Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD© Player Kills Family of Seven and Cat

DVD© Player Kills Family of Seven and Cat

americanfamilyagent207@livewire.com

From the Livewire Newsfeed

August 4, 2003

A New Mexico family was killed by a DVD player last Friday.
Authorities reported that it appeared that the DVD player had just
been purchased. Apparently an accident caused the player to fall off
the television set in their living room. It is suspected that the
family cat possibly knocked it down. The plastic case of the DVD
player became cracked during the fall to the floor, emitting the fatal
radiation which killed the entire family of seven.

Authorities were notified on Saturday when a relative came to visit
and found the family car in the driveway and no one would answer the
door. When the police arrived they used forced entry and were shocked
at what they found. There were dead bodies laying all over the living
room floor, including the husband, wife and five children. None of
them showed any signs of physical abuse, and all other possibile
causes of death have been ruled out. Authorities are positive the
deaths were caused by the DVD player.

Additionally, the first officer to enter the premises was struck down
and affected by the harmful radiation, and is hospitalized in critical
condition. The electric company was summoned and disconnected the
power to the premises before further action could be taken.

A cat was found laying right next to the fatal DVD player, which leads
to the suspicion that the cat was the cause of the player falling off
of the television.

Names of the family members are being withheld until further
investigation and notification of relatives of the deceased.
Funeral arrangements will be announced shortly.

GuitarMan

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> From the Livewire Newsfeed
>
> August 4, 2003
>
> A New Mexico family was killed by a DVD player last Friday.

LOL...that was funny...make it up yourself?

Electric Fan Club

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> From the Livewire Newsfeed
>
> August 4, 2003
>
> A New Mexico family was killed by a DVD player last Friday.
> Authorities reported that it appeared that the DVD player had just
> been purchased. Apparently an accident caused the player to fall off
> the television set in their living room. It is suspected that the
> family cat possibly knocked it down. The plastic case of the DVD
> player became cracked during the fall to the floor, emitting the fatal
> radiation which killed the entire family of seven.

Radiation? What radiation? The only radiation that you can get from a
damaged DVD player would be from the laser. Laser radiation doesn't kill,
but it can blind you, but only at close quarters from a DVD (or CD) player.

We can safely confine this story to the trash can.

Ian.

americanfamilyagent207@livewire.com

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:18:55 +0100, "Electric Fan Club"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> From the Livewire Newsfeed
>>
>> August 4, 2003
>>
>> A New Mexico family was killed by a DVD player last Friday.
>> Authorities reported that it appeared that the DVD player had just
>> been purchased. Apparently an accident caused the player to fall off
>> the television set in their living room. It is suspected that the
>> family cat possibly knocked it down. The plastic case of the DVD
>> player became cracked during the fall to the floor, emitting the fatal
>> radiation which killed the entire family of seven.
>>

>Radiation? What radiation? The only radiation that you can get from a
>damaged DVD player would be from the laser. Laser radiation doesn't kill,
>but it can blind you, but only at close quarters from a DVD (or CD) player.
>
>We can safely confine this story to the trash can.
>
>Ian.

Wrong
A powerful laser, such as that used in a DVD player, pointed directly
at a persons head destroys their entire brain in less than 1/1000th of
a second. Once the brain is destroyed, the heart and other organs
stop working. Apparently this is what happened.

CD players have lasers that are not as powerful, and it would take
hours of exposure. Toy laser "pointers" are too weak, and have no
effect at all, except for possible eye damage.

I am in the insurance business, and we deal with this regularly. DVD
players are extremely dangerous once the case is ruptured, exposing
the laser. Our company, and many other insurance companies are trying
to either ban dvd players, or force manufacturers to encase the laser
in a foolproof housing that can not be ruptured, tampered with, or
exposed, without disabling the power to the laser first.

Tad Bitt§ï£

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:18:55 +0100, "Electric Fan Club"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> ><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> From the Livewire Newsfeed
> >>
> >> August 4, 2003
> >>
> >> A New Mexico family was killed by a DVD player last Friday.
> >> Authorities reported that it appeared that the DVD player had just
> >> been purchased. Apparently an accident caused the player to fall off
> >> the television set in their living room. It is suspected that the
> >> family cat possibly knocked it down. The plastic case of the DVD
> >> player became cracked during the fall to the floor, emitting the fatal
> >> radiation which killed the entire family of seven.
> >>

> >Radiation? What radiation? The only radiation that you can get from a
> >damaged DVD player would be from the laser. Laser radiation doesn't

kill,
> >but it can blind you, but only at close quarters from a DVD (or CD)

player.

