Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > playback of 2 dvds

playback of 2 dvds

Jim

I just played 2 dvds one right after the other on a laptop and noticed
that the first dvd played almost flawlessly without a stutter. But
when I played the 2nd dvd (unrelated to the first in content and
recording) it stutters a lot. I checked the 2nd dvd to make sure it
was clean.

Does recording dvds by different programs matter when played back ? I
know the laptop is a celeron and I know it's not as good as a P4 but
since one dvd played well, I would have thought the other would play
as well? If it matters, the 2nd dvd was purchased from a guy selling
his recording of a performance while the first dvd was purchased at a
store. I don't know what program the first nor 2nd dvd was recorded
with to put it on dvd.

NeoRenegade

Jim wrote:

> I just played 2 dvds one right after the other on a laptop and noticed
> that the first dvd played almost flawlessly without a stutter. But
> when I played the 2nd dvd (unrelated to the first in content and
> recording) it stutters a lot. I checked the 2nd dvd to make sure it
> was clean.
>
> Does recording dvds by different programs matter when played back ? I
> know the laptop is a celeron and I know it's not as good as a P4 but
> since one dvd played well, I would have thought the other would play
> as well? If it matters, the 2nd dvd was purchased from a guy selling
> his recording of a performance while the first dvd was purchased at a
> store. I don't know what program the first nor 2nd dvd was recorded
> with to put it on dvd.

What a difference are the following:
1) The reliability of the disc used.
2) The reliability of the DVD writer used.
3) The performance of the playback hardware.

What happened is probably that either the disc is quite aged and has
developped possible read errors, and/or it wasn't burned very well to
begin with. Of course another possibility is that your laptop didn't
have enough free resources after playing the first DVD to reliably play
the second DVD.

- NR