Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Criterion never fails to impress me

Reply
Thread Tools

Criterion never fails to impress me

 
 
Vlvetmorning98
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-07-2004
perfect timing, too

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=258

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=257
(one of their best laserdiscs finally comes to DVD)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Douglas Bailey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-07-2004
Vlvetmorning98 wrote:
> http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=258
> http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=257
> (one of their best laserdiscs finally comes to DVD)


Yeah, I'd been hoping for a while that these two would make it to DVD as
Criterion releases. Two more for the pre-order list...

doug

--
"All these things we'll one day swallow whole..."
--Radiohead
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Langly@webtv.net
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-07-2004

perfect timing, too
http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=258
http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=257 (one of their best
laserdiscs finally comes to DVD)

I only have a few of their dvd's (Carnival of Souls,The Seventh Seal,The
Harder They Come) but was impressed with every one of em. I'm just glad
they stepped up to the plate and gave Richard Linklater's "Slacker" the
deluxe treatment,I've been waiting for someone to finally get around to
it...

 
Reply With Quote
 
jayembee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-07-2004
Douglas Bailey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Vlvetmorning98 wrote:
>> http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=258
>> http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=257
>> (one of their best laserdiscs finally comes to DVD)

>
> Yeah, I'd been hoping for a while that these two would
> make it to DVD as Criterion releases. Two more for the
> pre-order list...


It doesn't surprise me that they would maximize interest
in these titles by releasing them during election season.
I wonder if they'll manage to get the rights to the TANNER
sequel, or if someone else has already nabbed them.

-- jayembee
 
Reply With Quote
 
Grand Inquisitor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-07-2004
Vlvetmorning98 wrote:
> perfect timing, too
>
> http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=258
>
> http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=257
> (one of their best laserdiscs finally comes to DVD)


Another politically motivated choice from Criterion, taking away
precious distribution rights money and restoration funds from far more
deserving movies.

--

"One must conclude that, contrary to the established and current wisdom,
a scenario describing the genesis of life on earth by chance and natural
causes which can be accepted on the basis of fact and not faith, has not
yet been written."

--Hubert P. Yockey, Journal of Theoretical Biology
 
Reply With Quote
 
Vlvetmorning98
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-07-2004
>Another politically motivated choice from Criterion, taking away
>precious distribution rights money and restoration funds from far more
>deserving movies.
>


that's absurd. SECRET HONOR is one of Altman's best films, and one of the best
films of the 80's. And since HBO was too lazy to release TANNER, I'm glad that
Criterion has picked it up.
 
Reply With Quote
 
jayembee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-07-2004
Grand Inquisitor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Another politically motivated choice from Criterion,


Oh, please. There's probably far economic motivation ("'Tis
the season," as the saying goes) than political.

> taking away precious distribution rights money and
> restoration funds from far more deserving movies.


In other words, you're ****ed off because they're wasting
precious resources on films you don't happen to like.

I respect Criterion's choices, even when I don't like them
Apparently, you can't do the same.

-- jayembee
 
Reply With Quote
 
Grand Inquisitor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-07-2004
jayembee wrote:
> In other words, you're ****ed off because they're wasting
> precious resources on films you don't happen to like.
>


I just wish they would stick to good movies rather than
politically-motivated choices. Nobody in their right mind (key phrase
there) actuallys likes all that Warhol crap, or I Am Curious Yellow, etc.

> I respect Criterion's choices, even when I don't like them
> Apparently, you can't do the same.


Tell me, do you respect The Rock; Armageddon; Robocop; Bodies, Rest, and
Motion; and Chasing Amy?

--

"One must conclude that, contrary to the established and current wisdom,
a scenario describing the genesis of life on earth by chance and natural
causes which can be accepted on the basis of fact and not faith, has not
yet been written."

--Hubert P. Yockey, Journal of Theoretical Biology
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Kohary
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2004
Grand Inquisitor wrote:
> jayembee wrote:
>> In other words, you're ****ed off because they're wasting
>> precious resources on films you don't happen to like.

>
> I just wish they would stick to good movies rather than
> politically-motivated choices. Nobody in their right mind (key phrase
> there) actuallys likes all that Warhol crap, or I Am Curious Yellow,
> etc.


All of which have nothing to do with anything. We're talking about 2 of
Altman's best movies, certainly deserving of the Criterion treatment. That
they would market during the election, that's just good business, not
"politics".

Mike


 
Reply With Quote
 
Frank Malczewski
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2004
Grand Inquisitor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> jayembee wrote:
> >
> > I respect Criterion's choices, even when I don't like them
> > Apparently, you can't do the same.

>
> Tell me, do you respect The Rock; Armageddon; Robocop; Bodies, Rest, and
> Motion; and Chasing Amy?


I do, I do. But then again, I am somewhat more open-minded than a lot
of people on this newsgroup, who feel they have to pick apart every
little thing.

Now where's that kill file... I know you were in it before...
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OpenOffice Impress problem Christopher Jahn Computer Support 3 11-27-2007 04:39 PM
Last Day! DTS Criterion DAZED & CONFUSED dvd, Ltbx THE SHADOW DTS LD, Criterion BOOGIE NIGHTS ld J Rusnak DVD Video 0 01-02-2007 11:30 PM
XML Schema never-never occurence of declared elements / attributes Soren Kuula XML 1 12-01-2005 01:27 PM
OpenOffice Products-Writer,Calc,Impress,Draw Sharon Russell Computer Support 8 09-06-2004 04:56 AM
string routines go to never never land on unix Kevin C Programming 4 10-17-2003 06:07 PM



Advertisments