Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Faerie Tale Theater

Faerie Tale Theater

Derek Janssen

As if it wasn't bad enough that one micro-company was playing
hide-and-seek with the "Fraggle Rock" disks (has ANYBODY found them at
Wal-Mart, as claimed?), now another mom-and-pop micro is messing with us
80's-cable fans' heads by having grabbed up the rights to the old
Showtime "Shelley Duvall's Faerie Tale Theater"--
http://www.starmaker2.com/scripts/pr...?idCategory=17

Like HIT's "Rock", Starmaker's playing the "hostage" act and saying that
they might rerelease the single-disks as collections "if sales bear out"...
But for now, it's a good excuse to pick up that Tim Burton version of
"Aladdin", or that Francis Coppola version of "Rip Van Winkle".

Derek Janssen

Vlvetmorning98

I'll pass. I'm still waiting for YOU CAN'T DO THAT ON TELEVISION.

Vlvetmorning98

Tim Burton's Hansel and Gretel-that I'll pay for

Maureen Goldman

>(E-Mail Removed) (Vlvetmorning9 wrote:
>Tim Burton's Hansel and Gretel-that I'll pay for

I recall that Robin Williams starred in a dandy "Frog Prince".

Michael Black

Maureen Goldman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> >(E-Mail Removed) (Vlvetmorning9 wrote:
> >Tim Burton's Hansel and Gretel-that I'll pay for

> I recall that Robin Williams starred in a dandy "Frog Prince".

I rather liked the Muppet version, from 1972 or so. Just about
the only real actor in the thing was Trudy Young. Kermit's nephew
Robin makes an early appearance. It was a one time special (oh, I
see the Muppets did a second fairy tale adaptation, that I sure
don't remember seeing), but I'm surprised they did not go
into a series of Muppetizing fairy tales.

Michael

Patrick Neve

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Maureen Goldman wrote:
> >(E-Mail Removed) (Vlvetmorning9 wrote:
> >Tim Burton's Hansel and Gretel-that I'll pay for

> I recall that Robin Williams starred in a dandy "Frog Prince".

And Frank Zappa stole the show in "The Boy Who Left Home to Find Out About
the Shivers", even with no dialogoue. But honestly, the laserdisc is
plenty fine for my needs.
Tim Burton's Hansel and Gretel... I'll second that.

Derek Janssen

Patrick Neve wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Maureen Goldman wrote:
>
>>>(E-Mail Removed) (Vlvetmorning9 wrote:
>>>Tim Burton's Hansel and Gretel-that I'll pay for

>>I recall that Robin Williams starred in a dandy "Frog Prince".

> And Frank Zappa stole the show in "The Boy Who Left Home to Find Out About
> the Shivers", even with no dialogoue.

And although Mick Jagger made a serviceable Emperor in "The
Nightingale", some still have nostalgic affection for Pam "Mindy" Dawber
as the Little Mermaid.
Jennifer Beals as Cinderella, however...ehh.

> Tim Burton's Hansel and Gretel... I'll second that.

Uh, there WASN'T one, he was just jumping for the lame gag...
(The version with Joan Collins as the witch, however, was none too shabby.)

Burton *did*, however, do "Aladdin", with James Earl Jones as the
genie(s), Robert "Revenge of the Nerds" Carradine as Al, Valerie
Bertinelli as the princess, and Leonard Nimoy as the evil wizard--
Not to mention, that particular kind of early 80's-Tim (post-Pee Wee,
pre-Beetlejuice, pre-pre-Nightmare Before Xmas) art direction that we
sort of lost forever after "Batman".

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

Stephen Cooke

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Derek Janssen wrote:

> Patrick Neve wrote:
>
> > Tim Burton's Hansel and Gretel... I'll second that.

> Uh, there WASN'T one, he was just jumping for the lame gag...
> (The version with Joan Collins as the witch, however, was none too shabby.)
>
> Burton *did*, however, do "Aladdin", with James Earl Jones as the
> genie(s), Robert "Revenge of the Nerds" Carradine as Al, Valerie
> Bertinelli as the princess, and Leonard Nimoy as the evil wizard--
> Not to mention, that particular kind of early 80's-Tim (post-Pee Wee,
> pre-Beetlejuice, pre-pre-Nightmare Before Xmas) art direction that we
> sort of lost forever after "Batman".

Speaking of Pee-Wee, there's also the Paul Reubens version of Pinocchio
(directed by, I think, Peter Medak?) with James Coburn, and Lainie (sp?)
Kazan as the Blue Fairy. Reubens is perfect for the role, although the
scene where he goes into the theatre and exclaims "This is going to be the
best show ever!" is a bit disturbing in retrospect.

swac
I'll hang to my laserdisc copy for now.

Derek Janssen

Stephen Cooke wrote:

>Burton *did*, however, do "Aladdin", with James Earl Jones as the
>>genie(s), Robert "Revenge of the Nerds" Carradine as Al, Valerie
>>Bertinelli as the princess, and Leonard Nimoy as the evil wizard--
>>Not to mention, that particular kind of early 80's-Tim (post-Pee Wee,
>>pre-Beetlejuice, pre-pre-Nightmare Before Xmas) art direction that we
>>sort of lost forever after "Batman".

> Speaking of Pee-Wee, there's also the Paul Reubens version of Pinocchio
> (directed by, I think, Peter Medak?) with James Coburn, and Lainie (sp?)
> Kazan as the Blue Fairy. Reubens is perfect for the role, although the
> scene where he goes into the theatre and exclaims "This is going to be the
> best show ever!" is a bit disturbing in retrospect.

And, on the roster of guest-name directors, can't leave out Roger
Vadim's shot-for-shot cribbing of Cocteau's "Beauty and the Beast", with
a typecast Klaus Kinski as the latter (and *still* an earnestly hamming
nutball), and a post-Janet/pre-Louise Susan Sarandon as, er...Beauty.

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

Vlvetmorning98

>> Tim Burton's Hansel and Gretel... I'll second that.
>
>Uh, there WASN'T one, he was just jumping for the lame gag...
>(The version with Joan Collins as the witch, however, was none too shabby.)

uh, THERE WAS. I think it was for the Disney channel, though, not FTT, so I may
be wrong there.

How To Connect Your PC to Your Home Stereo or Home Theater Silverstrand Front Page News 0 12-08-2005 01:29 PM
A Tale of Two PIXes Dustin Cisco 3 11-17-2005 05:27 PM
MSI Theater 550PRO @ Viperlair Silverstrand Front Page News 0 10-18-2005 03:57 AM
Ahanix D.Vine Home Theater case at bit-tech Silverstrand Front Page News 0 09-20-2005 03:35 AM
DOT NET! Job Stats tell a tale! biker MCSD 5 08-18-2003 04:40 AM

Advertisments