Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > "SIGH"....Best Buy Employees

"SIGH"....Best Buy Employees

Eric R.

Shinner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<Xns9533AE704334Dshinnerearthlinknet@207.69.1 54.205>...

> Hey, if they could make space for the "super special extra horny" Showgirls
> boxset.....

Hey, at least I once respected the guy who directed "Showgirls." Of
course, I also once respected the guy who directed "Gigli." So I guess
we all make mistakes. Huge, glaring mistakes...

-Eric

Justin

Galley wrote on [Wed, 28 Jul 2004 05:39:50 GMT]:
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:37:50 -0400, "Tony soprano" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> spewed forth these words of wisdom:
>
>>I stop in at Best Buy today to pick up the new releases.
>>
>>There aren't any copies of Whole Ten Yards with the new releases. I check
>>the alphabetized racks and find about 10 copies of the Full Screen Version.
>>
>>I ask a girl who works that dept where the WS versions are. She offers to
>>check the computer.
>>
>>She proceeds to pull up the Best Buy website. Like I couldn't have done that
>>myself.
>>

> You should've known better when she pulled up the Best Buy website, rather than
> the store's inventory software.
> I had a problem finding "The Meaning Of Life" a few weeks go when it was part of
> the 3 for $20 deal. The store inventory showed five, and the girl didn't stop
> looking until she found them. They were next to the register.

My god that annoys me. When they put movies in multiple locations, all
around the store. Usually I find that the location on the shelf in
alphabetical order is empty, so then I have to hunt through all the
endcaps, bargain sections, whatever, to find where the stash of 20-30
that are on an endcap in a completely different part of the store.

Invid Fan

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, Eric R.
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Shinner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<Xns9533AE704334Dshinnerearthlinknet@207.69.1 54.205>...
>
> > Hey, if they could make space for the "super special extra horny" Showgirls
> > boxset.....

> Hey, at least I once respected the guy who directed "Showgirls." Of
> course, I also once respected the guy who directed "Gigli." So I guess
> we all make mistakes. Huge, glaring mistakes...

Paul Verhoeven was doing a radio interview on the Shred and Ragan show
awhile ago (for whatever the "invisible man" movie was), and he
commented on how most of his films in some way looked back at his
childhood living through the bombings of Nazi Germany. To this, Ragan
asked, "And where does 'Showgirls' fit into this?"

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Tarkus

On 7/28/2004 6:12:24 AM, Eric R. wrote:

> Brian The Demolition Man Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>
>> Folks, it was a matter of time before places like BBY would pick up on
>> the Wal-Mart mentality of DVD selling (shelve five times as many P&S
>> copies and hire people who obviously can't tell the difference
>> between the two, or prefere P&S).

> Yeah, but people have been saying that since 1997. And it still hasn't
> happened. And with HDTV and widescreen TV's become cheaper and more
> popular, it seems a lot less likely today than it was then.

Especially since BB has a ton of WS TVs on their shelves. It makes no
sense for them to try and hide WS DVDs.
--
"There was no beer on the island, man. If they had beer they would have
had, like, big-ass orgies."

Douglas Bailey

Invid Fan wrote:
> Paul Verhoeven was doing a radio interview on the Shred and Ragan show
> awhile ago (for whatever the "invisible man" movie was), and he
> commented on how most of his films in some way looked back at his
> childhood living through the bombings of Nazi Germany. To this, Ragan
> asked, "And where does 'Showgirls' fit into this?"

Well, it *bombed*...

doug

--
"Kiss the arse of Uncle Sam; oh, to be an Englishman..."
--Killing Joke

Ollie T

So did you get the DVD?

HDTV games lists and discussions
http://www.hdtvarcade.com

"Tony soprano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I stop in at Best Buy today to pick up the new releases.
>
> There aren't any copies of Whole Ten Yards with the new releases. I check
> the alphabetized racks and find about 10 copies of the Full Screen

Version.

> I ask a girl who works that dept where the WS versions are. She offers to
> check the computer.
>
> She proceeds to pull up the Best Buy website. Like I couldn't have done

that
> myself.
>
> She does a search and it brings back both versions and she clicks on the

WS
> one and it doesn't give any details. It does however say "in stock ships

in
> 2-3 days"
>
> She then goes back and clicks on the FS version. It gives all the details
> like running time, rating etc. She then trys to tell me, "they only

released
> it in FS"
>
> I tell her no, go back a page. She does then I show her that both versions
> are available.
>
> Then she says, " If it's not a very big title they will only order the FS
> cause that's what everyone wants."
>
> I said " Wrong, Everyone doesn't want FS. I want WS not the butchered
> version." She then says, "Yeah I like WS too." I'll check in the back.
>
> She then disappears never to be seen again.
>
> So I am standing there looking pretty dumbfounded than another employee
> stops and offers to help.
>
> I explain what transpired and he says let me check. We go over to the

racks
> and he is unable to find one so he asks the guy who stocked the shelves.

He
> said they might be in back, there wasn't much space on the rack so he only
> put a few out.
>
> As we were walking toward the back he tells me that whenever that

particular
> guy stocks , he always puts out only the FS cause that is what he likes.
>
> This whole series of events just annoyed the hell out of me and I needed

> vent.
>
> T.
> --
> "Logout, that cookie **** makes me nervous!" - Tony Soprano

Black Locust

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Eric R.) wrote:

> And the last time I checked, widescreen versions still outsell P&S
> copies of the same movie by a pretty wide margin at most retailers. In
> fact, if you go over to Amazon.com you'll see that the widescreen
> edition of the Star Wars trilogy is ranked 4th in sales, and the
> fullscreen edition is ranked 157th.

Damn, that's a huge ****ing gap. Why does Lucas even bother with a pan &
scam release? We've all been forced to watch pan & scan VHS releases of
Star Wars for years now. There's no need for yet another P&S release of
these movies. Especially now when there's such a greater acceptance of
widescreen compared to the VHS days.

--
BL

Black Locust

In article <1azegee2mxrtd$(E-Mail Removed)9.com>,
Tarkus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Especially since BB has a ton of WS TVs on their shelves. It makes no
> sense for them to try and hide WS DVDs.

Well the original poster said it was just 1 idiot employee who was
hiding the WS discs. I doubt the rest of the staff was part of it. As
far as I'm concerned, that employee should be reported to management and
terminated immediately.
--
BL

Shinner

Black Locust <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:bl2112-
(E-Mail Removed):

> Why does Lucas even bother with a pan &
> scam release?

obviously there's money in it...maybe not as much as WS, but still
profitable.

Mike Kohary

Eric R. wrote:

> And the last time I checked, widescreen versions still outsell P&S
> copies of the same movie by a pretty wide margin at most retailers. In
> fact, if you go over to Amazon.com you'll see that the widescreen
> edition of the Star Wars trilogy is ranked 4th in sales, and the
> fullscreen edition is ranked 157th.

I noticed that on Amazon as well - one has to wonder when/if studios will
simply drop fullscreen altogether. Personally, I don't think it could be
soon enough.

Mike

Microsoft Employees =?Utf-8?B?am9yZGFu?= MCSD 1 05-03-2005 08:29 AM
Best Buy Employees Hubert Borrmann DVD Video 2 07-29-2004 02:41 AM
To Cisco Employees Diane Cisco 2 05-01-2004 10:21 PM
Met employees today Brat MCSE 35 01-29-2004 05:34 PM

Advertisments