Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Surround speaker placement vs. Hollywood sound editors

Surround speaker placement vs. Hollywood sound editors

Grand Inquisitor

It's my understanding that proper surround speaker placement is on
either side of, and just behind, the listener, about three feet above
the head and aimed horizontally. But it seems that more and more people
are putting the surrounds farther behind them, almost where the rear
channel speakers on a 6.1 system go, and I've noticed that some movies
(and even videogames) take advantage of that kind of setup.

Anybody else notice what I'm talking about?

--

"The world cares very little about what a man or woman knows; it is what
a man or woman is able to do that counts."

--Booker T. Washington

Sparky

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 01:31:28 GMT, Grand Inquisitor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It's my understanding that proper surround speaker placement is on
>either side of, and just behind, the listener, about three feet above
>the head and aimed horizontally. But it seems that more and more people
>are putting the surrounds farther behind them, almost where the rear
>channel speakers on a 6.1 system go, and I've noticed that some movies
>(and even videogames) take advantage of that kind of setup.
>
>Anybody else notice what I'm talking about?

Dolby.com has placement recommendations.

Sounds to me like you have the right idea. The other folks you are
referring to are simply misinformed.

-Sparky

"She's mine, mine, mine you hear- you have all the wives you need!"
-Torgo

Grand Inquisitor

Sparky wrote:
> Dolby.com has placement recommendations.
>
> Sounds to me like you have the right idea. The other folks you are
> referring to are simply misinformed.
>
> -Sparky
>

> "She's mine, mine, mine you hear- you have all the wives you need!"
> -Torgo

The Master does not approve of incorrect speaker placement.

Trouble is, many sound editors seem to be mixing with the idea that the
surrounds will go in the rear.