Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Is it just me...

Is it just me...

Vlvetmorning98

or does it seem and an increasing number of films, even those with supposedly
bankable actors, are being sent directly to video? Look at "People I Know",
starring Al Pacino, "The Boondock Saints" (which has become an enormous
word-of-mouth hit), and "Hope Springs" with Colin Firth.

Joe McC

"Derek Janssen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4111476c$0$2841$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Vlvetmorning98 wrote:
>
> > or does it seem and an increasing number of films, even those with

supposedly
> > bankable actors, are being sent directly to video? Look at "People I

Know",
> > starring Al Pacino, "The Boondock Saints" (which has become an enormous
> > word-of-mouth hit), and "Hope Springs" with Colin Firth.

> Uh, Vlv--
>
> You started a question with "Is it just me...", and you *wondered* about
> what answer you'd get?

Seems to me the stigma of DTV HAS lessened as time's went by. I can
understand why studios might not want to throw a big advertising budget at a
hard-to-market movie, but it doesn't mean the film's a stinker. Having said
that, I reckon the 3 you've used to illustrate the argument are all deeply
flawed.

Boondock Saints........... there was HUGE word of mouth before it was made.
The screenplay was regarded as hot property, but the finished movie was seen
as irritating and badly translated onto film.

People I know was just seen as having a weak 3 act structure with no
centre.......nothing to catch the critics' attention. (Pacino's done that
before, with movies like And Justice For All, which got a VERY limited
cimema release in the UK.

Hope Springs - weakly written & a lesser imitation of the sort of romcom
that needs Hugh Grant to stand a chance.

Derek Janssen

Vlvetmorning98 wrote:

> or does it seem and an increasing number of films, even those with supposedly
> bankable actors, are being sent directly to video? Look at "People I Know",
> starring Al Pacino, "The Boondock Saints" (which has become an enormous
> word-of-mouth hit), and "Hope Springs" with Colin Firth.

Uh, Vlv--

You started a question with "Is it just me...", and you *wondered* about
what answer you'd get?

Derek Janssen (...I DON'T KNOW, IS IT???????)

Vlvetmorning98

>> Uh, Vlv--
>>
>> You started a question with "Is it just me...", and you *wondered* about
>> what answer you'd get?

was there ever been a time when you were not a prick to just about every person
on the 'net? Many of us here still remember how you chased away Norm, who knew
faar, far about DVD's than you, you pretentious prick?

jayembee

(E-Mail Removed) (Vlvetmorning9 wrote:

[to Derek Jensen]
> was there ever been a time when you were not a prick to
> just about every person on the 'net?

Well, I can't honestly say that I remember Derek being a
prick to me.

> Many of us here still remember how you chased away Norm,
> who knew faar, far about DVD's than you, you pretentious
> prick?

Unless I missed something, Norm wasn't "chased away" due
to any one person, but more of a general aura of negativity.
But if any one person could be blamed, I think most people
here would vote for Max.

-- jayembee

Douglas Bailey

jayembee wrote:
> Vlvetmorning98 wrote:
> [to Derek Jensen]
>> was there ever been a time when you were not a prick to just about every
>> person on the 'net?

> Well, I can't honestly say that I remember Derek being a prick to me.

Neither can I. (Uh, being a prick to *me*, that is, though I can't remember
him being one to you either.)

>> Many of us here still remember how you chased away Norm, who knew faar,
>> far about DVD's than you, you pretentious prick?

> Unless I missed something, Norm wasn't "chased away" due to any one
> person, but more of a general aura of negativity.

I didn't think Norm was "chased away" at all: I thought he got married and
had (understandably) better things to do with his spare time than hang out
here and answer questions. I could be wrong...

> But if any one person could be blamed, I think most people here would
> vote for Max.

....but I'm okay with blaming Max anyway, though.

doug

--
"If this is not an exercise, could it be a...?"
--Wire

Scott P

On 04 Aug 2004 20:20:54 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Vlvetmorning9
wrote:

>or does it seem and an increasing number of films, even those with supposedly
>bankable actors, are being sent directly to video? Look at "People I Know",
>starring Al Pacino, "The Boondock Saints" (which has become an enormous
>word-of-mouth hit), and "Hope Springs" with Colin Firth.

People I Know was in theaters. It played only in the big cities
probably but it was in theaters.

Scott