Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Question - Star Trek movie box sets

Question - Star Trek movie box sets

Fire3Sky

I am collecting the Star Trek series on DVD - I have not bought the movies yet.
I have seen boxed sets of the movies where they have just taken the regular
DVDs of the movies and packaged them in a cardboard box.

Are there any plans to repackage the TOS movies so the box set of movies will
match the TV season boxed sets being released, or to repackage the TNG movies
to match the silver boxes the season sets come in?

Fire3Sky

jayembee

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Fire3Sky) wrote:

> I am collecting the Star Trek series on DVD - I have not
> bought the movies yet. I have seen boxed sets of the movies
> where they have just taken the regular DVDs of the movies
> and packaged them in a cardboard box.
>
> Are there any plans to repackage the TOS movies so the box
> set of movies will match the TV season boxed sets being
> released, or to repackage the TNG movies to match the silver
> boxes the season sets come in?

I suppose it's possible, when Paramount runs out of other
ways to resell the same material over and over. But they
appear to think of the movies as movies and the TV series
as TV series, and never the twain shall meet, so I wouldn't
count on them doing what you suggest.

If you want the movies, just buy them as is. But you're
better off buying them individually, as the boxed sets are
mixed collections of the old releases and newer Special Eds.

-- jayembee

SRT

"Fire3Sky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am collecting the Star Trek series on DVD - I have not bought the movies

yet.
> I have seen boxed sets of the movies where they have just taken the

regular
> DVDs of the movies and packaged them in a cardboard box.
>
> Are there any plans to repackage the TOS movies so the box set of movies

will
> match the TV season boxed sets being released, or to repackage the TNG

movies
> to match the silver boxes the season sets come in?
>
> Fire3Sky

Sure, there is probably a chance of that happening. Its already been proven
that the movie/media companies will try to resell the
same thing a thousand times over if they believe there is a chance for one
more dime to be made. But my question is why does it matter how they are
packaged? I mean really . . . Star Trek is one of the most, if not THE
MOST, ridiculously overpriced DVD
products on the market and you are worried about matching packaging.

srt

Mark Jones

"SRT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zb6Rc.4477$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> I mean really . . . Star Trek is one of the most, if not THE
> MOST, ridiculously overpriced DVD
> products on the market and you are worried about matching packaging.

I have a lot of DVDs and have purchased the Star Trek movies.
The Star Trek series DVDs are way overpriced compared to
other TV series. If each season was in the $55 to $70 range,
I would buy them. Instead they are priced at over $100.

There are 7 seasons of Star Trek the Next Generation so it
would cost almost $800 to buy this complete set. They are
crazy if they think this is going to happen.

Michael Rogers

Not so much for the special editions of the movies(I got the 2 disc Trek
6 for 12.99) but it's definataly true for the season sets of the series.

They are way overpriced compared to other hour show season sets. I have
all of ST:TNG and up to season 5 of DS9 but will get the rest of DS9 and
Voyager (which I do want but not enough to pay Paramounts price) when I
stumble on good priced second hand stuff. the exception is the original
Trek which i will be getting as soon as they come out(for the best price
I can find).

But Paramount really is the pits.

> Sure, there is probably a chance of that happening. Its already been proven
> that the movie/media companies will try to resell the
> same thing a thousand times over if they believe there is a chance for one
> more dime to be made. But my question is why does it matter how they are
> packaged? I mean really . . . Star Trek is one of the most, if not THE
> MOST, ridiculously overpriced DVD
> products on the market and you are worried about matching packaging.
>
> srt

Waterperson77

>They are way overpriced compared to other hour show season sets.

They are way overpriced on everything compared to other companies '(except
maybe Disney's)

Paramount is also way overpriced on their half hour sitcoms compared to other
companies half-hour sitcoms, not just the hour dramas.

To put it bluntly, both Disney and Paramount are way too greedy and overpriced.