Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > APEX 600a DVD drive to PC - HOT

APEX 600a DVD drive to PC - HOT

Brad P

My APEX 600a DVD player is shot, it won't power up anymore. $50 to fix.

So I popped the drive out and plugged it into my PC, and a black resistor
closr to the power input overheats. I've read people actually getting this
drive working. Any ideas on the heat problem?

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 20:18:37 -0230, "Brad P" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>My APEX 600a DVD player is shot, it won't power up anymore. $50 to fix.
>
>So I popped the drive out and plugged it into my PC, and a black resistor
>closr to the power input overheats. I've read people actually getting this
>drive working. Any ideas on the heat problem?

The drive's shot. A direct replacement with another DVS DVDrom unit
will work. Toshiba units will also work with a firmware update.
Details at www.nerd-out.com

.. Steve .

Brad P

Thanks for the reply...will check it out.

"Steve(JazzHunter)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 20:18:37 -0230, "Brad P" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >My APEX 600a DVD player is shot, it won't power up anymore. $50 to fix.
> >
> >So I popped the drive out and plugged it into my PC, and a black resistor
> >closr to the power input overheats. I've read people actually getting

this
> >drive working. Any ideas on the heat problem?
> >

> The drive's shot. A direct replacement with another DVS DVDrom unit
> will work. Toshiba units will also work with a firmware update.
> Details at www.nerd-out.com
>
> . Steve .

BrooksVanPall

Sounds like a short in the power supply. If it is a large fat power
resistor that is getting hot, then
look for a short at one end of the resistor to ground. Look for a
zenner diode or a diode to
see if it is shorted. Look for very low resistance across filter
capacitors. Make sure your
unplugged from the wall when doing this.

Brooks

Brad P wrote:

>My APEX 600a DVD player is shot, it won't power up anymore. $50 to fix.
>
>So I popped the drive out and plugged it into my PC, and a black resistor
>closr to the power input overheats. I've read people actually getting this
>drive working. Any ideas on the heat problem?

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 09:25:39 -0700, BrooksVanPall
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sounds like a short in the power supply. If it is a large fat power
>resistor that is getting hot, then
>look for a short at one end of the resistor to ground. Look for a
>zenner diode or a diode to
>see if it is shorted. Look for very low resistance across filter
>capacitors. Make sure your
> unplugged from the wall when doing this.
>
>Brooks

Yes but he said that moving the DVDrom to another unit caused the
second unit to also have an overheating resistor, therefore it is the
DVDrom that is actually CAUSING the short, right? And these DVS
DVDroms have been known to develop shorts across the 5volt bus.

. Steve .
>Brad P wrote:
>
>>My APEX 600a DVD player is shot, it won't power up anymore. $50 to fix.
>>
>>So I popped the drive out and plugged it into my PC, and a black resistor
>>closr to the power input overheats. I've read people actually getting this
>>drive working. Any ideas on the heat problem?

Brad P

Its only the one unit, DVD-ROM unit that is. I removed it from the DVD
Player and plugged it into my PC.

I should try plugging it into my DVD Player again and see if it heats (if it
powers up for me)