Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > connect a source unit with an S-Video connection to a receiving unit that has an RCA composite video connection ? worth it ?

connect a source unit with an S-Video connection to a receiving unit that has an RCA composite video connection ? worth it ?

OCZ Guy

Connect a source unit with an S-Video connection to a receiving unit
that has an RCA composite video connection Worth it.

My TV does not have svideo just RCA.

I would also need this cable ??
http://www.datapro.net/products/CSV-900A.html

And how long will this cobverter last ??, does it burn out after time
?

Would this be good as SVIDEO or worse or just better than RCA ?

Just like to know like to get tge best pictrure i can with my current
set up.

Thanks again.

HELLO NURSE.

Rich Clark

"OCZ Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Connect a source unit with an S-Video connection to a receiving unit
> that has an RCA composite video connection Worth it.
>
> My TV does not have svideo just RCA.
>

> I would also need this cable ??
> http://www.datapro.net/products/CSV-900A.html

No, as they point out, you don't need that. You need this:
http://www.datapro.net/products/1161.html

If you already have an s-video cable you just need the adapter.

The resulting picture will be composite. There's nothing you can do to
upgrate the TV itself. Still, if it's a DVD player you're talking about, you
get the best picture the TV is capable of.

RichC

OCZ Guy

So my DVD has Svideo, but my TV does not, that cable would make the
output Svideo picture quality good ?? or just better than RCA ?

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 11:43:06 -0400, "Rich Clark"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"OCZ Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Connect a source unit with an S-Video connection to a receiving unit
>> that has an RCA composite video connection Worth it.
>>
>> My TV does not have svideo just RCA.
>>

>> I would also need this cable ??
>> http://www.datapro.net/products/CSV-900A.html

>No, as they point out, you don't need that. You need this:
>http://www.datapro.net/products/1161.html
>
>If you already have an s-video cable you just need the adapter.
>
>The resulting picture will be composite. There's nothing you can do to
>upgrate the TV itself. Still, if it's a DVD player you're talking about, you
>get the best picture the TV is capable of.
>
>RichC

HELLO NURSE.

Biz

"OCZ Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Connect a source unit with an S-Video connection to a receiving unit
> that has an RCA composite video connection Worth it.
>
> My TV does not have svideo just RCA.
>

> I would also need this cable ??
> http://www.datapro.net/products/CSV-900A.html
>
> And how long will this cobverter last ??, does it burn out after time
> ?
>
> Would this be good as SVIDEO or worse or just better than RCA ?
>
> Just like to know like to get tge best pictrure i can with my current
> set up.

The picture quality is determined by the worst connection, so you get
composite RCA, just because it started out at S-Video, it ends up as
composite RCA, so thats what the quality will be.

luminos

"Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:B_QOc.159178$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "OCZ Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Connect a source unit with an S-Video connection to a receiving unit
> > that has an RCA composite video connection Worth it.
> >
> > My TV does not have svideo just RCA.
> >

> > I would also need this cable ??
> > http://www.datapro.net/products/CSV-900A.html
> >
> > And how long will this cobverter last ??, does it burn out after time
> > ?
> >
> > Would this be good as SVIDEO or worse or just better than RCA ?
> >
> > Just like to know like to get tge best pictrure i can with my current
> > set up.

> The picture quality is determined by the worst connection, so you get
> composite RCA, just because it started out at S-Video, it ends up as
> composite RCA, so thats what the quality will be.

I tried this with a Radio Shack adapter and the colors were way off...the
picture was worse than composite to composite.

Rich Clark

"OCZ Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> So my DVD has Svideo, but my TV does not, that cable would make the
> output Svideo picture quality good ?? or just better than RCA ?

No. "RCA" is just a kind of plug. The video signal is called "composite" --
all of the color and luminance information is combined into one signal.

Since that's what your TV has, that's what you'll see. The cable's purpose
is to combine the separate color and luminance signals coming from the
s-video output (that's what s-video is: luminance and color are kept
separate) into one signal that's a composite of both.

It's still a cheap way to use your existing TV, assuming the cable/adapter
is properly made and actually works.

RichC

Gary A. Edelstein

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 22:22:00 +1000, OCZ Guy <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Connect a source unit with an S-Video connection to a receiving unit
>that has an RCA composite video connection Worth it.
>
>My TV does not have svideo just RCA.
>

>I would also need this cable ??
>http://www.datapro.net/products/CSV-900A.html
>
>And how long will this cobverter last ??, does it burn out after time
>?
>
>Would this be good as SVIDEO or worse or just better than RCA ?
>
>Just like to know like to get tge best pictrure i can with my current
>set up.

From your other posts to this thread, you indicate it's a DVD player.
All the DVD players I've seen have composite vid outs, so simply use
that with a composite cable. You won't gain any quality going from
S-Vid to composite with a converter. Gary E
--
|Gary A. Edelstein
|(E-Mail Removed) (remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo