Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > A new Macrovision free US player.

A new Macrovision free US player.

Jimmy Phillips

I had to replace both of our DVD players (along with a bunch of other
stuff) because of a direct lighting strike. I don't do anything fancy so
basic players do fine for us.

I went to Walmart and got a pair of Phillips DVP642's - ordinary DVD
players I thought.

I have been transfering my very extensive stash of VCR tapes to DVD by
playing them into an ATI All in Wonder card. The problem with that is
that the built-in Macrovision detection in the ATI card will trash any VCR
recording that is not about perfect - it assumes that an imperfect signal
is an attempt to record a copywrited video stream. So I run the signal
through an MV remover that is between the recorder and the PC.

Any original recording from VCR or DVD without the MV remover will be
detected and locked out by the card. So as I was watching a DVD movie on
my newly reconstituted setup, I happened to flip on the PC. The movie
was playing on my monitor and my MV remover was still on the floor and not
hooked up. THAT was interesting! I thought that I had gotten a new DVD
without copy protect. But...

Some extensive experimenting shows that these DVD players are totally
Macrovision and DeCSS free. They will feed a VCR direct and the playback
is perfect.

I don't copy DVDs - if I have the DVD why make another and I am certainly
not going to transfer DVD to inferior VCR - that would be dumb. But I
have a friend who does and he hot footed down to the store and got one
and it is also MV free.

I am pretty sure the law wasn't changed - Hollywood has much better
successes at buying Senators than tech companies.

So, my question after the long story is, what happened?

1. Some Phillips plant didn't follow instructions?
2. These were made for South America (or somewhere) and got transfered to
the US by mistake? I know that you can get any number of protection free
electronics from below the border.
3. Whatever?

Jimmy Phillips

3W

"Jimmy Phillips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> So, my question after the long story is, what happened?
>
> 1. Some Phillips plant didn't follow instructions?
> 2. These were made for South America (or somewhere) and got transfered to
> the US by mistake? I know that you can get any number of protection free
> electronics from below the border.
> 3. Whatever?

It's 3.

DVDfanatico

Go to http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

One of the posters said the unit is macrovision free right out of the box. Do
you know if it can play DVD-R's or DVD-RW's? I wish they'd make players that
play all DVD's.

-DVDfanatico