Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Blockbuster launches netflix-type service

Blockbuster launches netflix-type service

LP

http://www.hackingnetflix.com/netfli...uster_onl.html

what do you think? Evidently it's not the official version. The site
is http://beta.blockbuster.com

I just signed up and so far it looks good. I just wonder if they'll
have the same problems I've had with netflix.

lrulan

"LP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> http://www.hackingnetflix.com/netfli...uster_onl.html
>
> what do you think? Evidently it's not the official version. The site
> is http://beta.blockbuster.com
>
> I just signed up and so far it looks good. I just wonder if they'll
> have the same problems I've had with netflix.

I'm on this plan at my local Blockbuster. Excellent plan. The reason is I
live 2 minutes down the road from the store and I am in there almost
everyday. I am able to take out 2 dvds at a time and return them whenever,
no late fees. It works great for me because I am close to the store. I don't
know how it will work out for other who have to drive a long way to get to
the store. Also, it's cheaper than Netflix. I'm still on Netflix for the
dvds that Blockbuster doesn't carry, the older films and many of the tv
series dvds that BB doesn't have.

--

Irulan
from now until the end of time

Reginald Dwight

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"lrulan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm on this plan at my local Blockbuster. Excellent plan. The reason is I
> live 2 minutes down the road from the store and I am in there almost
> everyday. I am able to take out 2 dvds at a time and return them whenever,
> no late fees. It works great for me because I am close to the store. I don't
> know how it will work out for other who have to drive a long way to get to
> the store. Also, it's cheaper than Netflix.

I realize it's a coupla bucks per month cheaper but technically wouldn't
you rate its "cheapness" base on how many discs you get out in a month?

Mary D. Brown

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (LP) wrote:

> http://www.hackingnetflix.com/netfli...uster_onl.html
>
> what do you think? Evidently it's not the official version. The site
> is http://beta.blockbuster.com
>
> I just signed up and so far it looks good. I just wonder if they'll
> have the same problems I've had with netflix.

I've been a member of Netflix since 1999. Ha, a charter member. But when
Blockbuster went "online," last week, thought, ha, I'll give it the
"free trial."

Well, so far, Blockbuster sucks. My 12 year old son is into Star Trek
Voyager; Blockbuster Online only has the first season. Yeah, call me old
(and weird, ha), but I've been renting from Netflix the first season of
that TV show, The Waltons.

Netflix has them all, Blockbuster Online, doesn't. Blockbuster has like
5 of the 9 discs in the first season set. And Blockbuster Online has no
trace of Star Trek Voyager's 2nd and 3rd season. At all.

And Saturday (8/14) I returned three Netflix discs and two Blockbuster
discs. By today (8/16) Netflix has reported they've received the three
discs, and my next discs will be here by 8/17.

Blockbuster Online has reported, nothing. They've received, nothing.
When I mailed the Blockbuster returns to Seattle, WA, where I live. The
Netflix discs were mailed to Tacoma, WA (about 20 miles, from SEA)

I'll be cancelling Blockbuster, that's a given.

Netflix rules ....

Mary

Joe Kaffe

"Mary D. Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
---snip---snip---snip---
> I've been a member of Netflix since 1999. Ha, a charter member. But when
> Blockbuster went "online," last week, thought, ha, I'll give it the
> "free trial."
>
> Well, so far, Blockbuster sucks.

---snip---snip---snip---

> Netflix has them all, Blockbuster Online, doesn't.

---snip---snip---snip---

> And Saturday (8/14) I returned three Netflix discs and two Blockbuster
> discs. By today (8/16) Netflix has reported they've received the three
> discs, and my next discs will be here by 8/17.
>
> Blockbuster Online has reported, nothing. They've received, nothing.
> When I mailed the Blockbuster returns to Seattle, WA, where I live. The
> Netflix discs were mailed to Tacoma, WA (about 20 miles, from SEA)
>
> I'll be cancelling Blockbuster, that's a given.

I agree with everything you've said, but I'm going to give them one paid
month to get their act together. I like the idea of getting 2 free rentals
per month at one of their brick and mortar stores, they're a wee bit
cheaper, and they do carry some titles that Netflix doesn't. However, none
of that matters if their service remains abysmal.

Reginald Dwight

In article <lQDUc.106412$xk.24678@fed1read01>,
"Joe Kaffe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> and they do carry some titles that Netflix doesn't.

Do tell.

Goober22

Reginald Dwight wrote:
> In article <lQDUc.106412$xk.24678@fed1read01>,
> "Joe Kaffe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> and they do carry some titles that Netflix doesn't.

> Do tell.

"Adventures Of Ford Fairlane"

Blockbuster - Yes,
Walmart - Yes,
Netflix - No

Hey, you asked!

Reginald Dwight

In article <d43Yc.30890$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Goober22" <MrGoober22~NoSpam~@Yahoo~NOSPAM~.com> wrote:

> "Adventures Of Ford Fairlane"
>
> Blockbuster - Yes,
> Walmart - Yes,
> Netflix - No
>
> Hey, you asked!

Yes, I did but, hey - That's it!?

If you spent the time you could find a hell of a lot more than one
HUNDRED discs that are at Netflix but not at the other two, I'm guessing.

Joe Kaffe

"Reginald Dwight" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <d43Yc.30890$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Goober22" <MrGoober22~NoSpam~@Yahoo~NOSPAM~.com> wrote:
>
> > "Adventures Of Ford Fairlane"
> >
> > Blockbuster - Yes,
> > Walmart - Yes,
> > Netflix - No
> >
> > Hey, you asked!

> Yes, I did but, hey - That's it!?
>
> If you spent the time you could find a hell of a lot more than one
> HUNDRED discs that are at Netflix but not at the other two, I'm guessing.

Each carry titles the others don't. BlockBuster carries quite a few
documentary titles that are unavailable elsewhere for rental. I'm grabbing
as many of those I can before my renewal date.

I will have given BB a fair trial (6 weeks total) and I'm not at all
impressed. Perhaps someday they'll get their act together, but I'm not going
to keep paying to beta test their service! I've tried a number of on-line
rental services, and Netflix always comes out on top.

Reginald Dwight

In article <_dnYc.197514$Oi.86313@fed1read04>,
"Joe Kaffe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Each carry titles the others don't.

I just hope you aren't including WalMart in this scenario.

> BlockBuster carries quite a few
> documentary titles that are unavailable elsewhere for rental.

You mean "at Netflix" obviously. Again, short of "Ford Fairlane" I'm
very curious about some "for instance" titles that are at BB but not
Netflix.

TIA.