Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Planet of the Apes

Planet of the Apes

Spookshow

I'm interested in acquiring all of the original Planet of the Apes movies
from the 70s. I have the 35th anniversary edition of the first film - anyone
know if the rest of the series is slated for similar treatment? Also,
browsing amazon.com I see that there were some plain-jane releases at some
point in the past. Are these worth looking into?

Thanks,
-Mark

Michael Rogers

I believe they are still available. The releases are not bad but they
are not anamorphic, but 4:3 widescreen instead.

If you have a regular TV this will make no difference (and the picture
will be quite good)but it does make for less quality on a widescreen TV
(or a TV with anamorphic squeeze).

The sequels might get anamorphic relreleases in the future but I think a
full blown SE treatment for any of them is unlikely. For one thing, the
archival material from POTA is limited (almost all the stuff on the
anniversery edition had been available from other releases most notably
the image relese of Behind The Planet Of The Apes).

If Fox was really inclined, they could restore the scenes and alternate
takes from Conquest made to tone down the movie(as deleted or alternate
scenes). Also on Battle they can have the scenes inserted into the movie
for network TV (I have them through a DVD of an old Japanese laserdisc
release). But I don't think Fox is inclined.

Spookshow wrote:

> I'm interested in acquiring all of the original Planet of the Apes movies
> from the 70s. I have the 35th anniversary edition of the first film - anyone
> know if the rest of the series is slated for similar treatment? Also,
> browsing amazon.com I see that there were some plain-jane releases at some
> point in the past. Are these worth looking into?
>
> Thanks,
> -Mark

Ronald Cole

"Spookshow" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I'm interested in acquiring all of the original Planet of the Apes movies
> from the 70s. I have the 35th anniversary edition of the first film - anyone
> know if the rest of the series is slated for similar treatment? Also,
> browsing amazon.com I see that there were some plain-jane releases at some
> point in the past. Are these worth looking into?

The boxed set is non-anamorphic. Fox, as many others, are cheap
bastards.

<sarcasm>
So... don't expect to see the rest any time soon, but they will
probably be done before Fox releases remastered Lost In Space DVDs.
</sarcasm>

Ronald Cole <(E-Mail Removed)> Phone: (760) 499-9142
President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152