> >We can safely confine this story to the trash can.
> >
> >Ian.
> >

> Wrong
> A powerful laser, such as that used in a DVD player, pointed directly
> at a persons head destroys their entire brain in less than 1/1000th of
> a second. Once the brain is destroyed, the heart and other organs
> stop working. Apparently this is what happened.
>
> CD players have lasers that are not as powerful, and it would take
> hours of exposure. Toy laser "pointers" are too weak, and have no
> effect at all, except for possible eye damage.
>
> I am in the insurance business, and we deal with this regularly. DVD
> players are extremely dangerous once the case is ruptured, exposing
> the laser. Our company, and many other insurance companies are trying
> to either ban dvd players, or force manufacturers to encase the laser
> in a foolproof housing that can not be ruptured, tampered with, or
> exposed, without disabling the power to the laser first.

Yeah, right. Still, nobody believes this story which, by the way, was posted
in this very NG about a year ago by someone else. Your so called insurance
company must not have better things to do since the entire suggestion of dvd
or cd players for that matter can cause bodily harm other than laser in the
eye. A dvd transport would prevent the laser from running unless the clamp
or spindle locks the disc down over the laser assembly. The laser does not
move along the sled unless there is a disc to be read. Tell your story to
the tourists.

Jay G

GuitarMan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote ...
>> From the Livewire Newsfeed
>>
>> August 4, 2003
>>
>> A New Mexico family was killed by a DVD player last Friday.

> LOL...that was funny...make it up yourself?

Yes he did, although he made it up about a year ago:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...ble.rogers.com

-Jay

Joe Liquor

> Wrong
> A powerful laser, such as that used in a DVD player, pointed directly
> at a persons head destroys their entire brain in less than 1/1000th of
> a second. Once the brain is destroyed, the heart and other organs
> stop working. Apparently this is what happened.
>
> CD players have lasers that are not as powerful, and it would take
> hours of exposure. Toy laser "pointers" are too weak, and have no
> effect at all, except for possible eye damage.
>
> I am in the insurance business, and we deal with this regularly. DVD
> players are extremely dangerous once the case is ruptured, exposing
> the laser. Our company, and many other insurance companies are trying
> to either ban dvd players, or force manufacturers to encase the laser
> in a foolproof housing that can not be ruptured, tampered with, or
> exposed, without disabling the power to the laser first.

LOL! I thought I had the market cornered on making up unbelievable yet
funny bullshit stories.

Justin

Joe Liquor wrote on [Wed, 28 Jul 2004 00:49:32 GMT]:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Wrong
>> A powerful laser, such as that used in a DVD player, pointed directly
>> at a persons head destroys their entire brain in less than 1/1000th of
>> a second. Once the brain is destroyed, the heart and other organs
>> stop working. Apparently this is what happened.
>>
>> CD players have lasers that are not as powerful, and it would take
>> hours of exposure. Toy laser "pointers" are too weak, and have no
>> effect at all, except for possible eye damage.
>>
>> I am in the insurance business, and we deal with this regularly. DVD
>> players are extremely dangerous once the case is ruptured, exposing
>> the laser. Our company, and many other insurance companies are trying
>> to either ban dvd players, or force manufacturers to encase the laser
>> in a foolproof housing that can not be ruptured, tampered with, or
>> exposed, without disabling the power to the laser first.

> LOL! I thought I had the market cornered on making up unbelievable yet
> funny bullshit stories.

Maybe you do.

Rich

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > From the Livewire Newsfeed
> >
> > August 4, 2003
> >
> > A New Mexico family was killed by a DVD player last Friday.

> LOL...that was funny...make it up yourself?

I think this is the same guy who posted the "DVDs will give you venereal
disease" story a year or two back. His posts are memorable, you have to
give him that.

Craig

And if you believe this, I'll make you a special deal on the Brooklyn
bridge

Craig