Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Does Best Buy price match themselves?

Does Best Buy price match themselves?

Jeffman316

Last week, my local Best Buy put out a lot of things early.
They had Sliders S1/S2, Knight Rider S1 and Abbott and Costello
Volume 3. I bought the Knight Rider and A/C sets. I knew they
would probably be on sale this week, but I was going to be out
of town on Tuesday and they only had 2-3 sets of each.

When I get back in town at the end of the week, should I try
and make them match the new sale price for this week?

Anyone have luck with that?
Jeff

Biz

"Jeffman316" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns95385EF82D362slapnutsrulehotmailc@216.196. 97.142...
> Last week, my local Best Buy put out a lot of things early.
> They had Sliders S1/S2, Knight Rider S1 and Abbott and Costello
> Volume 3. I bought the Knight Rider and A/C sets. I knew they
> would probably be on sale this week, but I was going to be out
> of town on Tuesday and they only had 2-3 sets of each.
>
> When I get back in town at the end of the week, should I try
> and make them match the new sale price for this week?
>
> Anyone have luck with that?
> Jeff

Thats not price-matching, you're thinking of a price guarantee, where if you
find it cheaper within so many days you are eligible to get that sale price.
Price matching is when you go in and say store X has this at price Y, will
you sell it to me at price Y?

Morgan

I know Fry's Electronics will refund you the difference if they run the item
you bought on sale within 30 days of your purchase. I bought a DVD there
once that they ran for $8 cheaper two days later, so I brought in my receipt
and they gave me the difference--no questions asked, and I was in and out
within minutes (which is a friggin' miracle for Fry's). Go to Best Buy with
your receipt and ask, if Fry's does it Best Buy should.

Morgan

"Jeffman316" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns95385EF82D362slapnutsrulehotmailc@216.196. 97.142...
> Last week, my local Best Buy put out a lot of things early.
> They had Sliders S1/S2, Knight Rider S1 and Abbott and Costello
> Volume 3. I bought the Knight Rider and A/C sets. I knew they
> would probably be on sale this week, but I was going to be out
> of town on Tuesday and they only had 2-3 sets of each.
>
> When I get back in town at the end of the week, should I try
> and make them match the new sale price for this week?
>
> Anyone have luck with that?
> Jeff

Matt Woodard

Yes - they will do it . I bought the Elvis comeback special when it
came out - then the next week they had it on sale $15 cheaper. There
was no issue.

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 08:20:02 -0500, Jeffman316
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Last week, my local Best Buy put out a lot of things early.
>They had Sliders S1/S2, Knight Rider S1 and Abbott and Costello
>Volume 3. I bought the Knight Rider and A/C sets. I knew they
>would probably be on sale this week, but I was going to be out
>of town on Tuesday and they only had 2-3 sets of each.
>
>When I get back in town at the end of the week, should I try
>and make them match the new sale price for this week?
>
>Anyone have luck with that?
>Jeff

Aaron J. Bossig

"Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I know Fry's Electronics will refund you the difference if they run
> the item you bought on sale within 30 days of your purchase. I bought
> a DVD there once that they ran for $8 cheaper two days later, so I
> brought in my receipt and they gave me the difference--no questions
> asked, and I was in and out within minutes (which is a friggin'
> miracle for Fry's). Go to Best Buy with your receipt and ask, if
> Fry's does it Best Buy should.

Circuit City does this as well.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.Daily-Reviews.com

John Sayers

I work at a Borders, and when people try and return things in this manner
they instantly considered cheapskates/pains in the ass/undesirable
customers/assholes. We usually do the return and give the customer back his
few bucks, but just to keep the line moving and avoid embarrassing the rest
of the customers in line. Then we talk about the jerk for the rest of the
day - "could you believe the doo-dads on that guy?...."
"Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I know Fry's Electronics will refund you the difference if they run the

item
> you bought on sale within 30 days of your purchase. I bought a DVD there
> once that they ran for $8 cheaper two days later, so I brought in my

receipt
> and they gave me the difference--no questions asked, and I was in and out
> within minutes (which is a friggin' miracle for Fry's). Go to Best Buy

