Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Laurel and Hardy "Flying Deuces" Problem?

Laurel and Hardy "Flying Deuces" Problem?

Robert Kass

Just got Kino's restored "Flying Deuces". To my ears something sounds very
"off" with the soundtrack. I watch Laurel and Hardy movies frequently and on
this disc their voices sound too highly pitched, as if the film were being
shown at a slightly faster speed than normal. I wrote to Kino but got a
terse reply that if I thought there was a defect with the disc I should
return it. Did anyone else notice a problem with the sound?

Bill Coleman

It was from a European master and has PAL speedup.
It's still apparently a much better print than any
other circulating on DVD. I have a number of European
Kinowelt European DVDs, and the slight speedup does not
bother me, though I know some people are more sensitive
to it. At any rate, it is not a defective disc, that was
the way it was mastered.

Bill Coleman

===============================

Robert Kass wrote:
> Just got Kino's restored "Flying Deuces". To my ears something sounds very
> "off" with the soundtrack. I watch Laurel and Hardy movies frequently and on
> this disc their voices sound too highly pitched, as if the film were being
> shown at a slightly faster speed than normal. I wrote to Kino but got a
> terse reply that if I thought there was a defect with the disc I should
> return it. Did anyone else notice a problem with the sound?

Bernie Woodham

"Bill Coleman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> It was from a European master and has PAL speedup.
> It's still apparently a much better print than any
> other circulating on DVD. I have a number of European
> Kinowelt European DVDs, and the slight speedup does not
> bother me, though I know some people are more sensitive
> to it. At any rate, it is not a defective disc, that was
> the way it was mastered.

Hello. I know the issue about the Pal speedup, and I believe Kino just used
the European work as it was released on dvd. But why could'nt they
(assuming they acquired the rights), have just gone back to the original
film elements? surely European films are 24fps just like the U.S. standard,
correct? Or are there other issues?

Bill Coleman

Apparently it's too expensive on this limited audience items....

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...ing.google.com

Bernie Woodham wrote:
> "Bill Coleman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>It was from a European master and has PAL speedup.
>>It's still apparently a much better print than any
>>other circulating on DVD. I have a number of European
>>Kinowelt European DVDs, and the slight speedup does not
>>bother me, though I know some people are more sensitive
>>to it. At any rate, it is not a defective disc, that was
>>the way it was mastered.
>>

> Hello. I know the issue about the Pal speedup, and I believe Kino just used
> the European work as it was released on dvd. But why could'nt they
> (assuming they acquired the rights), have just gone back to the original
> film elements? surely European films are 24fps just like the U.S. standard,
> correct? Or are there other issues?

drsd2kill

Perhaps the restoration was done on video, so they had to use the PAL source.
Many other companies have had to do likewise when the "restoration" is only
done on video and not on film so as to facilitate a new transfer.