Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Hellboy Easter Egg & Oddities...

Hellboy Easter Egg & Oddities...

Jordan Lund

Picked up Hellboy last night (I know, I know, there's an extra special
version coming in October, but this one seemed fully featured enough
to justify it.)

First, the easter egg... Press up on the remote until "Introduction"
is highlighted then press up one more time. A hidden icon will
highlight. Pick it and you'll get a clip of Del Toro complaining about
the cue cards used for the introduction video. Pretty funny stuff...

Now the weird stuff...

On the commentary track both Del Toro and Mignola continually
reference themselves in the 3rd person. I found that strange...

In the special features there are a series of cartoons reccomended by
Hellboy. The weird part is that these were apparently done in the 50s
and not only had I never heard of them before, they are from UPA, a
studio I've never heard of before.

The style is the polar opposite of Hellboy, Gerald McBoing Boing is a
kid who can't speak in words but goes "BOING BOING!" instead. The art
style is similar to the classic "Harold and the Purple Crayon" and the
writing style is closest to Dr. Seuss.
The Tell Tale Heart is a wonderful bit of animation based, naturally,
on the Poe story.

Note to self: find out more about UPA animation...

I'd have more to report, but it was late and I fell asleep during the
commentary track. :^(

- Jordan

michael wheeler

"Jordan Lund" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Picked up Hellboy last night (I know, I know, there's an extra special
> version coming in October, but this one seemed fully featured enough
> to justify it.)
>
> First, the easter egg... Press up on the remote until "Introduction"
> is highlighted then press up one more time. A hidden icon will
> highlight. Pick it and you'll get a clip of Del Toro complaining about
> the cue cards used for the introduction video. Pretty funny stuff...
>
> Now the weird stuff...
>
> On the commentary track both Del Toro and Mignola continually
> reference themselves in the 3rd person. I found that strange...
>
> In the special features there are a series of cartoons reccomended by
> Hellboy. The weird part is that these were apparently done in the 50s
> and not only had I never heard of them before, they are from UPA, a
> studio I've never heard of before.
>
> The style is the polar opposite of Hellboy, Gerald McBoing Boing is a
> kid who can't speak in words but goes "BOING BOING!" instead. The art
> style is similar to the classic "Harold and the Purple Crayon" and the
> writing style is closest to Dr. Seuss.
> The Tell Tale Heart is a wonderful bit of animation based, naturally,
> on the Poe story.
>
> Note to self: find out more about UPA animation...
>
> I'd have more to report, but it was late and I fell asleep during the
> commentary track. :^(
>
> - Jordan

I found another easter egg. It consisted of a series of what looked like
index cards with quotes heard over the monitors during filming. But you
know what? I'll be damned if I can find them again to tell you where they
are. They were pretty damn funny. As is the one you discovered, thanks for
the info.

michael wheeler

"Derek Janssen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4107d808$0$2846$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jordan Lund wrote:
>
> > In the special features there are a series of cartoons reccomended by
> > Hellboy. The weird part is that these were apparently done in the 50s
> > and not only had I never heard of them before, they are from UPA, a
> > studio I've never heard of before.
> >
> > The style is the polar opposite of Hellboy, Gerald McBoing Boing is a
> > kid who can't speak in words but goes "BOING BOING!" instead. The art
> > style is similar to the classic "Harold and the Purple Crayon" and the
> > writing style is closest to Dr. Seuss.
> > The Tell Tale Heart is a wonderful bit of animation based, naturally,
> > on the Poe story.
> >
> > Note to self: find out more about UPA animation...

> Hoho, by George--Obviously not a Rutgers man!
>
> <taps cash register>
> Gad, this computer's been making strange noises again...
>
> Derek Janssen

And can someone tell me what the hell is that little fairy looking thing on
the set up menu? Scared the crap outta me

Derek Janssen

Jordan Lund wrote:

> In the special features there are a series of cartoons reccomended by
> Hellboy. The weird part is that these were apparently done in the 50s
> and not only had I never heard of them before, they are from UPA, a
> studio I've never heard of before.
>
> The style is the polar opposite of Hellboy, Gerald McBoing Boing is a
> kid who can't speak in words but goes "BOING BOING!" instead. The art
> style is similar to the classic "Harold and the Purple Crayon" and the
> writing style is closest to Dr. Seuss.
> The Tell Tale Heart is a wonderful bit of animation based, naturally,
> on the Poe story.
>
> Note to self: find out more about UPA animation...