with
> your receipt and ask, if Fry's does it Best Buy should.
>
> Morgan
>

> "Jeffman316" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns95385EF82D362slapnutsrulehotmailc@216.196. 97.142...
> > Last week, my local Best Buy put out a lot of things early.
> > They had Sliders S1/S2, Knight Rider S1 and Abbott and Costello
> > Volume 3. I bought the Knight Rider and A/C sets. I knew they
> > would probably be on sale this week, but I was going to be out
> > of town on Tuesday and they only had 2-3 sets of each.
> >
> > When I get back in town at the end of the week, should I try
> > and make them match the new sale price for this week?
> >
> > Anyone have luck with that?
> > Jeff

Mike Kohary

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 19:25:54 -0400, "John Sayers"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I work at a Borders, and when people try and return things in this manner
>they instantly considered cheapskates/pains in the ass/undesirable
>customers/assholes. We usually do the return and give the customer back his
>few bucks, but just to keep the line moving and avoid embarrassing the rest
>of the customers in line. Then we talk about the jerk for the rest of the
>day - "could you believe the doo-dads on that guy?...."

....all the while not realizing that it's you and your co-workers who
are the jerks, I'm sure. I'll remember this the next time I'm in a
Borders store. Did you not realize that by using their name and
identifying yourself as an employee, you represent them? Perhaps I
should forward your message along to company headquarters - think your
management will approve?

There is nothing wrong with the practice of sales price matching,
which nearly every major retail chain *offers*, and there's certainly
nothing "cheap" about saving a few hard-earned dollars whenever
possible.

Mike

JWB

"Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 19:25:54 -0400, "John Sayers"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I work at a Borders, and when people try and return things in this manner
> >they instantly considered cheapskates/pains in the ass/undesirable
> >customers/assholes. We usually do the return and give the customer back

his
> >few bucks, but just to keep the line moving and avoid embarrassing the

rest
> >of the customers in line. Then we talk about the jerk for the rest of the
> >day - "could you believe the doo-dads on that guy?...."

> ...all the while not realizing that it's you and your co-workers who
> are the jerks, I'm sure. I'll remember this the next time I'm in a
> Borders store. Did you not realize that by using their name and
> identifying yourself as an employee, you represent them? Perhaps I
> should forward your message along to company headquarters - think your
> management will approve?
>
> There is nothing wrong with the practice of sales price matching,
> which nearly every major retail chain *offers*, and there's certainly
> nothing "cheap" about saving a few hard-earned dollars whenever
> possible.

Very true.

I love these young retail guys who all think they are like Randal from
"Clerks". What register-boy doesn't realize is he's a name-tag wearing
schlep who's probably making a single-digit per hour salary to serve me.

Yea, bag that for me, willya?

Brian The Demolition Man Little

JWB wrote:
> Very true.
>
> I love these young retail guys who all think they are like Randal from
> "Clerks". What register-boy doesn't realize is he's a name-tag wearing
> schlep who's probably making a single-digit per hour salary to serve
> me.
>
> Yea, bag that for me, willya?

Why don't you go work in retail for six months if you are that
good? I wonder if you'll say that afterwards.

--
Brian The Demolition Man Little
TNAImpact.com Columnist & Message Board Mod

JWB

"Brian The Demolition Man Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> JWB wrote:
> > Very true.
> >
> > I love these young retail guys who all think they are like Randal from
> > "Clerks". What register-boy doesn't realize is he's a name-tag wearing
> > schlep who's probably making a single-digit per hour salary to serve
> > me.
> >
> > Yea, bag that for me, willya?

> Why don't you go work in retail for six months if you are that
> good? I wonder if you'll say that afterwards.

I did. Worked ten years in two different places. Went from clerk to store
manager to corporate buyer. Know the biz inside out. And belittling the
customers and treating them like the enemy is *not* how you do it
successfully. Some customers are unreasonable - that is true. But they are
easily dealt with.

Certainly you would agree that a customer coming in for a price-match does
not deserve the (silent) scorn the Borders employee gave him.

In my retail experiences, I have seen rude, lazy salespeople outnumber rude
customers ten-fold.