Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > _Star Trek: TOS_ box sets to include original mono tracks

_Star Trek: TOS_ box sets to include original mono tracks

Douglas Bailey

I know there were several posters in this group who avoided the original
_Star Trek: TOS_ DVD releases because they only contained the 5.1-channel
remixed soundtracks and not the original mono sound.

Well, it looks like Paramount is addressing the issue on their upcoming
season sets of _ST:TOS_. From yesterday's DVDFile update:

> ...the [_ST:TOS_] box sets will feature remastered 4:3 full screen
> transfers and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround tracks (the original mono
> tracks are also included)...

I'm pleased to see this on the announcement: Paramount is usually good
about including original sound as well as any modern remix, and it's nice
that they're making good on their mistake.

doug

--
"Down in the basement, Cassandra splits hairs..."
--He Said Omala

jayembee

> I know there were several posters in this group who avoided the original
> _Star Trek: TOS_ DVD releases because they only contained the 5.1-channel
> remixed soundtracks and not the original mono sound.
>
> Well, it looks like Paramount is addressing the issue on their upcoming
> season sets of _ST:TOS_. From yesterday's DVDFile update:
>
> > ...the [_ST:TOS_] box sets will feature remastered 4:3 full screen
> > transfers and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround tracks (the original mono
> > tracks are also included)...

> I'm pleased to see this on the announcement: Paramount is usually good
> about including original sound as well as any modern remix, and it's nice
> that they're making good on their mistake.

Thanks for posting this, Doug. This is good news indeed!

-- jayembee

Jim Fraas

i AM GIVING SOME THOUGHT TO GETTING THE three SEASON BOX IN dEC.

--
A widescreen edition of a movie presents the film frame as it was seen in
the movie theater. This is the version that best preserves the filmmaker's

End of story!
"jayembee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>> I know there were several posters in this group who avoided the original
>> _Star Trek: TOS_ DVD releases because they only contained the 5.1-channel
>> remixed soundtracks and not the original mono sound.
>>
>> Well, it looks like Paramount is addressing the issue on their upcoming
>> season sets of _ST:TOS_. From yesterday's DVDFile update:
>>
>> > ...the [_ST:TOS_] box sets will feature remastered 4:3 full screen
>> > transfers and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround tracks (the original mono
>> > tracks are also included)...

>> I'm pleased to see this on the announcement: Paramount is usually good
>> about including original sound as well as any modern remix, and it's nice
>> that they're making good on their mistake.

> Thanks for posting this, Doug. This is good news indeed!
>
> -- jayembee

Douglas Bailey

Back when the _Star Trek: TOS_ season sets were announced, DVDFile
mentioned in summarising the press release that:

> ...the box sets will feature... Dolby Digital 5.1 surround tracks (the
> original mono tracks are also included)...

And I was very pleased about the appearance of the mono soundtracks, and I
said so here.

But now there are several reviews of the first-season box out, and they
suggest that the DD 2.0 tracks are *not* the original mono mixes, but
merely 2-channel versions of the remixed soundtracks:

"There are two tracks available for your listening pleasure: a Dolby
Digital 5.1 English remix, and a Dolby Surround English remix.
Unfortunately, the original monaural tracks are not included."
<http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?threadid=208472>

"English Dolby Surround soundtracks are also encoded onto the DVDs..."
<http://www.thecinemalaser.com/dvd_2004/st-tos-tc1s-dvd.htm>

"Paramount offers... a Dolby surround (two channel)...remix..."
<http://dvd.ign.com/articles/541/541923p2.html>

There are other reviews which don't mention the DD 2.0 tracks at all, but
none which claim that they're the original mono mixes.

So DVDFile's information was wrong, it seems, as was my earlier thread
title. It's a pity: I was really hoping that Paramount would do the right
thing (as they've so often done on their feature-film DVDs) and include the
original soundtracks along with the 5.1-channel remixes.

doug

--
"Stay away from the future; don't tell God your plans..."
--David Bowie

jayembee

Douglas Bailey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Back when the _Star Trek: TOS_ season sets were announced,
> DVDFile mentioned in summarising the press release that:
>
>> ...the box sets will feature... Dolby Digital 5.1 surround
>> tracks (the original mono tracks are also included)...

> And I was very pleased about the appearance of the mono
> soundtracks, and I said so here.
>
> But now there are several reviews of the first-season box
> out, and they suggest that the DD 2.0 tracks are *not* the
> original mono mixes, but merely 2-channel versions of the
> remixed soundtracks:

Thank you, Paramount. You just saved me a whole passle of
money.

-- jayembee (trying to look on the bright side of life)