Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Firefly

Firefly

Stan Brown

For those who don't know, /Firefly/ is set in a future galaxy where
the core planets are wealthy and urbanized but the border worlds are
a strange mix of high-tech and pre-tech images. The opening credits
capture it perfectly with a shot of a spaceship swooping over a
herd(*) of horses in a dusty Western-style landscape. The main
characters are 5 petty criminals on their own ship, trying to eke
out a living, plus 4 strangely assorted passengers. The dialog
crackles, the plots are satisfyingly complex, and the ensemble
acting is top-notch.

I just this weekend finished watching the 4-DVD box set. Talk about
a textbook example of a network screwing up a really good show!

When Fox broadcast it, they omitted the two-hour pilot and aired the
other episodes in jumbled order -- often with a gap of two or three
weeks between episodes. It seemed like a disorganized mish-mash to
me, because it was.

But watching the DVDs, with the episodes in order, it was a
completely different experience. The dynamics of the characters made
sense, and the humor came out. About half the episodes have
commentary, and most of the commentaries are interesting or funny,
or both. I'll definitely watch this set again and again.

I ordered my set from Amazon. The web site said it was in stock, but
a few days later I got an e-mail that my order was delayed, so I
ended up with the set a couple of weeks late. You might want to bear
that in mind if you order a set yourself.

(*) Is a group of horses a "herd"? Doesn't sound quite right.

(followups set to alt.video.dvd only)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

SoHillsGuy

<< I just this weekend finished watching the 4-DVD box set. Talk about
a textbook example of a network screwing up a really good show! >><BR><BR>

Just to make sure, you do know that a theatrical film is shooting as we speak
for an April 22 release, right?

Stan Brown

"SoHillsGuy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
><< I just this weekend finished watching the 4-DVD box set. Talk about
>a textbook example of a network screwing up a really good show! >><BR><BR>
>

>Just to make sure, you do know that a theatrical film is shooting as we speak
>for an April 22 release, right?

I do know -- the movie is called /Serenity/ and picks up 6 months
after the last episode, "Objects in Space", leaves off. But
<http://www.tvtome.com/Firefly/guide.html> says the movie will be
released 12-Nov-2004, not April 2005. Do you have more current
information than tvtome.com?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Myrnag2555

>(*) Is a group of horses a "herd"?

Yes.

jayembee

> I just this weekend finished watching the 4-DVD box set. Talk about
> a textbook example of a network screwing up a really good show!
>
> When Fox broadcast it, they omitted the two-hour pilot and aired the
> other episodes in jumbled order -- often with a gap of two or three
> weeks between episodes. It seemed like a disorganized mish-mash to
> me, because it was.

Contrary to popular belief, the order of the episodes was not FOX's
doing, except for their not wanting to air the pilot. Tim Minear has
said, in no uncertain terms, that he and Joss Whedon were responsible
for deciding which episodes to show in what order, given that the
pilot was not going to air. They tried to present episodes that would
give better background, or that they thought would grab people more,
in order to try to increase the ratings.

As far as the gaps in airing go, that was FOX's normal course of
business regarding their fall schedule because of baseball playoffs.

Where FOX fell down was primarily in their having no clue how to
market the series, and as a result, they made no attempt to aggressively
advertise it.

-- jayembee

jayembee

(E-Mail Removed) says...

>> Just to make sure, you do know that a theatrical film is shooting
>> as we speak for an April 22 release, right?

> I do know -- the movie is called /Serenity/ and picks up 6 months
> after the last episode, "Objects in Space", leaves off. But
> <http://www.tvtome.com/Firefly/guide.html> says the movie will be
> released 12-Nov-2004, not April 2005. Do you have more current
> information than tvtome.com?

How about Joss Whedon himself? He was the one who announced the
April 2005 date.

-- jayembee

Jim

Stan Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> (*) Is a group of horses a "herd"? Doesn't sound quite right.

"A team, harras, rag (for colts), stud (a group of horses belonging
to a single owner, string (ponies)" according to

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/help/faq/animals/names.htm

Jim

Russell

I picked up the DVD set last month, mostly out of curiosity. I
don't remember the original airing.

I was surprised at the high quality of the production. Its
cancellation is an outstanding example of the Neanderthal and
Luddite mentalities of the supposedly creative artistic media.
Another fine show lost in the vast expanse of the TV Wastelands.

Will /Serenity/ be just another ripoff of a TV series? I have
seen too many such fall victim to the arrogance of "artistic
licence".

Stan Brown wrote:

> For those who don't know, /Firefly/ is set in a future galaxy where
> the core planets are wealthy and urbanized but the border worlds are
>---------------CUT---------
> I just this weekend finished watching the 4-DVD box set. Talk about
> a textbook example of a network screwing up a really good show!
>
> --------------CUT-----------
>
> (*) Is a group of horses a "herd"? Doesn't sound quite right.
>
> (followups set to alt.video.dvd only)

jayembee

(E-Mail Removed) says...

> Will /Serenity/ be just another ripoff of a TV series? I have
> seen too many such fall victim to the arrogance of "artistic
> licence".

Since it's being produced by all the same people, I have no
reason to expect that it's not going to be as good as the
series was.

I supposed the same was said about the X-FILES movie, but,
to be honest, even there, I didn't think it was really any
worse than the series was at that point.

-- jayembee

Stan Brown

"jayembee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>> Will /Serenity/ be just another ripoff of a TV series? I have
>> seen too many such fall victim to the arrogance of "artistic
>> licence".

>Since it's being produced by all the same people, I have no
>reason to expect that it's not going to be as good as the
>series was.

I one of the featurettes on Disc 4, one of the execs (I don't think
it was Whedon, but it might have been him or Minear) expressed hope
that someone would see the theatrical movie and contact him about
spinning it off into a TV series. I get the feeling it was said only
partly tongue in cheek.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/