Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Region-Specific Players?

Region-Specific Players?

(Pete Cresswell)

Can't find the manuals in question, but it seems to me like one of them for my
Sony products said that if a disk from a different region were inserted that it
would be played but an internal counter would then be incremented.

X different regions: and something bad happens - can't recall whether the device
was to become inop or just frozen at the last region.

Does this make sense to anybody? Seems too weird to be a mis-recollection...
--
PeteCresswell

Gilgamesh

"(Pete Cresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can't find the manuals in question, but it seems to me like one of them

for my
> Sony products said that if a disk from a different region were inserted

that it
> would be played but an internal counter would then be incremented.
>
> X different regions: and something bad happens - can't recall whether the

device
> was to become inop or just frozen at the last region.
>
> Does this make sense to anybody? Seems too weird to be a

mis-recollection...
> --
> PeteCresswell

This is for DVD Drives in PCs.
After 5 region changes they lock into the last region.
Though depending on the drice you may be able to get some unofficial
firmware to remove that but it is not supported by manufacturers and your
drive could end up US.

Electric Fan Club

"Gilgamesh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "(Pete Cresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can't find the manuals in question, but it seems to me like one of them

> for my
> > Sony products said that if a disk from a different region were inserted

> that it
> > would be played but an internal counter would then be incremented.
> >
> > X different regions: and something bad happens - can't recall whether

the
> device
> > was to become inop or just frozen at the last region.
> >
> > Does this make sense to anybody? Seems too weird to be a

> mis-recollection...
> > --
> > PeteCresswell

> This is for DVD Drives in PCs.
> After 5 region changes they lock into the last region.
> Though depending on the drice you may be able to get some unofficial
> firmware to remove that but it is not supported by manufacturers and your
> drive could end up US.

Or download DVDregionfree and cut through the whole problem in one go.

Ian.

PeteCresswell

> Or download DVDregionfree and cut through the whole problem in one go.

Got an even better solution for the player issue: somebody who just
visited China bought me a Chinese player that is region-independent.

Another nice feature on it is "Direct Play" - hit that button and it
bypasses all the stern warnings, trailers, advertisements and other BS
- gets right down to playing the movie. Probably illegal, but it sure
is convenient.

All I have to do now is memorize what all the Mandarin characters on
the remote mean...-)