video clips and
> pictures, and have questions about arranging the contents and directory
> structures. I intend to distribute this to friends and family; not all of
> them are technically inclined.
>
> 1) I have yet to decide whether to make the video content in SVCD or XVID
> format. VideoHelp.com indicates that 78% of DVD players tested there can
> handle SVCD. Does anybody have an opinion as to whether SVCD is a
> practical format, likely to be playable by stand-alone players? Most
> players owned by my intended audience were manufactured in the late 1990s.
>
> 2) If the answer to 1 is "no", then I may as well make the video in XVID
> format; better quality or more content in the same amount of storage
> space. Question is, do the few stand-alone players out there (Kiss,
> Philips) that play MPEG4 require any special directory structure? Do I
> generate AVI files and save them into any directory I choose? Do those
> stand-alone players let you navigate directories in an ISO file system?
>
> 3) Do those MPEG4 stand-alone players play AVI files containing XVID
> generated content? I know how to use VirtualDub, AVIMux, DVD2SVCD and
> associated tools; if there are any special settings I need to make, I'd
> really appreciate some foresight!
>
> 4) I also want to throw a bunch of pictures into the remaining space of
> those CDs, and if possible, I'd like to arrange the file system so that
> those pictures are viewable using stand-alone "photo to TV players". Is
> this a standard called "Kodak PictureCD", and is it true that the images
> are simply in JPEG format? Where can I get information or specs about
> this, such as naming conventions for directories, maximum resolution and
> color depth for the images, etc.?
>
> 5) I understand that storing images in JPEG format is better than in
> VCD/DVD still image format, because the former has higher resolution and
> can potentially save disk space depending on compression settings. Is this
> correct?
>
> Thanks for all input!

francisco dania

you must see this guide, you could use a mini DVD and this would be
compatible with all DVD players

http://www.dvd-guides.com/guides.php...p&name=minidvd