Hoho, by George--Obviously not a Rutgers man!

<taps cash register>
Gad, this computer's been making strange noises again...

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

Douglas Bailey

Jordan Lund wrote:
> Picked up Hellboy last night.... [i]n the special features there are a
> series of cartoons reccomended by Hellboy. The weird part is that these
> were apparently done in the 50s and not only had I never heard of them
> before, they are from UPA, a studio I've never heard of before.

Sadly, I may have to pick up _Hellboy_ (a film in which I have pretty close
to no interest) just to get the cartoons: I've been hearing about Gerald
McBoing-Boing since I was a child, and this seems as good an opportunity as
any to see what I've been missing.

doug

--
"Don't stay in a sad place where they don't care how you are..."
--David Bowie

JMKAUFFMAN

>and the
>writing style is closest to Dr. Seuss

Check the credits--the original story *is* by Dr. Seuss!

Derek Janssen

Jordan Lund wrote:

> In the special features there are a series of cartoons reccomended by
> Hellboy. The weird part is that these were apparently done in the 50s
> and not only had I never heard of them before, they are from UPA, a
> studio I've never heard of before.
>
> The style is the polar opposite of Hellboy, Gerald McBoing Boing is a
> kid who can't speak in words but goes "BOING BOING!" instead. The art
> style is similar to the classic "Harold and the Purple Crayon" and the
> writing style is closest to Dr. Seuss.
> The Tell Tale Heart is a wonderful bit of animation based, naturally,
> on the Poe story.
>
> Note to self: find out more about UPA animation...

[Translated version:]
UPA's best known for giving Faith & John Hubley their start, but better
known for the Mr. Magoo series.
And del Toro mentioned in interviews he specifically slipped it into his
contract that the UPA cartoons be included, since--as fellow DVD fan--he
knew Sony was notoriously lax about getting the Columbia/UPA cartoons on
tape *or* disk (apart from "Magoo's Christmas Carol", obviously).

In an opening to one of the "classic" Mr. Magoo specials, Magoo parodies
the more award-winning UPA shorts--
As he's leading a "studio tour group" (a cat and three kittens), he
finds his way to the First Aid medicine cabinet:
"And here, as you can see, in this glass case, we keep the many Academy
Awards that UPA has won over the years:
(United Corn Plaster) Here's one for 'Unicorn in the Garden'...
(Tick-Tock Heart Tonic) And for 'Tell-Tale Heart'...
(General Bunion Remedy) And, of course, for 'Gerald McBoing-Boing'..."

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

Mike Kohary

Jordan Lund wrote:

> In the special features there are a series of cartoons reccomended by
> Hellboy. The weird part is that these were apparently done in the 50s
> and not only had I never heard of them before, they are from UPA, a
> studio I've never heard of before.
>
> The style is the polar opposite of Hellboy, Gerald McBoing Boing is a
> kid who can't speak in words but goes "BOING BOING!" instead. The art
> style is similar to the classic "Harold and the Purple Crayon" and the
> writing style is closest to Dr. Seuss.

Just to note, "Gerald McBoing Boing" was in fact written by Dr. Suess. It's
one of my kids' favorite books.

Mike

Rutgar

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 16:16:36 -0400, Douglas Bailey
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Jordan Lund wrote:
>> Picked up Hellboy last night.... [i]n the special features there are a
>> series of cartoons reccomended by Hellboy. The weird part is that these
>> were apparently done in the 50s and not only had I never heard of them
>> before, they are from UPA, a studio I've never heard of before.

>Sadly, I may have to pick up _Hellboy_ (a film in which I have pretty close
>to no interest) just to get the cartoons: I've been hearing about Gerald
>McBoing-Boing since I was a child, and this seems as good an opportunity as
>any to see what I've been missing.
>
>doug

Save your money. I wish I had. Just watched it last night.

What an awful movie.

- Rutgar

Jordan Lund

"michael wheeler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<KUSNc.885$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net>...

> I found another easter egg. It consisted of a series of what looked like
> index cards with quotes heard over the monitors during filming. But you
> know what? I'll be damned if I can find them again to tell you where they
> are. They were pretty damn funny. As is the one you discovered, thanks for
> the info.

That was hilarious, wasn't it? It's in the special features menu,
highlight main menu and press "Down" on the remote. The same little
icon that showed the easter egg on the first menu will highlight.

- Jordan